Do you share Morrissey’s taste in music?

Tbevie

Girl afraid
I think for the most part I don’t share his taste.

Kristeen Young, Sons and Daughters, Sparks, Nico and Franz Ferdinand aside I don’t really like any Bands/artist that Morrissey likes. Although I do like some of his song choices on ‘Under the influence’.

I find it quite strange that I can love someone’s music so much but not the music that they love and that has influenced and inspired them.

What are your thoughts?

Kristeen Young, Sons and Daughters, Sparks, Nico and Franz Ferdinand aside I don’t really like any Bands/artist that Morrissey likes. Although I do like some of his song choices on ‘Under the influence’.

I find it quite strange that I can love someone’s music so much but not the music that they love and that has influenced and inspired them.

What are your thoughts?

It's not strange, innovators rarely listen to music that is anything like thier own. Elvis liked gospel for example, Ice T likes Phil Collins!

Most musicians make great music by accident, they are trying to do one thing but it comes out all 'wrong' and that's their style!

What are your thoughts?

interesting question, i love Sparks and the New York Dolls.. Marianne Faithfull, Patti Smith and Nico are a given.. Magazine i´ve listened to a lot again lately, Jobriath, Klaus Nomi.. and i like to listen to a bit of Sandie Shaw from time to time.. i find it interesting to listen to the bands that artists that i like love.. often that´s very rewarding, sometimes it´s not..

Last edited:
I love most artists he likes...LUDUS!!!!! NY dolls, Sparks, Patti Smith, Klaus Nomi, Jobriath, Rita Pavone...I actually listened to most of them before I even got into Morrissey. I also like Echobelly (I think he likes them)..
However, I am not a fan of Kristen Young. First of all, I dont like how her name is used for both of the people...I'd really hate to be the drummer..I think if it's a duo, at least make it two a combination of two people's names...because otherwise makes the one person sound a bit arrogant (I do realize that Morrissey's band is not credited bla bla bla...). Second of all, I think that with a little bit of structure and a stronger message, there could be something made of that band. However, it appears to be a little bit too late for that.

:eek: :eek: :eek: There is two classic rockabilly tracks on that! F**k Young and 'hey Joe'.

yea sorry SG I know you love love love rockabilly.. I tried to get into it, but I can't.
That Saturday nite special, I was all excited about it cause In the liner notes (I posted them in an earlier thread) he said he had been looking for the track for years.

But does he really like Franz Ferdinand? It's difficult for me to assimilate this, I like them, but I never thought Morrissey could like them too....it's not the kind of music he uses to like...

Last edited:
But does he really like Franz Ferdinand? It's difficult for me to assimilate this, I like them, but I've never thought Morissey could like them too....it's not the kind of music he uses to like...

Oh God he cannot possibly like that music. Honestly, Morrissey is a purist (with a couple of flaws here and there, but he's also human) he could never listen to that terrible poor excuse for music. Where did you hear that he likes them?

yea sorry SG I know you love love love rockabilly.. I tried to get into it, but I can't.
That Saturday nite special, I was all excited about it cause In the liner notes (I posted them in an earlier thread) he said he had been looking for the track for years.

Saturday Nite Special was released on the swallow label by Paul McCartney in 1969:D Us rockabillies have some surprising celebrity support:D

I prefer wild shifts of eclecticism (sp?) to Morrissey strict Anglophilia and strong indie ethic. I have strong indie ethic as well, mind you. I love Patti Smith and most of what Morrissey likes. I think he is a bit exclusive in his tastes though and may miss out on good artists because of their genre rather than talent. That's all.

I seem to like alot of music he likes such as New York Dolls, Ludus, Sandie Shaw, Patti Smith, Sparks and even a few Kristeen Young songs. But on the pre gig music I downloaded recently there was some stuff I had to skip such as Jobriath and Pony Club.

I find Morrissey's music taste very intriguing and unique.

I, too, have the Under the Influence album and I find that I enjoy most of it. (The first track, "Saturday Night Special," is one of my favorite songs EVER!)

Because of Morrissey, I REALLY got into Billy Fury. I think he is amazing.

I also like Marianne Faithfull and Franz Ferdinand. I would like to hear more from Sandie Shaw. Klaus Nomi is interesting. I rather like him.

I don't think I will ever like Patti Smith though. Sorry! I know she is popular.

Oh God he cannot possibly like that music. Honestly, Morrissey is a purist (with a couple of flaws here and there, but he's also human) he could never listen to that terrible poor excuse for music. Where did you hear that he likes them?

He did a collaborative magazine interview (I forget which magazine) with Franz Ferdinand, in which he posed in photos with them. Both artists confessed to their mutual admiration.

He did a collaborative magazine interview (I forget which magazine) with Franz Ferdinand, in which he posed in photos with them. Both artists confessed to their mutual admiration.

It was from the NME I think. I have a huge poster Of Moz and Franz from there on my wall. :)

But does he really like Franz Ferdinand? It's difficult for me to assimilate this, I like them, but I never thought Morrissey could like them too....it's not the kind of music he uses to like...

Well, he was interview by them in the NME and he only had nice things to say about their music. I've also herd him say good things about them in other interviews.

Fifty-fifty. Half the time I've picked up CDs by those who have influenced Morrissey, I've loved them. Half the time, not. His taste is really made for a mix tape/iPod playlist sort of thing, so it's kind of meaningless to talk about artists he loves. For instance, Bolan is wonderful but I find I enjoy listening to a selection of my favorite songs more than listening to entire albums of his. Morrissey loves 45s and that's how his taste works, for the most part, so when he says he loves Bolan I'm guessing that he likes a handful of songs and combines that with a deep personal admiration for Bolan as a man.

I think it's interesting to explore his influences because it helps you understand certain choices in his career, namely the backing band he picked as a solo artist and how he uses them. I gather he likes singles more than albums, singers more than bands, and genuine, messy personalities who happen to have chosen pop music as their mode of expression rather than polished, technically accomplished artists. All of that's reflected in his solo career.

Last edited:

I loved reading his "Under the Influence" liner notes (except the part where he compared women to disease-carrying rats) and related very much to his passionate, lifelong obsession with music. I've had similar experiences of being haunted by a song for years, even decades.

Having said that, I only share some (maybe half) of Morrissey's faves: Patti Smith, genius; Nico; Smoking Popes; Kristeen Young; some Sparks. I enjoy the New York Dolls, but I'm not el loco about them like Moz. I think a rock writer once described them as "a destitute man's Rolling Stones" and that seems pretty apt to me.

Back
Top Bottom