Bands/singers you knew before anyone else/and/or before they did got famous...

sistasheila

tjekket
they are surely some I knew as well before they did get famous but Im too lazy too think about right now ..
what about you?
some Bands/singers you knew before anyone else/before they did got famous(aka high chart placement etc)...?

heading: Bands/singers you knew before anyone else/and/or before they did got famous
oops: i think anyone is not the correct word-isnt it?
.. isnt it anybody instead of anyone??
..ahh that tricky english grammatics sometimes:p

Last edited:
Me and twenty five others watching The Ting Tings in April 2007 - and reported their expected fame on this very site the next day:guitar:

I also interviewed The Inspiral Carpets in May 1989 just months before the ''Madchester Explosion'' and Noel Gallagher was their roadie and in the room when I interviewed them (as was unknown support band 808 State and MC Tunes!)

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
I missed The Sunday's first London gig in August 1988.

Later I noticed their name was in some flyers I kept. :(

Still I was lucky to witness rebirth of James in March 1989 (I managed to see all the gigs).

Last edited:
What about post? I was really good mates with Chris Helme from the Seahorses for a few years when I was in my teens, he worked in the cafe I worked in as his wife owned it. He was very supportive of my old band and one of the funniest people I've known.

I saw Glasvegas and The View as support bands, and The Fratellis at an instore a couple of years ago.
Mostly just Glasgow bands.

I don't think anybody else knows them cause they are Hungarian: I saw Quimby 12 years ago in Budapest, with my then boyfriend, a French guy, and his friends. I'd never heard of the band before; they produced their 10th album last year. Saw them live just a couple of days before Christmas.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b3ek3_hK0o8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b3ek3_hK0o8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

2 words: Avenged Sevenfold

And this was like 5/6 years ago. I interviewed them for my radio show in college, they let me back stage at a bunch of gigs, we went drinking together after their gigs, hung out at festivals etc. But sadly, I will never be able to get close to them again. It's quite sad because I know they are lovely guys and were always so much fun to be around and very nice and polite to me.

But once they signed to Warner Bros. records I knew it was just a matter of time before it was all going to be in the past... :tears:

I saw Florence and the Machine supporting Pete Doherty about a month before they started being played all the time on the radio... :p

The Libertines, Dropkick Murphys, Modest Mouse...The Social (Who aren't famous yet admittedly, but give it two years :p)

when I in college, i used to chat to this guy in the black shirt, does any one recognize him?:D

My mother was friends with The Stranglers, although admittedly it was when they were already fairly famous. Jet Black taught her how to use chopsticks and she has letters from J.J. Burnel. :D At an early gig, Hugh Cornwell (I think it was him) said some between-song banter about my mother and her friend. :D

More people she met when they were fairly famous by going around asking bands for free tickets: Bob Geldoff, who was reluctant to give her free tickets; and someone in UB40, who not only gave her free tickets but bought her a Drifter too. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom