Jesus of Nazareth, known as "J-dogg" by some

What is your opinion of Jesus?

• Total voters
Happy Palm Sunday Soloists
(waiting for Luce McFate to point out it is not Orthodox PS in 5, 4, 3...)

Remember the crowds who praise you today
might next week change their mind;
Love is on its way out, they even want
to shoot the Lion of Zion (from behind).

But exiting Love will yet return
and it will not be denied;
You can hate the tune and the timing and tone
but there'll still be a B side.

Christianity is having an unusually widespread revival, even in alt-academia.

It is. One wishes the "alt-academia" revival was niche, but Jordan Peterson's mainstream popularity suggests it might become more big-time. As to what strain of Christianity this will be, going by Peterson they apparently want: the patriarchy, meat, and the military-industrial complex (with a warm veneer of Jesus and pseudo-profundities). This is not the Christianity of rainbow-sash lesbian priestesses giving sermons on sustainability. Peterson had Netanyahu on his podcast and cheered on the Gaza atrocities with "go get 'em, Bibi!" At this point, conversion to Islam begins to look attractive—not for the theology, but for who and what it stands against, as this seems to be coming down to a zero-sum game. Pentti Linkola said it didn't matter whether you joined Baader-Meinhof or Al-Qaeda, it was good just to be the opposition.

That’s not AI commodifying anything, though. That’s AI using a large amount of energy in a hypothetical situation.

If the objection is, “this technology is an energy hog,” then we can also include cars, planes, computers, phones—pretty much anything that plugs into the electric grid or runs on a fuel. Or, if the good people at the New Yorker were to stop eating meat & dairy (of which, I don't need to remind you, the production is massively energy- and water-intensive, and emits more greenhouse gases than the transportation sector), then maybe I’d take them seriously instead of suspecting this is just fear-mongering over AI.
Good point, though it's the extra scale of energy needed that's the issue with AI.

While we're on animals, a look at the rule-book for how lobbying in general works, so well
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/l...ons-courting-academics-to-discredit-research/

Lobbying keeps all the bad stuff going swimmingly. What's the Biblical parallel?

For more linkage, how AI could be (mis)used in animal farms - https://aeon.co/essays/how-to-reduce-the-ethical-dangers-of-ai-assisted-farming

Happy Palm Sunday Soloists
(waiting for Luce McFate to point out it is not Orthodox PS in 5, 4, 3...)

Remember the crowds who praise you today
might next week change their mind;
Love is on its way out, they even want
to shoot the Lion of Zion (from behind).

But exiting Love will yet return
and it will not be denied;
You can hate the tune and the timing and tone
but there'll still be a B side.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

It is. One wishes the "alt-academia" revival was niche, but Jordan Peterson's mainstream popularity suggests it might become more big-time. As to what strain of Christianity this will be, going by Peterson they apparently want: the patriarchy, meat, and the military-industrial complex (with a warm veneer of Jesus and pseudo-profundities). This is not the Christianity of rainbow-sash lesbian priestesses giving sermons on sustainability. Peterson had Netanyahu on his podcast and cheered on the Gaza atrocities with "go get 'em, Bibi!" At this point, conversion to Islam begins to look attractive—not for the theology, but for who and what it stands against, as this seems to be coming down to a zero-sum game. Pentti Linkola said it didn't matter whether you joined Baader-Meinhof or Al-Qaeda, it was good just to be the opposition.

JP adores hearing himself talk, too much for my liking. I consider him as more popular, although after reading your report of his interview with Bibi, that's being too kind. I was using the term 'alt-academia' in the sense the 'alt' part is used when I go looking for an Iggy Pop podcast, which is listed under the heading, 'alt-indie' music. That's also the home of Morrissey and The Smiths music. Another example of slippage in language meaning. For me, alt-academia includes scholarly researchers with ideas that have not yet gained mainstream acceptance. Often people who like your trailblazer, feel good and/or make others feel good just to be the opposition. :highfive:

Lobbying keeps all the bad stuff going swimmingly. What's the Biblical parallel?

