Fiona Dodwell: "Morrissey Was Rejecting Toxic Masculinity 30 Years Before It Was Fashionable" (April 27, 2024)

Diddy Dodders.

Everything she has written is correct. But she is trying to convey that Morrissey has been cancelled because of his views on gender, masculinity etc. He hasn’t. It’s because he called the Chinese a sub-species and supported far-right (fascist!) political parties.

A glance at her other articles shows that she thinks Michael Jackson was innocent and a victim of the industry. Have a word, love.

Last edited:
Boah, no. I hoped she was out of the game by now. It's actually as nauseating to read as all her other articles about him. Its actually really sad to try to constantly build him as the messiah of everything, who is just so misunderstood. Of course he was influential with certain things, otherwise he wouldn't have had the success, but no one really debates that. What she is saying is, that he is difficult and controversial, which is exactly the way he is perceived by the public. Some like that, some don't, that's normal, if you are controversial. So where is he being perceived wrongly? But she also wrote that 100 times already, so nothing new.

Anyway, I always thought, he is giving her notes, but the how did she get the facts wrong:

"Morrissey has been far-ahead of the game. Outspoken about his hellish years at school at the hands of certain teachers (he explores this in his book, Autobiography) and comfortable with being honest about how bullying and mistreatment at school effected him, he even went on to pen a song rumoured to be about his early years – You Have Killed Me, which is seen as an anthem by many fans who also experienced hard times at school."

Since when is this song about a hard time at school? Didn't she mean "The Headmaster Ritual"? How can she write that as a supposedly super fan and music journalist?

Christ, what a risible, arselicking article, full of trite tripe and outdated 20th century views on men. ALL masculinity is considered 'toxic' these days, and that disgusting phrase (how come we never hear about 'toxic femininity'? Are women godlike creatures who never do any wrong? Yeah right) is only used by middle class manhater women...or middle class self-hating men trying to get laid by middle class manhating women. And anybody who uses the ludicrous, self-righteous phrase 'the right side of history'...automatically invalidates anything they have to say about everything. ;)

Last edited:
Boah, no. I hoped she was out of the game by now. It's actually as nauseating to read as all her other articles about him. Its actually really sad to try to constantly build him as the messiah of everything, who is just so misunderstood. Of course he was influential with certain things, otherwise he wouldn't have had the success, but no one really debates that. What she is saying is, that he is difficult and controversial, which is exactly the way he is perceived by the public. Some like that, some don't, that's normal, if you are controversial. So where is he being perceived wrongly? But she also wrote that 100 times already, so nothing new.

Anyway, I always thought, he is giving her notes, but the how did she get the facts wrong:

"Morrissey has been far-ahead of the game. Outspoken about his hellish years at school at the hands of certain teachers (he explores this in his book, Autobiography) and comfortable with being honest about how bullying and mistreatment at school effected him, he even went on to pen a song rumoured to be about his early years – You Have Killed Me, which is seen as an anthem by many fans who also experienced hard times at school."

Since when is this song about a hard time at school? Didn't she mean "The Headmaster Ritual"? How can she write that as a supposedly super fan and music journalist?

My god, is she really a fan or does she just latch on to damaged folks who are victims of the media? How can she think YHKM is about his school days?

I agree with everything you said. Some turns of phrase are very M-like, imo, so maybe he does write notes. I wouldn't be surprised.

My god, is she really a fan or does she just latch on to damaged folks who are victims of the media? How can she think YHKM is about his school days?

I agree with everything you said. Some turns of phrase are very M-like, imo, so maybe he does write notes. I wouldn't be surprised.
I agree that it seems unlikely that You Have Killed Me was about school days, but I agree with the blog post’s general message, that Morrissey has defied insidious gender norms.

Morrissey is a bully - a trait of toxic masculinity
Morrissey's comments about Weinstein's victims - toxic masculinity
Plenty of musicians were gender bending before Morrissey, during and after as well, he isn't special there
FiDo should do her ball licking privately because this is actually more cringey for him than it is for her

I agree that it seems unlikely that You Have Killed Me was about school days, but I agree with the blog post’s general message, that Morrissey has defied insidious gender norms.

That's one hell of a blunder to make!

He certainly did and I applaud him for that. I just don't really understand why she is discussing toxic masculinity in the article or more to the point why now.

Fiona wrote : In this so-called era of the “woke”

Fiona should have written : "In this era of so-called woke"

Both ways are correct but I prefer the second one.

Not great at spelling for a journalist either!

Fiona wrote : In this so-called era of the “woke”

Fiona should have written : "In this era of so-called woke"

Both ways are correct but I prefer the second one.
Neither is correct. I assume she meant to say “era of the woke” but even that is incorrect because it is only “so-called” by her.

as usual it doesnt matter what she writes its slaughtered on here,give us more fee i love seeing the haters squirm on a sunday morning.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom