Jonathan Ross tweets about cheering Morrissey up

Re: Wossy "cheers Morrissey up" ??

Moz was recently moaning on TTY about not getting any offers to do TV, so I reckon we can put 2 and 2 together here.

I don't blame Moz for feeling a bit deflated. He released a fantastic album (a 'monster' as he put it himself) and the radio stations are too dumb to play it, and there was no fanfare. He should have been on some TV shows but they were too dim witted to invite him. It really is a disgrace. His best album in years and probably only the die hards will know. That's no way to add to your audience.
And on the other hand you see mediocre shit or absolute offal making it onto the airwaves and having success even though the music is vile and the lead singers have the charisma of a dead donkey abandoned on the top of Croagh Patrick. The world is a strange place populated by boring sheep-people whose only desire is to be led through life by people thicker than themselves. Ah well, at least I have the 'World Peace' deluxe CD to cheer me up, and the prospect of a Moz concert in Ireland later in the year.

I love this post. ,

Don't lose faith...for all we know Staircase and Kiss Me will be released as singles with beautiful B-sides and there will be TV appearances too in support of a UK tour. I didn't consider the pre-release of the 4 download songs as singles. When was the last time Morrissey didn't release a single from an album? Exactly! CR

Hope rumours of a Ross appearance are true. I'm almost certain he'd do World Peace, but Staircase or I'm Not A Man or Kiss Me A Lot would be better choices. Actually I think had Kiss Me been given a traditional release and good promotion it could almost have been his big crossover Let's Dance moment...

Too bad someone couldn't pap him strolling around London or wherever Jonathan Ross is.

Hope rumours of a Ross appearance are true. I'm almost certain he'd do World Peace, but Staircase or I'm Not A Man or Kiss Me A Lot would be better choices. Actually I think had Kiss Me been given a traditional release and good promotion it could almost have been his big crossover Let's Dance moment...
It's not even a rumour, people are just guessing what he did to cheer him up. He could have just bought him a cat, nothing suggests a TV appearence, just he cheered him up...

Last edited:
Since my first listen to the new album, I thought it was brilliant. It is on constant play in my car. Completely agree with you... ACTON. Morrissey still commands an audience who is tired of mediocrity and the vile world of the top 40. Perhaps the lack of invitations (at least while touring the States) was due to the tour's cancellation (?). Do we know if it had continued he would have had a Letterman appearance? He has appeared there a number of times... and the Tonight Show. Of course, I could care less if Kimmel invited him again; Kimmel has the talent of a cardboard cutout.

It's not even a rumour, people are just guessing what he did to cheer him up. He could have just bought him a cat, nothing suggests a TV appearence, just he cheered him up...

Maybe he gave him a rave review blow job but I doubt it.

It's a fair assumption (I mean this is Jonathan Ross tweeting not Boz who might be known to buy the beers or something) that he gave him a T.V. offer but of course nothing is official at this point so we shouldn't get to far ahead.

I doubt anything other than "Will you come on my TV show" would have cheered him up.

Jesse: It's Jonathan Ross on the phone.
Moz: OK. I'll just put on my bathrobe. I've been waiting for this call for a month. What's he saying?
Jesse: He says he's bought you a cat.
Moz: Oh.

I doubt anything other than "Will you come on my TV show" would have cheered him up.

Jesse: It's Jonathan Ross on the phone.
Moz: OK. I'll just put on my bathrobe. I've been waiting for this call for a month. What's he saying?
Jesse: He says he's bought you a cat.
Moz: Oh.

From your description, it sounds like Jesse was cheering him up with a happy ending...

From your description, it sounds like Jesse was cheering him up with a happy ending...

In my mind he was sitting in the corner playing Air On a G-String. Badly, just like he would if he was playing it on a guitar.

These additional tweets seem promising...

Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 9.12.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 9.13.10 PM.png

If he does wind up on the show, I hope his appearance includes an interview.

These additional tweets seem promising...

View attachment 32525 View attachment 32526

If he does wind up on the show, I hope his appearance includes an interview.

