JM's Morrissey Bootleg of the Day: "Glastonbury 2004"

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z7295IA6

27 June 2004
Glastonbury Festival, Glastonbury, UK

Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice
Shakespeare's Sister
How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?
Let Me Kiss You
I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
The Headmaster Ritual
Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
First Of The Gang To Die
The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
No One Can Hold A Candle To You
Subway Train/Everyday Is Like Sunday
Irish Blood, English Heart

This gig wasn't the biggest success of the tour. Playing festivals means performing in front of people who are not fans and potentially have very different musical tastes. In 2004, Morrissey performed between Supergrass and Muse, and the audience included people who had come to see dance oriented artists such as Orbital or Basement Jaxx. So the crowd was rather subdued and Morrissey's (lack of) energy reflected it, which probably didn't help the situation. Morrissey also had to deal with some heckling from impatient Muse fans, just like in Bologna two weeks earlier. The sound didn't seem to be the best possible, something else that didn't help.

However the reviews in the newspapers as well as television were all very positive, some of them saying that Morrissey was the highlight of the weekend. Portions of this concert were broadcast on BBC3 (Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice, Shakespeare's Sister, The Headmaster Ritual, First Of The Gang To Die, Everyday Is Like Sunday and Irish Blood English Heart) and repeated on BBC2 (Everyday Is Like Sunday and Irish Blood English Heart). See television concerts.

There had just been a rainstorm, so coming on stage, Morrissey asked the crowd if they felt cold and miserable and said that that was how he felt most days, for psychological reasons. He said "I know you're wet and you're cold... I'll try and sing as quickly as I can..." and asked whether people could wait until the end of his set before overdosing. He also complained about the sound.

Continuing in his typical self-deprecatory way he underlined the crowd's lack of energy by thanking Julia (Riley, fanzine editor and front row regular), as if she was the only one clapping. He also said "Thank you all, well some of you anyway. Thank you most of you" and "We do have some friends out there... 12". As if no one was interested, he added "We have a new album and recommend you not to buy it." Besides that the only notable banter happened before "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" when Boz started to play a song on the keyboard and Morrissey said "Light Boz, Light!"

Read more about this concert and see photos offsite at MorrisseyTour.com and Morrissey-Solo.

The seven songs broadcast on BBC television (see television concerts) are circulated on bootleg DVDs. Some audience recording (track list unknown) is also circulated on general multi-artists bootleg DVDs of the Glastonbury Festival.

Bootleg cds have also been circulated, some with 10 or 11 songs. The 11 song edition simply titled "Glastonbury 2004" features the whole set minus "Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference" and "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out".

[Text copied/pasted from the website "Passions Just Like Mine"]

Thanks for this-I thought I had it already but when I checked what I had labelled as Glastonbury 04 it wasn't quite right-too many tracks for a start!
Cheers!

shoey, thanks for the thanks! Take a look at how many people before you have checked this out -- maybe downloaded -- and didn't say anything in the way of appreciation... Manners, manners... :)

:) Thanks for posting....I really enjoy those shows from the 2004 tour.

You're more than welcome, all! Let me dip in my bag of tricks and see what I can upload now...

Back
Top Bottom