Is it just me...

...or when you go to an entertainment site, say, and they list that Moz is a favourite of theirs, that you just want to go away and never come back, even if this is your first time visiting? When I read that, especially on an American site, as just happened to me, I just shake my head and leave. The Cult of Morrissey has been around for so long now, and is so risible, that all I expect from any Moz fan in a public entertainment position is just fawning, breathless, embarrassing apostle wafflings. And when you combine that with an American accent, and the American lack of emotional literacy, and awesome-dude hyperbolic vocabulary...it's time to run. Does anybody else have a great deal of contempt for other Moz/Smiths fans?

Just my opinion.

Laughing here.

' We have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language. '

Like he said, like something in, like the idiot idiom, like, I was mocking, like, American, like, dude! Such waspish Wildean wit(lessness) here! Thanks for proving my point! :)

Dear hand in glove, my comment, meant to be funny, yawn, was not directed at you and you don't have to say sorry to me, although you made me laugh.
Cheers, :thumb:
Oh no. I didn't think it was! I was just replying to BP. Because, like, dude! It is what is... Or something like that! :D

Oh no. I didn't think it was! I was just replying to BP. Because, like, dude! It is what is... Or something like that! :D

Hey hand, just to confirm the phrase is "It is what it is". I use this quite often. Kind of like the American version of Que Sera, Sera.

If we are going to bring up American accents here, then I would like address the increasing number of American adverts that incorporate a pompous, English accent to hawk their wares. As if the text read with a stiff upper lip somehow makes the product more valuable, or exclusive. Posh = Dosh here in America. It all gets a little tiresome. Case in point...

Hey hand, just to confirm the phrase is "It is what it is". I use this quite often. Kind of like the American version of Que Sera, Sera.

If we are going to bring up American accents here, then I would like address the increasing number of American adverts that incorporate a pompous, English accent to hawk their wares. As if the text read with a stiff upper lip somehow makes the product more valuable, or exclusive. Posh = Dosh here in America. It all gets a little tiresome. Case in point...

Yes...that's what I meant! I just typed it out half asleep this morning! I use Que Sera Sera all the time and my niece and I always say "it is what it is" when talking to her mother. Simply because she hates that phrase!

I love an English accent, but I understand what you mean concerning commercials here in the States. But what I really hate is to see American television shows on BBC America. Instead of CSI Miami why not Are You Being Served or Fawlty Towers? Even if they are old shows, at least they're British and hilarious, too! :)

Last edited:
It's always my advice to judge something by the substance of what someone is trying to say rather than how they say it. Lots of American thinkers use and have used all kinds of American slang over the years. Beat writers come to mind right off the bat. Language is fun, well it should be, and if people are spending so much time worrying about whether or not they sound witty then you might have missed the point or even missed the wit and should relax and try not to be so judge mental. I'm reminded of style wars, a movie about graffiti art in New York in the eighties, where this guy who is talking to the camera sounds like a really stereo typical dumb New Yorker until he starts to paint and explain his process and what it means using the same language style he was using previously and his skill and thoughtfulness becomes apparent. not very Oscar Wilde like, God could stop using Oscar Wilde as a reference on a morrissey board (it's like being that guy who wears the band tee shirt to the show), but what he said was informative thoughtful and what he was doing was a social movement that effected and still effects many today

Yes...that's what I meant! I just typed it out half asleep this morning! I use Que Sera Sera all the time and my niece and I always say "it is what it is" when talking to her mother. Simply because she hates that phrase!

I love an English accent, but I understand what you mean concerning commercials here in the States. But what I really hate is to see American television shows on BBC America. Instead of CSI Miami why not Are You Being Served or Fawlty Towers? Even if they are old shows, at least they're British and hilarious, too! :)

Very true. My favorite of the Brit comedies was Coupling. It was the show Friends was based on. Truly funny. I love the English accent too. A pretty English girl was dating one of my friends and every time she said his name my heart broke a little because it wasn't mine. :tears:

Very true. My favorite of the Brit comedies was Coupling. It was the show Friends was based on. Truly funny. I love the English accent too. A pretty English girl was dating one of my friends and every time she said his name my heart broke a little because it wasn't mine. :tears:

It's first three seasons was pretty funny . Once jeff left it lost it a bit. Very well directed

I dated an English guy for a little while and I loved to listen to him speak. We drifted apart sadly, but it wasn't a terribly serious relationship to begin with. And to be honest, he wasn't my type of guy.

I dated an English guy for a little while and I loved to listen to him speak. We drifted apart sadly, but it wasn't a terribly serious relationship to begin with. And to be honest, he wasn't my type of guy.

I think the sound of a person's voice is a very strong aphrodisiac, and can make them even more attractive. The exact opposite is true like the raspy sound of a heavy smokers voice. I have been told I have a lovely speaking voice, which ultimately has done me very little good so far.

In fact, one time I talked myself into a date with a girl I spoke with after dialing a wrong number. She was in a culinary school at the time. BTW...piece of advice...completely blind dates are not advisable. Nice girl though.

It's first three seasons was pretty funny . Once jeff left it lost it a bit. Very well directed

Huge crush on Sarah Alexander :love:

Loved the use of Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps as the theme song. I love a show with many strong characters and story lines. Friends was a fairly accurate portrayal of the yuppie culture of the day here in America. Was Coupling a true slice of British life at the time?

Agree with you. I like all kinds of different accents of the English language. Irish, Scottish, and accents of Northern England, as Mancunian and very much like the scouse accent of Liverpool. Like the lady that did the spoken word of the Imperfect List on Who Put The M In Manchester. Unfortunately she is no longer with us.

I do like the Cockney accent as well and some accents of American cities. The New York accent is great too.
Yes, I miss some of the series you mentioned. I remember a series around the year 2000 or later which I liked a lot. It was called One Foot In The Grave. I thought the main character was played by an actor with the name Michael. Can't remember his last name. I knew he was taken in hopital not that long ago. If he is still alive, he is very old now. He played an older grumpy kind of man, was married and his constant comments on everything and nothing in particular was hilarious and funny as was the relation with his wife.
I shure would want to see that again. Maybe sometime the BBC will show it again.

Huge crush on Sarah Alexander :love:

Loved the use of Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps as the theme song. I love a show with many strong characters and story lines. Friends was a fairly accurate portrayal of the yuppie culture of the day here in America. Was Coupling a true slice of British life at the time?

I always thought Gina was cute looking and more my type physically. Davenport was great and yeah I liked the theme song as well. Friends wasn't exactly the same given the different stereotypes. Friends for better and worse was a more over the top comedy full of people that don't really exist while coupling was much more realistic. Both have there pluses and minuses but I enjoyed coupling much more. Coupling was more consistently clever and while I was never a big fan of friends, it had a few really good seasons, it had a few really funny moments. You could see Monica and chandler coming for a while though. Characters like Joey phoebe and Rachel started to really get on my nerves after a while and Ross chandler and Monica carried the show for a while Imo. Ah the days before I had the option to watch what I wanted and would end up watching friends just by default. Seems like forever ago

In fact, one time I talked myself into a date with a girl I spoke with after dialing a wrong number. She was in a culinary school at the time. BTW...piece of advice...completely blind dates are not advisable. Nice girl though.
i dunno about anyone else here, but i kinda want the deets

Back
Top Bottom