Not quite a biblical parallel, but: Christianity becoming the state religion of the empire and persecuting pagans, heretics, and various dissenters.

Ayaan hirsi Ali has converted to Christianity too! She called it a higher standard than Islam.

But I get it audrey. You have to try out every religion at least once. One day you'll find the right one for you!

Ayaan hirsi Ali has converted to Christianity too! She called it a higher standard than Islam.

But I get it audrey. You have to try out every religion at least once. One day you'll find the right one for you!

When one submits to Allah, the search for the true religion is over. Ayaan Hirsi Ali has forsaken the true religion for a false one, and she will have to answer for herself on the Day of Judgement, which is not far off, Allah be merciful.

Also when Ayaan hirsi Ali became atheist first after renouncing islam, had she also then forsaken the true religion (islam) for a false one (atheism)?

That depends. I shouldn’t do this, but I will tell you an esoteric truth of the true faith. Allah is perfect and almighty. There is none mightier than Allah. Also, Allah is the creator. Allah has created all things. And in order to have absolute might, a perfect being must be able to overcome any handicap. And the greatest handicap to a creator would be: not to exist at all.

Therefore, Allah does not exist.

Praise be to Allah!

That depends. I shouldn’t do this, but I will tell you an esoteric truth of the true faith. Allah is perfect and almighty. There is none mightier than Allah. Also, Allah is the creator. Allah has created all things. And in order to have absolute might, a perfect being must be able to overcome any handicap. And the greatest handicap to a creator would be: not to exist at all.

Praise be to Allah!
I hope you find yourself one day, brother!

Praise be to Allah!
One of the most difficult aspects of Tillich’s thought is the ambiguity that characterises much of his writing. Among the most puzzling and paradoxical ideas in his Systematic Theology (1951) is his statement that ‘God does not exist’ and that ‘to argue that God exists is to deny him.’ Tillich goes on to state that the word ‘existence’ should never be used in conjunction with the word ‘God’. These assertions fit with the idea of God as a symbolic object that is a repository of ultimate concern, but not a being. Tillich scholars have disagreed on the meaning and significance of these passages. Does Tillich mean that, since God is ‘beyond essence and existence’ and exists outside of time and space, God is not part of existence? Or is Tillich implying that God really doesn’t exist and is not required to do anything in the Universe? Certainly, in Tillich’s theology, God is an abstract and somewhat inactive concept. The action all comes from the human side through faith. God is the unreachable object of our ultimate concern. This illustrates some of the difficulties of interpreting Tillich’s intentionally paradoxical and deliberately ambiguous assertions as he tries to avoid discussing the literal nature of God.
from a meditative essay by the grandson of Paul Tillich who seemed to reach a similar conclusion. Or, don't overthink it...https://aeon.co/essays/my-grandfather-paul-tillich-the-unbelieving-theologian

See Russell rattle off a J-Dogg ad 6:45 into a high-octane commentary on scandals of the day -

I hope the same for you too, my friend. May Allah soften your heart that resists him, and open your eyes that deny him. And that’s not the generic you.
You need to come back into the loving arms of Jesus, Aubs. If Jesus were alive today I could see him being vegan.
Whereas Mohammed - nah. For a thousand years Christendom thought that Allah wasn't the same God as that of Abraham and Moses - but rather was Satan himself. And it wasn't the voice of Gabriel that spoke to Mohammed in the cave - but rather the voice of the noon-day demon. Were they right? This was a man who regularly beheaded captives and sold others into slavery. He married a girl who was 6 or 7 and consummated the marriage when she was about 9. Even Islamic scholars recognise that Mohammed may have been under the influence of Satan when he wrote the famous 'Satanic verses' of the Quran.

You need to come back into the loving arms of Jesus, Aubs. If Jesus were alive today I could see him being vegan.
Whereas Mohammed - nah.

