Has anybody ever noticed how Morrissey on stage

Re: Has anybody ever noticed how Morrissey....on stage

One of my favorite scenes from who put the M... is during one of the songs, he's not facing the crowd and he's kinda bending down and he looks like he's trying REALLY hard not to smile but he just can't help it. It's just really sweet...

I think it's sweet that he feels such strong emotions... it's a two way street really.

He does that on one of the vids of the 'Berlin Incident', when he gets his arm back and walks towards the band he's got a big smile on his face.

He does that on one of the vids of the 'Berlin Incident', when he gets his arm back and walks towards the band he's got a big smile on his face.

I think he does that kind of thing a lot... he frequently turns his back to the audience between songs.

whn you said "berlin incident" do you mean "humburg incident"?

Last edited:

I've never seen him crying or near to tears on stage. I think people are just projecting.

I've never seen him crying or near to tears on stage. I think people are just projecting.

I thought he was genuinely moved at the MEN gig (at the time I thought this not cos of the DVD) and some of the UK 2002 shows as well. But I concur with your projection thesis!

In fact most gigs he's probably close to tears cos he's bored to tears singing the same setlist night after night to the same people in the front row

I think he's just an extremely emotional person. Like someone else said, he's singing his life. I recall in 2007 at the Myrtle Beach show he had tears in his eyes just before leaving the stage. It was such a great show and he was touched by our love for him. I believe he had tears in his eyes at the last Myrtle Beach show - last March - but he was so unwell, I think his tears were coming from pain as the show was ended quickly without an Encore, Thank You, or Good Night.

I don't recall tears at every show I've been to, but I've seen him cry before.

Not crying, but in Chicago when he did that one US date, Nov 21 06 I think, he was really happy and I could tell he was feeling the love. That was a great show.

That makes me happy. It shows how he still cares, how he's still passionate, how he still cherishes his music and his fans and how it still impacts him. How can we get sad over his music if he cannot? Simply amazing. I always thought his quote about him not being a performer was bullocks, guess not.

there's no business like show business.

But does it matter if it's real? People win awards for pretending in a convincing manner. I don't think Morrissey deserves to be called an entertainer, as he is too much of an artist, but I do think he is a performer. Of course he is. You can't do the same setlist repeatedly and say you are not preforming.

Well I'm going to have to disagree. Can't really explain it, it just does make a difference if he really does care or not, it makes all the difference.

you mean like this?

I got a little emotional watching these too. :o You guys will know if you ever see me at a gig- I'll be the one desperately trying to hide my tears during the sadder songs. :p

Anyway, I think it's really touching and wonderful that he still connects emotionally to these songs so much after 20+ years. I don't think it's an act- no-one but the best actor would be able to fake it that well, especially not while singing.

I do disagree with him when he says he's not a performer though. Even if the emotions and passions are real, if you go on stage and sing to an audience (or whatever it is you do) then you are performing, at least in a small way. I think most of what Morrissey does on stage is completely sincere and from the heart, however there are obviously certain things that are practiced or a regular thing at every show- for example laying on the floor during HSIN/LIAPS. I know what he means when he says it- the whole thing about seeming to 'come alive' on stage and not 'faking it' as such- but I don't completely agree.

The dictionary definition of 'to perform':

Verb
to perform (third-person singular simple present performs, present participle performing, simple past and past participle performed)
To do something
The scientists performed several experiments.
It took him only twenty minutes to perform the task.
To do something in front of an audience in order to entertain it.
She will perform in the play
The magician performed badly - none of his tricks worked.
The string quartet performed three pieces by Haydn.

The second one seems pertinent for Morrissey- he does his thing up on stage (singing), at least partly to entertain the people who come to see him.

As with everything though, it all depends on your personal point of view and your definitions of word meanings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh, that's just crazy talk. I've seen him become emotional many times over the years. And I've seen actual tears in his eyes at least twice, if memory serves. I know for a fact that he had tears in his eyes at the Chicago concert in November, 2006. It shocked me and I made a firm note of it in my mind. No projection. There were actual glistening tears. Then he told us he loves us. My heart was so touched.

he told us he loves us. My heart was so touched.

he loves you the most; you're his favourite.

Tags
erving goffman preforming showbiz magick
Back
Top Bottom