Thanks for sharing these. It really is looking more promising. I’m not gonna lie, I listened to the new album twice today, and especially in 12 track form, it blows my freaking mind that it isn’t more popular than it is. I’m not just talking about amongst Moz fans either, but people in general.

Also, I do have to agree w/ Chickpea that “grunge” definitely wiped out whatever chance Moz had of becoming a global star, because at the height of his U.S. popularity the kinda music he was playing was not “in”, really. I actually got into “alternative” or whatever you want to call it via grunge, so I wouldn’t have even heard of the Smiths if it wasn’t for Nirvana (one of my all time favorites) etc. But I digress...

I don't blame Moz for feeling a bit deflated. He released a fantastic album (a 'monster' as he put it himself) and the radio stations are too dumb to play it, and there was no fanfare. He should have been on some TV shows but they were too dim witted to invite him. It really is a disgrace. His best album in years and probably only the die hards will know. That's no way to add to your audience.
And on the other hand you see mediocre shit or absolute offal making it onto the airwaves and having success even though the music is vile and the lead singers have the charisma of a dead donkey abandoned on the top of Croagh Patrick. The world is a strange place populated by boring sheep-people whose only desire is to be led through life by people thicker than themselves. Ah well, at least I have the 'World Peace' deluxe CD to cheer me up, and the prospect of a Moz concert in Ireland later in the year.

I just want to say something positive before others rip you apart for saying it is a fantastic album. I agree with you completely. I have been following Morrissey since 1985 and I'm glad he mixed it up with the bells and whistles this time. I also enjoy how stubborn and opinionated he is on the album.

My concern is that it sounds like he put a lot of effort and pride in this album and it has been not been received well. This would knock the wind out of most people and send them into retirement. I don't care for chart topping hits or stuff that sounds like "The Smiths" as long as he puts out a few more albums I'm sure I'll enjoy most of the material.

Thanks for sharing these. It really is looking more promising. I’m not gonna lie, I listened to the new album twice today, and especially in 12 track form, it blows my freaking mind that it isn’t more popular than it is. I’m not just talking about amongst Moz fans either, but people in general.

Also, I do have to agree w/ Chickpea that “grunge” definitely wiped out whatever chance Moz had of becoming a global star, because at the height of his U.S. popularity the kinda music he was playing was not “in”, really. I actually got into “alternative” or whatever you want to call it via grunge, so I wouldn’t have even heard of the Smiths if it wasn’t for Nirvana (one of my all time favorites) etc. But I digress...

Morrissey has never been "in." Even at the height of his popularity in the early 90s here in the U.S. he was selling out concerts in record time, yet he made very little mainstream news. His music just doesn't appeal to the masses and that's what I like about it.

I don't think grunge had anything to do with the lack of success he had during that period. I just remember being pissed off when curt died, because Morrissey cancelled a show because of it.

Don't lose faith...for all we know Staircase and Kiss Me will be released as singles with beautiful B-sides and there will be TV appearances too in support of a UK tour. I didn't consider the pre-release of the 4 download songs as singles. When was the last time Morrissey didn't release a single from an album? Exactly! CR

Those 4 download songs have spoken word videos and a 10" vinyl. When was the last time he did that? The only beautiful B sides you'll be hearing are the ones from the second disc. They only cut 18 songs in the studio.

I just want to say something positive before others rip you apart for saying it is a fantastic album. I agree with you completely. I have been following Morrissey since 1985 and I'm glad he mixed it up with the bells and whistles this time. I also enjoy how stubborn and opinionated he is on the album.

My concern is that it sounds like he put a lot of effort and pride in this album and it has been not been received well. This would knock the wind out of most people and send them into retirement. I don't care for chart topping hits or stuff that sounds like "The Smiths" as long as he puts out a few more albums I'm sure I'll enjoy most of the material.

But it has been received well. Incredibly well actually.

Too bad someone couldn't pap him strolling around London or wherever Jonathan Ross is.

If you see a royal blue BMW bubble car zipping around London chances are it'll be Ross. How much for a photo of JR and Morrissey in one of these?

OlXcBoF.jpg

I don't think they would fit.