I see it the opposite. I think the prophet was keener on animals than J-dogg was. For one thing, Mohammed was a known felinophile (for which, peace be upon him). He doted on his cat, whence the privileged status of cats in Islam. Jesus on the other hand doesn’t seem to have kept any pets at all—always a suspicious trait. And keep in mind, even though halal slaughter is today barbaric, for its time it was somewhat progressive. Mohammed was looking for the swiftest and most painless possible way to slaughter an animal. He was taking its suffering into account. That’s the kind of person who can potentially be brought around to seeing that the animal shouldn’t be slaughtered in the first place.

In sexual ethics, of course, Jesus has it all over Mohammed. The marriage to Aisha is a hideous abomination. Mohammed was unashamed of sex, a “hirsute warrior” type (it's unsurprising, for example, that Andrew Tate has converted to Islam), whereas Jesus was a beautiful celibate with a dim view of lust, for which I don’t think he’s given quite enough credit. The Hebrew tradition is very macho and pro-natalist; the Old Testament is full of references to a man’s seed and loins, and Jesus was uninterested in all that. However, his views on the subject may not’ve been as romantic or philosophical as they were practical: Jesus was an apocalypticist, so sex, marriage, and childbearing were pretty low-priority if the world is nearing its calamitous end. “And woe to them that are with child, and that give suck in those days. Pray that your flight be not in the winter, or on the sabbath. For there shall be then great tribulation, such as hath not been from the beginning of the world until now.”

I see it the opposite. I think the prophet was keener on animals than J-dogg was. For one thing, Mohammed was a known felinophile (for which, peace be upon him). He doted on his cat, whence the privileged status of cats in Islam. Jesus on the other hand doesn’t seem to have kept any pets at all—always a suspicious trait. And keep in mind, even though halal slaughter is today barbaric, for its time it was somewhat progressive. Mohammed was looking for the swiftest and most painless possible way to slaughter an animal. He was taking its suffering into account. That’s the kind of person who can potentially be brought around to seeing that the animal shouldn’t be slaughtered in the first place.

In sexual ethics, of course, Jesus has it all over Mohammed. The marriage to Aisha is a hideous abomination. Mohammed was unashamed of sex, a “hirsute warrior” type (it's unsurprising, for example, that Andrew Tate has converted to Islam), whereas Jesus was a beautiful celibate with a dim view of lust, for which I don’t think he’s given quite enough credit. The Hebrew tradition is very macho and pro-natalist; the Old Testament is full of references to a man’s seed and loins, and Jesus was uninterested in all that. However, his views on the subject may not’ve been as romantic or philosophical as they were practical: Jesus was an apocalypticist, so sex, marriage, and childbearing were pretty low-priority if the world is nearing its calamitous end. “And woe to them that are with child, and that give suck in those days. Pray that your flight be not in the winter, or on the sabbath. For there shall be then great tribulation, such as hath not been from the beginning of the world until now.”
Jesus was a Jewish male so, if he did exist, I think it is highly likely he was married. And had children.
The Quran relates that one of Jesus's miracles was making birds from clay and breathing life into them. This miracle isn't in the 4 canonical Gospels but it is in the non-canonical Gospel of Thomas. So he was clearly a bit of an ornithologist. Clearly he wasn't against the catching of fish though.
His first 'miracle' in the canonical Gospels, if you believe such things, was to turn water into wine at a marriage ceremony. I'm not sure if he had such a dim view of lust and procreation as you suggest.

Jesus was a Jewish male so, if he did exist, I think it is highly likely he was married. And had children.
The Quran relates that one of Jesus's miracles was making birds from clay and breathing life into them. This miracle isn't in the 4 canonical Gospels but it is in the non-canonical Gospel of Thomas. So he was clearly a bit of an ornithologist. Clearly he wasn't against the catching of fish though.
His first 'miracle' in the canonical Gospels, if you believe such things, was to turn water into wine at a marriage ceremony. I'm not sure if he had such a dim view of lust and procreation as you suggest.

He loved planting his lips on the birds, eh? Dirty dog. Probably blew the odd cock, too. 40 days in the desert will drive a man to do all sorts of things.

Tags
christianity edith sitwell jesus religion
Back
Top Bottom