"Everyday Is Like Sunday" from "Morrissey 25: Live" video - NME.com

He doesn't release an album with the aim of it achieving modest sales.

If he was once selling 250,000 copies of an album, and now sells 90,000 or so that isn't really a sign of success is it? Perhaps in Topsy Turvy Land.

The Hollywood High footage shows a man who appears rather unwell, for whatever reason. I don't know if it was shot before, during or after the ulcer, but he looks terrible, and far older than his years. The change in him in just the nine years between the two clips is quite shocking.

Can he come back? He's done it before, so yes, it is possible. As the years pass it becomes less likely, though.

It's after the ulcer. I saw him at Terminal 5, Brooklyn Academy of Music, and Strathmore just a few months earlier and I was a little bit surprised by how he looked in this video. Maybe the thrill of the live performance masked his true appearance to me or maybe he really was sick with an ulcer. I don't know, but I was a little surprised. I'm tried to find some video of Morrissey from the tour pre-ulcer for comparison, but it's all really shitty stuff filmed with people's iPhones and than posted to youtube. It's hard to compare such videos to a professional recording. On editing this post--this about the best I could find. From the Terminal 5 gig I went to--

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when I first logged on to this site. It was 1997 and just after the Maladjusted Tour had ended. Even then, EVEN THEN, this place was full of people p*ssing on his band. Everybody was going on and on and on and on about how the band sucked, the songs sucked and he should definitely get new songwriters in or throw in the towel. Fast forward to now, and all that is now regarded as "the good old days" and Alain & Boz regarded as pure gold. Oh, how the hamster wheel turns.

I remember when I first logged on to this site. It was 1997 and just after the Maladjusted Tour had ended. Even then, EVEN THEN, this place was full of people p*ssing on his band. Everybody was going on and on and on and on about how the band sucked, the songs sucked and he should definitely get new songwriters in or throw in the towel. Fast forward to now, and all that is now regarded as "the good old days" and Alain & Boz regarded as pure gold. Oh, how the hamster wheel turns.

Strange example, as I don't think even Morrissey likes Maladjusted, and Roy's Keen is about the worst pile of shit he has ever released.

Jesus. He looks like his own ghost. The workload he has put himself through in the last few years would knock the wind out the sails of a man twenty years younger. Why does/did he need to keep up this pace? I don't favour the "he loves his fans" explanation. I think it is something far more prosaic.

Always get a frisson at the segue from Subway Train to Sunday... Love this version.
Just watched Little Barrie the other day playing with Primal Scream before the Stones at Glastonbury. He's a good guitarist.

It is obviously much better than the version in the news item above but I really don't think this level of live shows is unattainable again. He'll be back.

I very much hope he does come back.

The reason I posted the Move clip was to compare and contrast the two performances, not just the music or the way the song is being played, but the overall visual/aural effect.
Moz looks and sounds jaded, tired and (possibly) unwell on the 25:Live clip.
The contrast between these two versions is so huge that it's hard to believe only 9 years have gone by.

For all those with limited comprehension skills, I was not criticising Morrissey or the band, just expressing my surprise (sadness?) at how different things can be after such a relatively short period of time.

I wish Morrissey all the best, hope he gets well soon and gets back to being his usual self, the greatest singer and lyricist of his generation and beyond.

Last edited:
Marketing has a lot to do with album sales success. This you surely knew. Music quality is only a small factor and whether or not someone likes the music is a matter of personal preference anyway. :cool:

Morrissey is an inspiration. This morning on "Wild Card Wednesday" I got to say on-air that Chef Ramsey should get punched in the face for endorsing fois gras. I couldn't have done it without my hero Mozzer's inspirational words. :D

He doesn't release an album with the aim of it achieving modest sales.

If he was once selling 250,000 copies of an album, and now sells 90,000 or so that isn't really a sign of success is it? Perhaps in Topsy Turvy Land.

The Hollywood High footage shows a man who appears rather unwell, for whatever reason. I don't know if it was shot before, during or after the ulcer, but he looks terrible, and far older than his years. The change in him in just the nine years between the two clips is quite shocking.

Can he come back? He's done it before, so yes, it is possible. As the years pass it becomes less likely, though.

Oh please. Album sales are meaningless at determining whether an album is brilliant. Patti Smith's Horses is considered to be one of the most brilliant albums of all time and I would be surprised to learn if it sold very many units at all (though I could be very wrong). In fact, I was just reading about Neutral Milk Hotel and their seminal album, considered by many to be brilliant, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea has sold only 300,000 copies since it came out nearly 15 years ago. This was pretty shocking to me and I was astonished by how low this number was (in fact if somebody told me this wasn't true I wouldn't be a bit surprised). This in spite of the fact that wikipedia tells me that "The album continues to sell well, and was the sixth-best-selling vinyl album in 2008."

Brilliance is not determined by record sales. That being said I do not think that Morrissey's last album was anything approaching brilliant, but I don't think it was a terrible album. In fact, I would say it was a good album. And the reviews in the commercial press would back me up on this--4 Stars from All Music Guide, which only gave Viva Hate, Your Arsenal, Vauxhall and I, You Are the Quarry four and half stars. Hell, All Music Guide only gave Meat is Murder 3 1/2 stars (and no I don't believe that Years of Refusal holds a candle to Meat is Murder nor is it merely half a star away in quality from Moz's best solo work). Pitchfork Media gave the album 8.1/10, NME 8/10. The Guardian, Rolling Stone, and Q all gave it three stars and Spin and Uncut gave the album 4 stars. Meaningless metrics yes, but indicative of how out of touch some of the naysayers are here.

The point being is this--the Smiths were a brilliant band and one of the most innovative bands of popular music of the last thirty years. They are also my personal favorite band of all time. Morrissey's solo career has had ups (Viva Hate, Bona Drag) and downs (Kill Uncle, Maladjusted). He's one of the greatest artists of all times and probably my favorite artist after the Smiths. That being said his output for the last ten years has not been the most brilliant and innovative work of music in general of the last ten years. But it hasn't been terrible. It's been pretty good.

So in summary--Morrissey is a legendary music figure who has been involved with some of the most innovative and brilliant music of the last 30 years, he continues to record albums that are good and well-recieved critically, he tours regularly (when he's not canceling) selling out venues that are about the size expected for a cult indie artist, and people here think his career has reached some unprecedented low in all of musical history and he should quit.

I am not of the Morrissey can no do wrong crowd, he can, but I am also not of the Morrissey can no do right crowd either. And I find both groups of people similarly delusional and out of touch with reality. I suspect both groups are suffering from a heavy dose of nostalgia and reacting to it in very different ways.

This.

The point being is this--the Smiths were a brilliant band and one of the most innovative bands of popular music of the last thirty years. They are also my personal favorite band of all time. Morrissey's solo career has had ups (Viva Hate, Bona Drag) and downs (Kill Uncle, Maladjusted). He's one of the greatest artists of all times and probably my favorite artist after the Smiths. That being said his output for the last ten years has not been the most brilliant and innovative work of music in general of the last ten years. But it hasn't been terrible. It's been pretty good.

So in summary--Morrissey is a legendary music figure who has been involved with some of the most innovative and brilliant music of the last 30 years, he continues to record albums that are good and well-recieved critically, he tours regularly (when he's not canceling) selling out venues that are about the size expected for a cult indie artist, and people here think his career has reached some unprecedented low in all of musical history and he should quit.

Added to which, Morrissey was almost 50 when he released YOR. That's about the same age as Bob Dylan when he released Under The Red Sky, David Bowie when he released Earthling, John Lydon when he released an advert for butter and Paul McCartney when who on earth cares? Given that the deal between artist and fan is basically "I make records worth buying, you buy them", Morrissey has held up his end longer and better than anyone else I can think of.

