Does Morrissey love himself?

Dabb hands

A friend of mine who is not a fan (per say) but shares his birthday (and an uncanny amount of emotional/personality traits) asked me this question. I told her I would consult the forum.
She would also like to know if he forgives himself, but I don't see how this is applicable when he never blames himself to begin with. We appreciate your input.

Re: Does Morrissey love himself ??

Assuming that she means, 'Is he an arrogant, pretentious narcissistic twat?' well - it's all subjective isn't it?

If I had lived Morrissey's life then I'm sure i'd be exactly the same. In my opinion, he's allowed to be whoever he his. He can be as arrogant as he likes so long as he doesn't complain to me when he gets people criticising his persona.

Anyone who dares to be different will always attract venom, and I do know this from personal experience.

On the being able to forgive himself front, I imagine self loathing is high on his agenda. He's always come across as the sort who'll have a spat and then go and lick his wounds for a few days and give himself a bit of a kicking.

I never understood the idea of loving yourself, that's always struck me as a thing for people who've spent too long in therapy. You just get on with it don't you?

A friend of mine who is not a fan (per say) but shares his birthday (and an uncanny amount of emotional/personality traits) asked me this question. I told her I would consult the forum.
She would also like to know if he forgives himself, but I don't see how this is applicable when he never blames himself to begin with. We appreciate your input.

Consulting 'the forum' was probably your first big mistake :lbf:

i think hes probably conflicted about things like everyone else. i do see a contentment with himself in the albums that i didnt before from quarry to world peace but its impossible to tell if im just reading in what i want to see. that said i think he sees himself as triumphant against the older issues hes dealt with most of his early life and has moved on to more external issues in his life. no ones problem free but i think him more content and happy thn ever. that said who knows really, i dont

I think so-he knows he's handsome and talented. I do think he has insecurities like anyone else. He's a person like you.

This one is tough. Because he himself claims to be unattractive and physically repulsive A LOT in songs and even in interviews, but...then, he rips his shirt off in front of thousands and shows himself as he is. (I utterly loathe myself in the highest manner possible and it'd be a cold day in hell before I removed my shirt in front of strangers...er...anyone, really.) That behavior of his has always confused me greatly. If you hate yourself...honestly despise the skin you're in and everything about you, I feel as if you'd most likely keep to yourself and try not to wear flashy things...let alone strip down and bear it all or travel from place to place to sing in public.

I think he loves himself. I also think he knows he's damn sexy as hell (pardon my frankness). He can sing the other way all he wants, but...he's gotta love everything about himself. If he hated himself, he'd never leave his house (I speak from experience) and he sure as heck wouldn't open that lovely mouth of his to say a word.

This one is tough. Because he himself claims to be unattractive and physically repulsive A LOT in songs and even in interviews, but...then, he rips his shirt off in front of thousands and shows himself as he is. (I utterly loathe myself in the highest manner possible and it'd be a cold day in hell before I removed my shirt in front of strangers...er...anyone, really.) That behavior of his has always confused me greatly. If you hate yourself...honestly despise the skin you're in and everything about you, I feel as if you'd most likely keep to yourself and try not to wear flashy things...let alone strip down and bear it all or travel from place to place to sing in public.

I think he loves himself. I also think he knows he's damn sexy as hell (pardon my frankness). He can sing the other way all he wants, but...he's gotta love everything about himself. If he hated himself, he'd never leave his house (I speak from experience) and he sure as heck wouldn't open that lovely mouth of his to say a word.

The shirt thing- he just doesn't care. He speaks of being fat in the book yet even at his heaviest he's sang entire songs topless.

I remember on the us tour I just knew he didn't feel well. He would stand there with the blazer and the shirt on the entire show. He looked uncomfortable.

its possible to understand the effect your person has on others and to use it to get a certain reaction from others but his own personal opinion of how he views himself can be very different than the reaction he gets from others. i suffer from this a lot as i see myself as an ugly possibly average looking person but others do not and i accept that and use it to my advantage even if i dont agree. i cant even say this out loud in public though as people will get angry with me for not seeing myself the way they do and jump to conclusion of baiting for compliments etc. people have body dysmorphic issues all the time. when i tried to explain why i felt this way about myself on another forum i got a lot what felt like anger, confusion and hateful resentment as they just thought me pompous and refused to believe i truly felt this way. mostly that just teaches people to shut up about it and internalize the issue cause who wants to argue that they really do feel bad about they way they look. its like making competition out of whos had the most poverty ridden abusive childhood but like a group of drug addicts retelling the same story i see people do it ll the time.

Threads like this are silly. Everyone is fond of themselves to some extent.
Moz just happens to have a little more of an eccentric personality --
LIKE MOST OF US! Of course he loves himself and has every right to. I'm the first to admit I love myself.
I'd pound my own ass if I had written There Is A Light That Never Goes Out.

Back
Top Bottom