A brief assessment of the new songs - Mojo

Re: A brief assessment of the new songs - Mojo.

"the half-decade of no new Morrissey music since the prophetically titled Years Of Refusal was a drag, a bummer, even."

epicFAIL! AIMMN/KAL/PATSE/AH? Maybe traumatised and had electro-shock which erased memories of these demos? Morrissey is obviously a cash-cow for MOJO and the rest with their endless Smiths regurgitations, hence the lack of any 'critical' perspective. A compliant lamestream music media. Who knew? Here's the skinny/re-cap on the car-crash to date:

WPINOYB: Watch CNN, BBC News, take Mogadon, scribble inane cliches to a lumpen thud of a beat. Plaintively wail faux-empathy but forget that Bahrain,Egypt, Ukraine were/are fighting for a democratic voting system free of corruption.

EITLP: Ruin perfectly pleasant "imagine if Moz guested on next Santana album" scenario with The Klutziest Line Of All Time contender: "and humans are not really very humane". MOJO to run competition for replacement lyric: "I'm still alien in this emotional terrain", as example, but it has to scan to win prize. Etc

TBD: Celebrate the death of an animal,but a human one, "nobody cries", except maybe anti-Bullfight activists who realise that the thrill of a possibly dead bullfighter is part of the 'gladiator-matador' problem and sells tickets, advertising this as an outcome to be desired is not part of the solution.

Link to 'scene of crime' footage on YouTube to prove this is actually all happening. Copy article to Team Moz as part of pitch for EXCLUSIVE! interview when the full CD escapes....

Last edited:

Excellent comment, very informative. I shall check out the links later. I enjoyed The Netherlands doing the Nashville thing and agree that trying to get at Putin by bullying two teenager girls was fatuous. It was funny when the Danish hosts surprised Graham Norton. He had a chance to shine across the world and bottled it. Yes, nobody booed Israel because it's very, very LGBTIQ friendly, unless you're trying to go clubbing from Palestine. If Morrissey wanted to genuinely shake things up he'd cover "Heroes" at the new "security wall" between Israel/Palestine instead of gormlessly accepting the keys to Tel Aviv. Or Bowie would, instead of sticking his New York nose into Scotland's referendum. Of course, Morrissey doesn't mention Palestine in his closing ululation at the end of "WPINOYB" as this might "tamper with arrangements" for his next visit to Israel. Unlike both Roger Waters and Massive Attack who are openly critical with varying degrees of subtlety and diplomacy.

The only clubbing the LGBTIQ/Jews will experience in Gaza is by the bare hands of a mob.
Roger Waters and "subtlety and diplomacy"?! The man who made a comparison between Israel and Nazi Germany, and SA in its years of apartheid? Only simpletons and racists would concur with his views. Thank you Mr.Bumboy & Nazibiguous , you've exposed (yet again) your true nature.

Yes, but who exactly are "you"? Why on earth would I care what some anonymous wallflower on the interwebs thinks of me or their imaginary speculations about my life? I very much doubt this is your 2nd post on the forum, but couldn't care if it was your 2000th as I'm sure your other contributions to online culture are similarly inane.

If you read my comment history you'll find I use this site as a note-pad to muse about The Collapse Of Industrial Civilisation, especially the bit where The Celebrity Bread and Circus Culture of Caesar Obama Implodes. Morrissey poses as an 'anti-celebrity' but he's entirely a product of that doomed, preposterous ideology. As such, he fascinates me as a topic of study, but I also focus on others including Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus and Nine Inch Nails, for example, all of whom I shall see perform in concert next week at the splendid arena venues in Mordor. You probably imagine that Morrissey is more 'important' than Katy, Miley or Trent, but that's your problem. I see all of them as trapped in the bedlam of pseudo-fame with various spurious USP [Unique Selling Points] which they project to their sheeple audiences. Also, it's good fun and a chance to get pissed on Broad Street with the gang. I don't take any of this seriously (other than the Peak Oil/Climate Chaos/Collapsenik stuff!).

I certainly don't take Morrissey seriously and never did. He's an entertainer, part of the Repressive Tolerance culture of Manufactured Consent. Etc. However, he is certainly shaping up as an excellent alternative comedian with his absurd political manifestos and his imperious banning of dissenting patrons from his cult gatherings. He doesn't intend this, but that's how I choose to react. He makes me LOL!

If he could, he'd shut this site down or turn it into another "allyouneedissychophancy.com". That says more about him than any song ever could. "My Freedom Of Speech Is None Of Your Business", or his. So piss off. Both of ye!