I can imagine their huge moon faces pressed against the glass whippin' (around) Piccadilly. There's not enough hours in the day.

------------------------------------

It's interesting to hear talk of why Morrissey didn't break America. It's true the sudden rise of grunge may have had an affect but people are entirely capable of embracing two or more genres of music at once.

There are many of us here I'm sure, who then and probably now, listen to Morrissey, the Fall, Echo & The Bunnymen, Johnny Cash, George Jones, Lennon, Sinatra, Elvis, the Stones and Maria Callas et al, probably mixed in with something very current that won't last until the end of next week.

Morrissey's big break in the US came on Carson in 1991 promoting what is still widely believed, even by his fans, to be his worst album, Kill Uncle. If you, the average punter, had raced out and bought KU on the strength of that appearance alone it might have given you pause for thought. If he had been given the chance to promote Viva Hate or Your Arsenal as a first step in America his profile may have been higher. He'd never have been Garth Brooks, but I would guess he might not have wanted to be.

In the end it is only ever about the songs, and that is as true today as it has ever been. Radio stations don't pick up on the types of songs on World Peace so they don't get airplay, so the album gains less promotion, so it sells fewer copies. Again, as he has throughout his career, Morrissey has a knack for leaving songs which should have been on the actual release as bonus disc extras, but that's no surprise. Anyone who relegates something as magnificent as Nobody Loves Us to a b-side, for example, can't be said to always have sound (Ithangyew) judgement.

It is all well and good complaining that if more people had heard it more would have bought it, but far, far better albums than World Peace have tanked. It doesn't help that Morrissey, always out there on the edge, has now, through his political naiveté and idiot gob positioned himself on the ledge beyond the edge, but ultimately it is only the songs that matter.

On World Peace there aren't enough tunes to get even Morrissey fans to buy it in previous numbers. Pure and simple.

Last edited:
I can imagine their huge moon faces pressed against the glass whippin' (around) Piccadilly. There's not enough hours in the day.

------------------------------------

It's interesting to hear talk of why Morrissey didn't break America. It's true the sudden rise of grunge may have had an affect but people are entirely capable of embracing two or more genres of music at once.

There are many of us here I'm sure, who then and probably now, listen to Morrissey, the Fall, Echo & The Bunnymen, Johnny Cash, George Jones, Lennon, Sinatra, Elvis, the Stones and Maria Callas et al, probably mixed in with something very current that won't last until the end of next week.

Morrissey's big break in the US came on Carson in 1991 promoting what is still widely believed, even by his fans, to be his worst album, Kill Uncle. If you, the average punter, had raced out and bought KU on the strength of that appearance alone it might have given you pause for thought. If he had been given the chance to promote Viva Hate or Your Arsenal as a first step in America his profile may have been higher. He'd never have been Garth Brooks, but I would guess he might not have wanted to be.

In the end it is only ever about the songs, and that is as true today as it has ever been. Radio stations don't pick up on the types of songs on World Peace so they don't get airplay, so the album gains less promotion, so it sells fewer copies. Again, as he has throughout his career, Morrissey has a knack for leaving songs which should have been on the actual release as bonus disc extras, but that's no surprise. Anyone who relegates something as magnificent as Nobody Loves Us to a b-side, for example, can't be said to always have sound (Ithangyew) judgement.

It is all well and good complaining that if more people had heard it more would have bought it, but far, far better albums than World Peace have tanked. It doesn't help that Morrissey, always out there on the edge, has now, through his political naiveté and idiot gob positioned himself on the ledge beyond the edge, but ultimately it is only the songs that matter.

On World Peace there aren't enough tunes to get even Morrissey fans to buy it in previous numbers. Pure and simple.

Oh yes, totally agree, amazing. I'm pretty sure, in my Friday night drunkne(?) stupor that is, that "Art Hounds" is one of the best pop songs ever written (well, I don't actually mean that, but you know, it's pretty great). And yes, far better albums than WPINOYB have tanked. But I don't think that his political naivetaaay has earned him many enemies (people don't really care about politics, right?). He is great, pure and simple. To hell with album sales.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom