"Forgive Someone"

I've always believed that the person Morrissey is singing to in "I Like You" is Johnny Marr.

Still Ill is the give away? Would Morrissey ever be that obvious?

Most people here want Morrissey to want Marr back before it's too late. I just happen to not be one of them. What exactly is too late anyway? No one is dead right about anything here in this song, including me. Finding more people here to back up this theory is like shooting fish in a barrel. I want them to kiss and make up too but it ain't gonna happen.

Just put me down for disagreeing and cue the next one who agrees.

You'll be saying "Girlfriend In A Coma" isn't about Johnny next!

Perhaps "dead right" was the wrong way to put it! But I don't think he's singing "still ill" lightly - he's positively encouraging the association, as he did (albeit more subtly) with "strange way" in Speedway. I suppose if you wanted someone to get the message you'd have to give them a hefty nudge lyric-wise to make sure they notice...

Of course, nobody knows for sure. Well, one person does. I do find this kind of speculation fun. I mean, I'd never have said "Angel, Angel Down We Go Together" was about Marr, but it is.

Perhaps "dead right" was the wrong way to put it! But I don't think he's singing "still ill" lightly - he's positively encouraging the association, as he did (albeit more subtly) with "strange way" in Speedway. I suppose if you wanted someone to get the message you'd have to give them a hefty nudge lyric-wise to make sure they notice...

Of course, nobody knows for sure. Well, one person does. I do find this kind of speculation fun. I mean, I'd never have said "Angel, Angel Down We Go Together" was about Marr, but it is.

You are dead right, it is fun! Maybe we should just assume all the songs he writes are about Johnny Marr? It would save a lot of time but who needs to save time?

When i last Spoke to Carol?... I mean, Johnny :)

I mean what other living pop artist out there provokes such discourse about the very words they pen? And I haven't even heard the bloody song yet :)

When someone sincerely wants to be forgiven by somebody, I think lists come in handy.
Someone makes a list of the things he thinks he should be forgiven for and the other person makes their own list of reproaches. If someone's list has only 3 items on it and the other person's list is an ever-expanding 89 km long roll of paper, of course, they might need a lawyer.

That said, I am sure than unlike many petty people who can't find it in their heart etc, Johnny is a very forgiving person.

Good luck for stealing Johnny from Angie then. Go after him!! After all, Liberace was instrumental in the Bradangelina divorce. Wasn't he?
Tip: Doing something concrete to prove you care is always a good idea, otherwise there's a good chance you'll get laughed at. Send a kitten wearing a "forgime" t.shirt. Guitarists can't resist those.(you can find a kitten on this site)

Still Ill is the give away? Would Morrissey ever be that obvious?

After reading 'Autobiography', with it's liberal use of song and album titles dropped into the text - then yes, I think at the moment he would be quite that obvious.

My wife and I were talking about these theories in the car today. That’s the best part about his song lyrics is that you can interpret however you wish. Like any good poetry or novel.

and that is a "fact" is it?

There is no mention of anything like this in the autobiography no admission of wrong-doing by Morrissey (upon reflection) in relation to Marr and the split. According to the autobiography the Smiths split happened mainly because people surrounding Marr conducted a whispering campaign against Morrissey which was eventually listened too.
One thing you are missing from your interpretation is that Marr is now clearly ready and happy to reunite (and has been for a while), he isn't holding a grudge over some imagined wrong-doing, Morrissey does not need his forgiveness at all so why would he be seeking it in song? The reality is in fact the other way around, for a reunion to happen (yawn) Morrissey needs to forgive Marr for turning his back, for listening to whispers, for losing faith and for the court case etc etc.

Now Morrissey does have a history of writing from other "characters" points of view and for putting other voices into songs and switching the narrative and so anything is possible and the "Still ill" reference certainly evokes The Smiths or at least that time frame but I don't this this song is as clear as you are making out. In fact I think you are projecting your own Morrissey hang ups into this lyric (again).

Bearing in mind the quality of 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business' and based on Marr's last album if Marr did submit music for consideration I'm not sure Marr's contributions would make the grade at this point. Comparing the two albums musically Morrisseys new album has more ideas and is generally so much more interesting and diverse musically. I don't think any of the songs on Marrs recent album would have made it onto this record.

Bearing in mind the quality of 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business' and based on Marr's last album if Marr did submit music for consideration I'm not sure Marr's contributions would make the grade at this point. Comparing the two albums musically Morrisseys new album has more ideas and is generally so much more interesting and diverse musically. I don't think any of the songs on Marrs recent album would have made it onto this record.

There is some truth in this. But though the lyrics were terrible there were some good riffs on Marr's album. The production on World Peace does make me hope that in Chiccarelli, Morrissey has found another great collaborator in the (sadly) autumnal phase of his career...

There is some truth in this. But though the lyrics were terrible there were some good riffs on Marr's album. The production on World Peace does make me hope that in Chiccarelli, Morrissey has found another great collaborator in the (sadly) autumnal phase of his career...

Hopefully this album does well and album #2 of the Harvest contract is a great follow up, rather than some live or greatest hits comp.

hypothetically ridiculous.

I'm not sure about that.. but Stairway to Heaven is DEFINITELY about Craig Gannon.

All the bitching that goes on here about Morrissey incl. threadstarter, skywanker & viva hate (original that one) etc, but as soon as he proves them all wrong they become all retro & cry like little girls when then read some of the lyrics. Sad lot on here & i've said it before...regularly.

See, now after having read 'Autobiography,' I can't help but think that "I Like You" is about Tina Deghani.

He describes her as "level headed" which to me is the other side of the room from "not right in the head." :squiffy:

Speaking of, are there any pics of her floating around online? I’m so very curious. I tried a Google search when I was reading the Autobiography but I’m not sure what was real and what wasn’t.

Why must every thread turn into a Tina thread?

Are we forgetting about Gelato aka Gabriele?

Back
Top Bottom