Who exactly are any of us? And why should it matter? You don't care, yet you've dedicated three posts to me in the span of 12 hours. Your words and actions aren't consistent BrummieBoy, perhaps your absurd ego needs some titillation... The Collapse Of Industrial Civilisation, anti-celebrity, pseudo-fame...yada yada yada. Your posts are so nauseating, you come across like a second rate "NME" hack. Pretentious little squirt, I can tell by your prose you've been thoroughly emasculated throughout your pitiful existence. Look how you sidestep my questions and waffle on aimlessly reducing the readers to eye gouging tedium. No one wants to read your note pad musings, you great lummox. PLEASE, keep them to yourself, I know you're your own biggest fan and you probably spend as much time reading back your posts to yourself, (no doubt guffawing into controllable spasms), as you do creating them. Truly pathetic.
Stop craving validation from strangers and spend your free time with your family, go and be a responsible adult, you claim to have a real life outside this forum so go and live it. Do some DIY, gardening, golf...anything that gets you out the house, away from computers. Move along now.

Here is a pretty high quality audience recording of the three new songs in San Jose. Definitely a better representation than the YouTube audio.

https://soundcloud.com/docinwestchester/sets

Thanks! I have to say after listening to these recordings, which are of a much higher quality than the Youtube videos, I am really starting to like them. I have to confess I've had World Peace Is None of Your Business stuck in my head for the last couple of days--so I think that's a good sign.

Some people are just unreasonably hateful on here, but I understand why other more earnest people are actually disappointed. They are expecting another Vauxhall & I or Viva Hate and thus anything less than that level of genius will disappoint them. I understand that, but the truth is is that while they are far cry from Morrissey's best they're pretty good tracks. And they are loads better than The People Are the Same Everywhere. Thank god.

If Mojo really knew anything about Morrissey this is what their assessments would have been:

World Peace Is None Of Your Business: Remove everything that was musically decent about "Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed", slow it down, add more anti authority figure lyrics and two guitar solos.

The Bullfighter Dies: "Satan Rejected My Soul" slowed down with a splash of "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby" thrown in. Too short to actually please, not long enough to become a complete embarrassment.

Earth Is The Loneliest Planet: "When Last I Spoke To Carol" music with the lyrics to "All The Lazy Dykes". Neither are good on their own or together.

Second thought I am deleting this because I do not want to derail this thread by turning into a pointless internet argument about the Middle East.

New songs sound good guys.

Last edited:

The only clubbing the LGBTIQ/Jews will experience in Gaza is by the bare hands of a mob.
Roger Waters and "subtlety and diplomacy"?! The man who made a comparison between Israel and Nazi Germany, and SA in its years of apartheid? Only simpletons and racists would concur with his views. Thank you Mr.Bumboy & Nazibiguous , you've exposed (yet again) your true nature.

Morrissey made comparisons between Norwegian fast food franchises and Nazi Germany. And also Canadian elected politicians and Nazi Germany. So, are you trying to compare Morrissey and Roger Waters? You're not doing very well. Try again.

Gaza gays would go clubbing in Tel Aviv if they could get past the new Berlin Wall, that was my point. Nice homophobic ending with 'Mr.Bumboy'. Lots of gays died in Nazi camps alongside Jews. Can you see why your comment is 'problematic'? No wonder you posted it as 'anonymous'.

I believe Morrissey came on stage in LA last night with the words "Shalom! Shalom!". Perhaps he thought he was in Tel Aviv. "I was livid in Tel Aviv learning Yiddish". See! Anyone can write Morrissey lyrics. If they follow The Rules. *smirks*

Who exactly are any of us? And why should it matter? You don't care, yet you've dedicated three posts to me in the span of 12 hours. Your words and actions aren't consistent BrummieBoy, perhaps your absurd ego needs some titillation... The Collapse Of Industrial Civilisation, anti-celebrity, pseudo-fame...yada yada yada. Your posts are so nauseating, you come across like a second rate "NME" hack. Pretentious little squirt, I can tell by your prose you've been thoroughly emasculated throughout your pitiful existence. Look how you sidestep my questions and waffle on aimlessly reducing the readers to eye gouging tedium. No one wants to read your note pad musings, you great lummox. PLEASE, keep them to yourself, I know you're your own biggest fan and you probably spend as much time reading back your posts to yourself, (no doubt guffawing into controllable spasms), as you do creating them. Truly pathetic.
Stop craving validation from strangers and spend your free time with your family, go and be a responsible adult, you claim to have a real life outside this forum so go and live it. Do some DIY, gardening, golf...anything that gets you out the house, away from computers. Move along now.

Did some gardening today, walked dog over hills, replaced a washer on a tap, cooked lunch, watched "Fargo", drank a can of cider, then thought I'd check out the fun and games on Morrissey Solo. And guess what? "Anonymous" is still claiming not to read my posts yet compulsively replying to them quoting details. Fascinating.

If you choose to read my posts, then you're responsible for any consequent "eye gouging tedium". Please keep reading until you do gouge out your eyes and then at least it will be a respite whilst you learn a Braille keyboard. Next contestant......

Thanks! I have to say after listening to these recordings, which are of a much higher quality than the Youtube videos, I am really starting to like them. I have to confess I've had World Peace Is None of Your Business stuck in my head for the last couple of days--so I think that's a good sign.

Some people are just unreasonably hateful on here, but I understand why other more earnest people are actually disappointed. They are expecting another Vauxhall & I or Viva Hate and thus anything less than that level of genius will disappoint them. I understand that, but the truth is is that while they are far cry from Morrissey's best they're pretty good tracks. And they are loads better than The People Are the Same Everywhere. Thank god.

Read your comment again. Pay attention to the words I've highlighted. Your subconscious mind is communcating a powerful message to you. You feel the need to 'confess' your behaviour to the group, and have been troubled by obsessive ruminations about a particular song which you now feel is sending you a signal? I'm sure this is probably how the downward spiral began for CG. You end by thanking "God". I am pleased your religious faith is a comfort to you as it appears to be a comfort to Morrissey as he keeps blessing himself and wearing crucifixes years after doing the whole Mamma Roma Irish Catholic guilt trip stuff.

Second thought I am deleting this because I do not want to derail this thread by turning into a pointless internet argument about the Middle East.

New songs sound good guys.

Please exercise caution when "Istanbul" is available as it may contain controversy.

Morrissey made comparisons between Norwegian fast food franchises and Nazi Germany. And also Canadian elected politicians and Nazi Germany. So, are you trying to compare Morrissey and Roger Waters? You're not doing very well. Try again.

Gaza gays would go clubbing in Tel Aviv if they could get past the new Berlin Wall, that was my point. Nice homophobic ending with 'Mr.Bumboy'. Lots of gays died in Nazi camps alongside Jews. Can you see why your comment is 'problematic'? No wonder you posted it as 'anonymous'.

I believe Morrissey came on stage in LA last night with the words "Shalom! Shalom!". Perhaps he thought he was in Tel Aviv. "I was livid in Tel Aviv learning Yiddish". See! Anyone can write Morrissey lyrics. If they follow The Rules. *smirks*

Morrissey makes a comparison between the endless slaughter of animals and the Holocaust as he values animal life. Roger Waters, on the other hand, spits the lowest insult of all by referring to Jews (the victims in WW2) as Nazis, see why your comment on him being "subtle and diplomatic" is 'problematic' ? you're too predictable for your own good.

Many gays from Gaza have received help in Israel. The so called 'Berlin Wall' prevents suicide bombers from entering Israel. If Hamas and Fatah would stop hugging murderers and backtrack from their calls on the destruction of Israel, then maybe someday peace would be a reality.

I called you Mr.Bumboy as in 'a bum' in the usual sense of the word, see here :http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bum
.bum 1 (bŭm)
n.
1. A tramp; a vagrant.
2. A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others.
3. An incompetent, insignificant, or obnoxious person: The batter called the pitcher a bum.
4. One who is devoted to a particular activity or milieu: a beach bum.

I'm one of the first people here to defend gay people. Feel better? Funny how you let yourself get hurt and defensive yet see no problem hurting other people's feelings, even though they ask you repeatedly not to... Your favourite retaliation? Oh yes, "put me on ignore".

Don't get your last sentence, I suppose that's your special "humour". *smirks*

Okay, so I was hoping that these new songs would be worth the wait, but how can anyone really say they are comparable to the weakest output of any Morrissey songs. Seriously, look at songs like Disappointed, Interesting Drug, November, East West, Ouija, Sunday, Suedehead, National Front Disco, Reader Meet Author, Lucky Lisp, and the list goes on.

These new songs are very weak--poor to be kind. The poster who said seeing Morrissey now is like viewing a cover band with a singer who sounds a bit like Morrissey was correct.

I am not a hater; I wanted these songs to be like the mentioned above--even Ignore Me, Mute Witness, Hairdresser, etc.

If Morrissey had some clear vision, he would see this disappointing trend and actually realize what he has become.

Again, it would be great for these songs to be solid, but seriously? I can't see how anyone thinks they are great songs--even those with blue roses stuck in their ears and arses.

If Mojo really knew anything about Morrissey this is what their assessments would have been:

World Peace Is None Of Your Business: Remove everything that was musically decent about "Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed", slow it down, add more anti authority figure lyrics and two guitar solos.

The Bullfighter Dies: "Satan Rejected My Soul" slowed down with a splash of "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby" thrown in. Too short to actually please, not long enough to become a complete embarrassment.

Earth Is The Loneliest Planet: "When Last I Spoke To Carol" music with the lyrics to "All The Lazy Dykes". Neither are good on their own or together.

Brilliant assessment, Viva.

It was a long six minutes of listening.
To me, it sounded as if he was making up the words/melody while he was singing.

Enjoyed listening to the three new songs. Some thoughts:

World Peace…
First impression is that it's a work in progress (except that it's not). Some years ago Morrissey mentioned how hard it is it to come up with new vocal melodies. He's a master, but with his back catalogue you can't blame him for some repetition/less appealing examples. The lyrics are beyond "on the nose," but this is the Morrissey of today. People don't take notice of subtlety (or poetry) in pop music anymore. As blunt of a sentiment it expresses, there are no artists of note singing about things such this in popular music. We must not forget this. Musically I like it quite a bit. Everything comes together very powerfully in the latter part of the song ("So, many people in pain") just before the second guitar solo (first is superfluous). I think this will grow on me.

The Bullfighter Dies
Love this song! It's short, jangly, with memorable lyrics (love the adjective/city couplings, "Ill in Seville," hah) and of course one for the animals. The Smiths days of olde revived. Already singing to this one enthusiastically.

Earth Is The Loneliest Planet Of All
Hmmm. I do like this song, but it sounds like something that was left off Years of Refusal for being to similar to When Last I Spoke… Vocals are delivered with passion, and I do like the vocal melody of the main refrain. Again, hmmm…

Overall, exciting times and Morrissey is in fine vocal and physical form. Bring on the album!

Edit: Do we still not know who has co-written which tracks?? Just checked Warner-Chappell and there's nothing in the database yet.

Last edited:

Read your comment again. Pay attention to the words I've highlighted. Your subconscious mind is communcating a powerful message to you. You feel the need to 'confess' your behaviour to the group, and have been troubled by obsessive ruminations about a particular song which you now feel is sending you a signal? I'm sure this is probably how the downward spiral began for CG. You end by thanking "God". I am pleased your religious faith is a comfort to you as it appears to be a comfort to Morrissey as he keeps blessing himself and wearing crucifixes years after doing the whole Mamma Roma Irish Catholic guilt trip stuff.

Thank you very much for your concern about my well-being.

Umm. When exactly?

A self-proclaimed neo-Nazi mowed down left-wing 'cultural Marxists' on Utoya, but Morrissey initially thought that was 'nothing' compared to what happens in fast-food industries every day. Then he woke up. Did you think Brievik was inspired by Jesus and Gandhi?

"Breivik vill deportera "illojala judar""

"Anders Behring Breivik claims that he seeks a “pure Nordic ideal.” He argues that the “Nordic race” is being eradicated, and wants to form a Nazi party in Norway like the Swedes’ Party. He mentions several notorious right-wing extremists in Norway whom he wants to lead the party, including Varg Vikernes and Erik Blucher.

“We lost the European civil war (World War II),” writes Brevik, addressing the nationalists who he believes should endorse his “peace proposal.”
Breivik also identifies himself as part of “Western Europe’s fascist movement.” For there to be peace, Breivik believes that “nationalists” should be offered Southwestern Østfold in Norway to ensure “the survival of native Norwegians and Scandinavians.” Breivik wants to see similar parcels of land distributed to whites in several European countries.

Breivik writes in addition that his love of Israel consists only in its future function as a place to deport “disloyal Jews.”

Anders Behring Breivik also writes that he does not think he will survive in prison, where he claims he has been tortured."

http://expo.se/2014/breivik-vill-deportera-illojala-judar_6336.html

Have another listen to "Scandinavia". I don't think Morrissey was reprising his infatuation with Morten Harket! LOLOLOLOL! It's a complicated song, both an apology and a provocation..... He should have played it at the Nobel Peace event. That would have been utter lulz. But, as usual, he went to the cliff edge, looked down into the fjord below and he bottled it! When I've given it a Death Metal Remix at three times the current tempo, it will make sense.

how hard it is it to come up with new vocal melodies. He's a master, but with his back catalogue you can't blame him for some repetition/less appealing examples.

there are no artists of note singing about things such this in popular music. We must not forget this.

The Smiths days of olde revived.

If he was a 'master' of vocal melody, that would include innovation. He isn't.

Who is this "we" you speak on behalf of? Oh, the Cult of Morrissey. No, there's nobody else doing this in popular music. That Thom Yorke really needs to stop all the 'moon in June love tunes':

"The west is creating an extremely dangerous economic, environmental and humanitarian timebomb." Thom Yorke Opinion. The Guardian. 8/9/2003.

Yes, ye olde Smyths cliches revived, but wit a bit of StatusqOasis thrown in.

Back
Top Bottom