Good Evening everyone.
I have watched a snippet of Morrissey 25 Live with an open heart.
My verdict is : He looked ill, yellow & jaundice which he clearly was at that time. Despite this, i loved the honesty of the performance & my conclusion & Morrissey's is " What's it all about? " Life? Love?Sex? Family? Jobs?Individuality?Music? Somebody please tell me? I haven't found the answer yet. xxx

Marketing has a lot to do with album sales success. This you surely knew. Music quality is only a small factor and whether or not someone likes the music is a matter of personal preference anyway. :cool:

Morrissey is an inspiration. This morning on "Wild Card Wednesday" I got to say on-air that Chef Ramsey should get punched in the face for endorsing fois gras. I couldn't have done it without my hero Mozzer's inspirational words. :D

It's harder to sell a poor album, and at the risk of sounding like a heretic neither ROTT or YOR were all that. Their sales performance directly effects the offers he gets on the table for the next album. Currently none of those offers have proven sufficient to tempt him.

If his last album sales had performed close to that of Quarry, for example, the new Morrissey album would be imminent rather than further away than ever. The question is relatively simple. Would you invest several hundred thousand pounds in a new Morrissey album at the moment? Of course not.

It's after the ulcer. I saw him at Terminal 5, Brooklyn Academy of Music, and Strathmore just a few months earlier and I was a little bit surprised by how he looked in this video. Maybe the thrill of the live performance masked his true appearance to me or maybe he really was sick with an ulcer. I don't know, but I was a little surprised. I'm tried to find some video of Morrissey from the tour pre-ulcer for comparison, but it's all really shitty stuff filmed with people's iPhones and than posted to youtube. It's hard to compare such videos to a professional recording. On editing this post--this about the best I could find. From the Terminal 5 gig I went to--

Here's the same song from Port Chester. I thought it was a fantastic show. Video goes bad from 0:10 to 0:35, then improves:

It's harder to sell a poor album, and at the risk of sounding like a heretic neither ROTT or YOR were all that. Their sales performance directly effects the offers he gets on the table for the next album. Currently none of those offers have proven sufficient to tempt him.

If his last album sales had performed close to that of Quarry, for example, the new Morrissey album would be imminent rather than further away than ever. The question is relatively simple. Would you invest several hundred thousand pounds in a new Morrissey album at the moment? Of course not.

It's all a question of taste, my friend. There's no objective, scientific "proof" that says ROTT or YOR weren't "all that". Some here don't rate YATQ at all. Others rate YOR more than Kill Uncle. It's all subjective opinion, not fact. And record sales rely on marketing these days, no matter how "good" or "bad" the content - look at the new Bowie album for example: appears out of the blue in a cloud of secrecy and represents what many view as his best material in thirty years. It's Top 3 round the world for a couple of weeks then disappears without trace. And Morrissey hardly has the cachet of Bowie.

Oh wait, I see this is the extraordinary insight of JB again... now it all makes sense.

Well done. o7

"But, I still think Morrissey's voice is incredible ! ":censored: So sack the band FFS ! :head-smack: People who understand music have stated many times on this site that the band are SHIT ! That's right SHIT! In black and white ! SHIT !

Holf Rarris

I'm guessing he doesn't share a majority of his fans opinion that the band sucks. It's his band, and I do agree with you that they need to be sacked and he needs to find new musicians. I feel the same way about the opening act to...it sucks, and needs to be sacked. Almost glad that he's not touring.

Re: "Everyday Is Like Sunday" from "Morrissey 25: Live" video - NME.com

I just want to start by saying that while I disagree with you a lot Johnny (especially on politics) you are one of the few posters here that I actually respect. I think your criticisms are very sincere and worth considering. For example, I was really interested when you went through how many songs from each album you put on your iPod (I am an album person myself and could never do that).

That being said I think you are are way off on YOR (ROTT was also not a terrible album, but I think it was patchy--a few amazing tracks, a few good tracks, and a lot of just ok ones). And I don't think this is just me being sycophantic slag or what not, because if you look at the commercial press, which was ruthless with Southpaw Grammar for reasons I will never understand (Kill Uncle I understand the reaction and Maladjusted seems to have got a better hearing that it deserved), it got some fairly positive reviews. I mean Pitchfork thought it was Morrissey's best since Vauxhall and I and All Music Guide seems to think it was better than Meat is Murder. Two assertions I find preposterous, but I also don't think it is an epicly terrible album.

I did remember noting that there were few songs on your Morrissey iPod list from Your Arsenal list and that you absolutely adore You Are the Quarry. So perhaps some of this is personal preference--you dislike Morrissey's more "heavier" stuff and prefer his more "mellow" stuff (terrible word choices I know, but I think I get the point across).

I also think YOR suffers from the problem that there are no truly great songs on it. Kill Uncle had "Sing Your Life" and Maladjusted had the title track. So buried away on Morrissey's worst two albums are two of his greatest songs. There's nothing like that on YOR though "Something is Squeezing my Skull" comes close. So Maladjusted and Kill Uncle at their best are certainly better than YOR at it's best, but their worst is just so much worse. In fact, I would venture to say YOR while one of Morrissey's most consistent solo albums in terms of quality very well may be his first album without a great track. I suspect that may be some of the reason why it gets so much flak from his fans and so much praise from the press.

Ultimately, I feel like YOR is a lot like Southpaw Grammar. They're both very good contemporary alternative/modern rock albums though nothing earth shattering. They also represent a musical direction that might not seem like where Morrissey would have headed when he was singing "This Charming Man" or even the stuff on "Viva Hate." The one thing I will say about Marr's solo record, which I like quite a bit (curious about your opinion of it Johnny), is that it seems like a logical musical progression from the guy who was writing The Smiths songs to 2013. It's a contemporary jangley indie rock album and if it wasn't Marr and we heard it we would think that like so much of the indie rock stuff today it was at least influenced by The Smiths. I am not sure if the same is true of YOR.

I also really like listening to YOR at the gym. Which I suppose is really a black mark against it. Maybe you're right Johnny.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=230zxV5ji2Q
All you naysayers forget that one of his finest moments was virtually last week, yeah.

Agreed. I really like this song. Quite a bit. I don't know why he's only played it once and has given preference to stuff like "People Are the Same Everywhere." Not his best song, but I think it's pretty outstanding.

I feel the same way about the opening act to...it sucks, and needs to be sacked. Almost glad that he's not touring.

The opening act morrissey has at the moment, is by far and away the best hes ever had!
The Iggy and the stooges? crap! compared 2 kristeen young!
Have you actually seen kristeen live in concert?
Absolulty fantastic live! :)

In fact if kristeen was not there 2 open up the proceedings...
It would be a complete waste of everyones time, effort and money!
And im sure morrissey would agrea!
Morrissey hand picked her because shes the best! shes not there just 2 make up the numbers!

But yes of course being so talented and gifted ect can, unfortunatly or fortunaly as the case may be, somtimes come at a price!
And one can have the tendency 2 be slightly temperamental in nature, but we forgive her this, in fact we welcome her with open arms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shes utterly wonderfull ! :)
Depression contest, V the volcanic, fantastic failure ect ect absoloutley amazing live! :)

But its not all just about her hypnotic stage presence and amazing vocals, the music is incredible 2!
A class act!
If you want fantastic music that thrills, excites, gets the adrenaline and feel good endorphins pumping, go and see kristeen young live in concert!
If thats not your "cuppa tea" then feel free 2 go else were!

But theres 100s of thousands of adoring fans who would pay top dollar 2 see kristeen as the headliner! :)

Go 2 the website www.kristeenyoung.com and download some tracks, oh and do yourself a favour and buy some t-shirts whilst your there! :)

Last edited:
100s of thousands of fans? She can't sell out a pizza restaurant. :squiffy:

100s of thousands of fans? She can't sell out a pizza restaurant. :squiffy:

(Edited and deleted stuff ! its started again! :confused:)

But Kristeen young can sell out concerts 4 fun as n when she wants! :)
Why say any different?

(Im deleting the lot!!!!!!!!!!)

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom