Johnny Marr appearing on Would I Lie To You (February 9, 2024)

I thought he did well by the end, it's pretty overwhelming to be in a room with top comedians and not meltdown, or worse try to compete and over do it. Shame they didn't go with one of his funnier "rock n roll" stories but it was fine

Yes agree, it was just fine. But not the funniest episode of Would I Lie to You. I bit of an anti-climax to be honest.
I thought he did well by the end, it's pretty overwhelming to be in a room with top comedians and not meltdown, or worse try to compete and over do it. Shame they didn't go with one of his funnier "rock n roll" stories but it was fine

... maybe it's part of their arrangement to keep their status indefinable to the public eye.
Think I prefer it this way. Doesn't always go well if it turns out a partner is contributing artistically.
I dunno though - isn't he an actor? Perhaps those sort of tips would be a boost?

It is only because they were estranged in the first place that the media have been able to do what they've done - stoke it and poke it and pit them against each other - and it's high time they stopped playing into that game. The irony of the open letter is that it pointed this out (it was basically 'we're being played, stop giving them ammo') -but by just existing, it became ammunition itself. There will a time when none of this matters, nobody lives forever. They need to see the big picture.
Interesting how when it comes to Marr, the meddlesome impact of the media is suddenly acknowledged.

- 'Rock God & guitar legend Johnny Marr'
- Questioned about Simon Cowell.
- "This is my": he came to my rescue when I was egged in the Co-op.
- Lee: Johnny Marr - the coolest person on the show.
- Manchester, 1979, 3wks working @ Co-op. Sacked and egged.
- human omelette, HKIMN joke by Rob.
- links it to meeting Angie and marrying her.
- he was telling... the truth.
- comments on Brian May.
End.

I generally enjoy this programme, but this episode gave off a tense and uneasy vibe.

These media figures could be expected to know of misfortunes Morrissey has been facing.

Lee Mack 'the Knife', sharp as, tested the waters with his comments. He admitted to going all fanboy when telling Johnny he must be the coolest guest they ever had on the show - before quickly adding something about the bar being very low and naming some unknown celebrities as previously holding the title. He also seemed to mess up the Queen mentions on purpose. I imagine Morrissey has met Lee somewhere along the way, maybe when pally with Ross. Morrissey needs to keep this kind of froth at arm's length, which could for now just aggravate wounds. Let him take his time recovering, and be in no hurry to prove anything until he's comfortable to step out again with dignity on his own terms.

Interesting how when it comes to Marr, the meddlesome impact of the media is suddenly acknowledged.
What are you getting at, please?

I generally enjoy this programme, but this episode gave off a tense and uneasy vibe.

These media figures could be expected to know of misfortunes Morrissey has been facing.

Lee Mack 'the Knife', sharp as, tested the waters with his comments. He admitted to going all fanboy when telling Johnny he must be the coolest guest they ever had on the show - before quickly adding something about the bar being very low and naming some unknown celebrities as previously holding the title. He also seemed to mess up the Queen mentions on purpose. I imagine Morrissey has met Lee somewhere along the way, maybe when pally with Ross. Morrissey needs to keep this kind of froth at arm's length, which could for now just aggravate wounds. Let him take his time recovering, and be in no hurry to prove anything until he's comfortable to step out again with dignity on his own terms.

Before you work yourself into a froth, the show was taped last summer.

Johnny Marr is on his way to being an indie rock institution while Morrissey is institutionalized.
Two years ago I really thought Johnny was at the end of his career and Morrissey was the one who would be treated more kindly by history. I also thought Morrissey was completely in his rights to write the open letter to Johnny and I still believe that because Johnny was getting too mouthy and nasty.
Now, Morrissey has put himself on a never ending downward spiral and Johnny has managed to breath new life into his career and stop bashing Morrissey.
All this to say, I agree, Johnny is at icon status with no end in sight, things just keep getting better for him, he is really putting the work in.

They aren't misfortunes, they are disasters of his own making. Should everyone just stop what they are doing until Morrissey decides to pull his giant head out of his ass, which will be never?

Although to be fair, Paul Weller is hardly unknown, but I think you're right, he was pulling back from the earlier fanboy gushing. He must be a Smiths fan and was very intentional and funny with the Queen is Dead comment. Have you seen his impression of Morrissey on 'the Lateish Show'?

Johnny will be appearing on the latest Would I Lie to You? episode Unseen Bits on Friday.

Although to be fair, Paul Weller is hardly unknown, but I think you're right, he was pulling back from the earlier fanboy gushing. He must be a Smiths fan and was very intentional and funny with the Queen is Dead comment. Have you seen his impression of Morrissey on 'the Lateish Show'?

hahahahahha

I'd like to see a nervous human omelette, if that's available anywhere.

I picture it a bit trembling, like jelly.
I miss Jell- Johnny.

The joke being Morrissey was “a miserable git.”
It was a bit predictable. Lee Mack is usually much funnier but Johnny doesn't give too much back in terms of comedy. I've got a feeling if Morrissey appeared on the show(not that he would), Lee, as a huge Smiths fan would be tongue-tied for once in his life.

It was a bit predictable. Lee Mack is usually much funnier but Johnny doesn't give too much back in terms of comedy. I've got a feeling if Morrissey appeared on the show(not that he would), Lee, as a huge Smiths fan would be tongue-tied for once in his life.

It’s sad that media and the general populace has to settle for acts like Marr, he’s safe and his music is safe (= his current popularity).
In this culture climate, they couldn’t risk having Morrissey on. Not to say M is dangerous, but people/organizations these days, all walking on eggshells, in fear of who they’re seen with/associated with, it’s a shame.

It’s sad that media and the general populace has to settle for acts like Marr, he’s safe and his music is safe (= his current popularity).
In this culture climate, they couldn’t risk having Morrissey on. Not to say M is dangerous, but people/organizations these days, all walking on eggshells, in fear of who they’re seen with/associated with, it’s a shame.
Yes, exactly this.

The joke being Morrissey was “a miserable git.”

Johnny's reaction was precious though. I loved him telling stories about the Smiths playing Dingwall's and the Pretenders. Rob Brydon was really relishing those stories as well. Nice little appearance overall, hope he comes back on.

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom