I Started Something/Stop Me Video CHECK THIS OUT!

I think that the footage (because it isn't exactly the same video used for both songs...the various clips are arranged in a slightly different order for both, and there are some bits in the "I Started Something I Couldn't Finish" video that I swear were not in the "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before" video) works better for "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before". The main reason, I believe, is the rhythm of the bicycles, which matches up almost perfectly to the rhythm of "Stop Me..." The song sounds (I daresay even to someone who has not seen the video before) like a bike, or even a car, moving down the street. I'm sorry that I can't describe it any better than that!

Also, I believe that "Stop Me" has a poignancy to it that "I Started Something..." does not (just my opinion). The video definitely has some poignancy to it: revisiting places that popped up at various times in the Smiths' history (the Whalley Range, the Salford Lads Club); a lonely little girl carrying a garbage bag; rain and muddy puddles of water on the streets.

Back
Top Bottom