Johnny Marr and his guitar

gaz217

I'm thinkin of buying a new guitar soon and I wanted to get one that sounds good on Smiths songs. I already have an acoustic so I'm thinking i might get either an electro/acoustic or electric. My point is that i want the guitar that sounds "jingle jangley" like on This Charming Man and Paint a Vulgar Picture. Is there anybody who knows what guitar Marr used on these songs?

I'm thinkin of buying a new guitar soon and I wanted to get one that sounds good on Smiths songs. I already have an acoustic so I'm thinking i might get either an electro/acoustic or electric. My point is that i want the guitar that sounds "jingle jangley" like on This Charming Man and Paint a Vulgar Picture. Is there anybody who knows what guitar Marr used on these songs?

The 'jingly-jangly' sound is most associated with Rickenbacker guitars.

He used a Rickenbacker a lot - 6 string semi accoustic. He also used a Gretch, but you can't allways tell which one he is using on which tracks. I pretty certain, like 99.9% he was using the Ricky on This Cahrming man and Paint a vulgar picture! It's my favourite guitar, and has a very distinctive sound. Another reason I love The Smiths so much.

Unfortunately, Ricky's are usually quite expensive... Have a look on E-bay for an 80's 330/360 there is often something there.

Thanks for your help. I've looked at the 360 model Rickenbacker but even on ebay I couldn't afford it. Is there a cheaper option-maybe not the same guitar but similar but much cheaper?

Thanks for the link! Thanks everybody. Still undecided about what guitar I will buy but I am in love with the Rickenbacker 360 and the Les Paul standard.

I think Marr played also a Telecaster, don't remember in which songs.
I have a Telecaster (made in Mexico), I spent 550€, which is a fair price and sounds good.

:D Fenders suck

I disagree, what I'd say is that Fender's quality control sucks, all that means is that you should play the actual instrument that you're going to buy before buying it, however I'd say that about any guitar they either "feel right" or they don't. I've got a Fender USA Highway 1 Telecaster in three colour sunburst, it's amazing.

I agree to a point, but I do enjoy Jazzmasters and Telecasters.

Guitars I'd suggest:
Rickenbacker 360
Gibson ES-345
Gibson Les Paul Customs
Gretsch Nashville
Gretsch Chet Atkin's Models
Fender Jazzmaster

All good. But most Fenders are overpriced thin sounding wrecks.

I disagree, what I'd say is that Fender's quality control sucks, all that means is that you should play the actual instrument that you're going to buy before buying it, however I'd say that about any guitar they either "feel right" or they don't. I've got a Fender USA Highway 1 Telecaster in three colour sunburst, it's amazing.

Amazing if you want a thin sound, try a real guitar, an archtop with p-90s and hear true tone!

Telecaster is a fine first electric guitar and the cheap copies are as good as the "real thing" (because the real thing is nothing special, I've got one). You can get the jangly sound on most electric guitars by picking the strings close to the bridge. You also might want to try a "chorus" effect (Boss do a cheap pedal) but don't overdo it or you'll sound like Bryan Adams.

If you ever can scrape together the money for a Rickenbacker from ebay, go ahead and buy one without hesitation.

Telecaster is a fine first electric guitar and the cheap copies are as good as the "real thing" (because the real thing is nothing special, I've got one). You can get the jangly sound on most electric guitars by picking the strings close to the bridge. You also might want to try a "chorus" effect (Boss do a cheap pedal) but don't overdo it or you'll sound like Bryan Adams.

If you ever can scrape together the money for a Rickenbacker from ebay, go ahead and buy one without hesitation.

the Telecaster is the only good Fender. Yes, they are overpriced and a copy is worthwhile.

Amazing if you want a thin sound, try a real guitar, an archtop with p-90s and hear true tone!

Meh, I disagree, an archtop with P90s is lovely (I have one minus the P90s, with humbuckers) but I don't find them as versatile. A decent Telecaster combined with a Vox amp is my favourite mainstay sound, got to remember that a lot of the tone is in the amp. Telecasters can sound thin, if you want them to, but on a decent one theres a huge amount of tone variance in that little silver dial.

Don't buy a chepo guitar you will be dissapointed. Save up for a Ricky or Grtch youwill thank yourself for it.

There are some very good Japanise copies of Ricky's arround, they come up on ebay occasionally - they were made in the same factory that made Ibanez and Fenders later on I beleive. Thay sound good and are half the price. I'd at least try to play one before parting with your cash though!

Back
Top Bottom