Is Money Really the Root of all Evil?

No, people are the root of all evil. Evil is deliberately choosing to do harm. Money is just a symptom of the evil humans do, it's just an expression of power.

In what way does it limit the answers?

"Root", "all", "evil". The question is too absolute: there is no one root of all evil, not to mention the fact that the concept of "evil" is negotiable. Better to begin with a more open-ended inquiry. "Is money harmful? How so?"

"Root", "all", "evil". The question is too absolute: there is no one root of all evil, not to mention the fact that the concept of "evil" is negotiable. Better to begin with a more open-ended inquiry. "Is money harmful? How so?"

I was just quoting an old saying which actually says "the pursuit of money is the root of all evil", but has been shortened over the years.

I was just quoting an old saying which actually says "the pursuit of money is the root of all evil", but has been shortened over the years.

1 Timothy 6:10

"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."​

The next verse:

"But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness."​

So right away it's important to note that a "man of God" should flee from the "love of money', which might cause him to stray from his faith. Puts it in a different context, doesn't it?

Many concepts surround "money" and "evil". It's important to try and view the question with as little baggage as possible, difficult as that may be.

People are the root of all evil. Money is a figment of our imaginations, attempting to give worth and ownership to things that we really have no control over. We don't own anything, and none of our money means anything to anyone but ourselves. Money is a tool to trade services, goods, and land. It is just paper and pulp that aids in the process of human trade. I would say the concept of ownership is the root of all evil, but in reality humans have created all evils for themselves. A bunch a f***in' idiots I say. (including myself).

An unequal distribution of and access to resources is the problem.
Fear and greed fuel it.

If there was equal distribution to money, it would be useless. Resources, on the other hand, should not be horded by the rich.

People that say it is ...or those that say it can't buy happiness are usually the ones that are loaded.I've yet to meet a poor person who thinks likewise.

Isn't it the love OF money?

Not money itself?

Back
Top Bottom