London - O2 Academy Brixton (Aug. 7, 2011) post-show

I just have to share this right now.
http://lockerz.com/s/127541861
Do you see this thing in the right corner? I thought somebody was joking earlier on when he twittered about a nude Morrissey cardboard. I have this funny feeling that Morrissey is doing a Charlie Sheen. It worked for him, because from what I read his comedy show or whatever he toured with sold pretty well. Britney Spears sold the most records ever when she went bonkers and Kate Moss was back in business amazingly quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roland - your review sums the night up perfectly, Moz was really up for it and fed from the tremendous energy from the crowd. All you naysayers - please get down to Beachy Head and well - JUMP.

Well it's the morning after the night before, and though I had planned to write a long, detailed review of this gig I am just too tired...
Nevertheless I do want to say that this was an absolutely stunning show - it was my 5th Moz gig and without a doubt my best so far. After so many weeks and months of reading setlists and comments, wondering and waiting, it was just such a relief to actually BE THERE. The setlist was fantastic, every single song sounded great, and the crowd (at least those around me near the front) were a pleasure to be with. All were singing along as though their lives depended on it and despite the inevitable crushing and barging, all were friendly and I didn't see so much as an angry glance throughout the whole set.
Morrissey himself seemed in fine form and looked to be enjoying himself. The band were terrific and quite frankly made all of the negativity written about them on this site look utterly ridiculous.
To even try and pick out highlights would be impossible - from start to finish I could not have been happier. The new song Art-hounds sounded really, really good. I didn't catch that many of the lyrics, other than a pleasing falsetto wail of 'My life is over!' (I think - apologies if I am wrong) but it rocked hard, possibly even harder than Years of Refusal, and on first impression I would say it is comfortably the best of the new songs, all of which I like a lot. Please someone give him a record deal!!
The crush to get to the merchandise stall after the show was actually more intense than the crush to get to the front during the show. During my time in the queue I saw 8 people buying the life-size naked Morrissey cut-outs (at £50 a time!), and each one got a cheer. I went away with an Everyday is Like Sunday mug and a nice T-shirt with a picture of Moz at the barbers.
I suppose I have written quite a lot after all.... In short, a wonderful, euphoric night on which any remnants of insidious negativity from certain people on this site were blasted to smithereens in 80 incredible minutes.
Enjoy the palladium tonight folks!

A magical evening.

Screamingly Fun.

'You don't have to say you love me,' sang Morrissey with a playful smile.

My life is a shambles but interesting changes are afoot. It's a time of reflection. It's a time for crying. It is a time for Morrissey. All I have done for days is listen to 'Years of Refusal,' and submerge my vacant head in its angry, tender melancholy. My parents failed. I have nobody. Thankfully I still have Morrissey's music and it still gives me a black eye like no other artist. The words hurt, they lead me somewhere I can't quite guess, they kick me in the foot, whimsical laughter follows as the pain gives way, they twist in the air and then they leave me lying on the floor wishing how different life could be.

The pain I feel is because of the realisation of how much time I have wasted on mundane things.

Morrissey was just terribly GOOD FUN this evening. One of the most enjoyable shows I've seen in my life. His voice was slowed down, utterly articulate and focused, dripping with irony and sense of occasion. Each syllable delivered like bricks through the shop windows all around Brixton. Each word chosen for strange reasons, unfathomable reasons. His face doesn't quite do what a normal person's face does these days. Like all famous people, he has long since given up catering. He is who he is. A puzzled grimace, a strangely alluring smile, a considered jut of the jaw.

'I take hormones every day... a word to the wise'

'Something Albert Finney said... but it remains good advice... Don't let the b******* grind you down.'

I Want The One I Can't Have swirls like a kiddies' toddling pool, round and round. Alma Matters was sweet and salty, beautifully rendered. Speedway was a boot to the head. The 15 second pause was pre-orgasmic. Meat is Murder groaned and sailed into the spirit, augmented by images of animals and cruelty, words to inspire. Paris was as bittersweet as any of his songs, cute and mournful, encouraging a few scratchy words of song from my larynx. Everyday is Like Sunday and There is a Light squeezed us just a little by the sides of the thorax. First of the Gang to Die brought the house down. 'You Have Never Been in Love Until You've Seen the Stars Refl;ect in the Reservoirs.'

Morrissey looked magnificient. The band were great. His charisma held my gze like no other.

'Art-Hounds' was dazzling. Weirdness reminiscient of 'Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed,' a clashing verse-chorus transition, screaming falsetto and pounding drums. A touch of 'Mute Witness' on steroids and heavy, angry drums. 'My Life is Open' he implored. 'Art-Hounds, sitting at a restaurant, very funny, very witty...' There was a sexy dollop of punk thrown into the mix and a fistful of star dust.

'Action' sounded very good in this company.

I wonder, I wonder, I wonder what the future holds.

I don't love life very much but I still love morrissey. I love his music more than ever. And I wait for his next album with a look of distress at the maelstrom of misery I endure every single day of my life. It's pathetic at my age but I still need him as much as ever. Who are we trying to kid? We all do. Who else is there? Nobody.

Broken

The most perfect review. I couldn’t have said it better myself. I wish I could have been there. Then I would have said it. Well I would have tried to anyway. But then I can’t write as well as you.
Thank you very very much again Broken. There speaks a true fan.

Truely yours,

Kate2828

This is beautiful!

Beautiful? The song comprises a tired cliché of a lyric superimposed onto a 'tune' that appeared on his last album. It's a shame he doesn't know when he's beat.

Throw in the towel, Morrissey.

Beautiful? The song comprises a tired cliché of a lyric superimposed onto a 'tune' that appeared on his last album. It's a shame he doesn't know when he's beat.

Throw in the towel, Morrissey.

No! I'm still in love and that's why I like it. He keeps doing it!

A magical evening.

Screamingly Fun.

'You don't have to say you love me,' sang Morrissey with a playful smile.

My life is a shambles but interesting changes are afoot. It's a time of reflection. It's a time for crying. It is a time for Morrissey. All I have done for days is listen to 'Years of Refusal,' and submerge my vacant head in its angry, tender melancholy. My parents failed. I have nobody. Thankfully I still have Morrissey's music and it still gives me a black eye like no other artist. The words hurt, they lead me somewhere I can't quite guess, they kick me in the foot, whimsical laughter follows as the pain gives way, they twist in the air and then they leave me lying on the floor wishing how different life could be.

The pain I feel is because of the realisation of how much time I have wasted on mundane things.

Morrissey was just terribly GOOD FUN this evening. One of the most enjoyable shows I've seen in my life. His voice was slowed down, utterly articulate and focused, dripping with irony and sense of occasion. Each syllable delivered like bricks through the shop windows all around Brixton. Each word chosen for strange reasons, unfathomable reasons. His face doesn't quite do what a normal person's face does these days. Like all famous people, he has long since given up catering. He is who he is. A puzzled grimace, a strangely alluring smile, a considered jut of the jaw.

'I take hormones every day... a word to the wise'

'Something Albert Finney said... but it remains good advice... Don't let the b******* grind you down.'

I Want The One I Can't Have swirls like a kiddies' toddling pool, round and round. Alma Matters was sweet and salty, beautifully rendered. Speedway was a boot to the head. The 15 second pause was pre-orgasmic. Meat is Murder groaned and sailed into the spirit, augmented by images of animals and cruelty, words to inspire. Paris was as bittersweet as any of his songs, cute and mournful, encouraging a few scratchy words of song from my larynx. Everyday is Like Sunday and There is a Light squeezed us just a little by the sides of the thorax. First of the Gang to Die brought the house down. 'You Have Never Been in Love Until You've Seen the Stars Refl;ect in the Reservoirs.'

Morrissey looked magnificient. The band were great. His charisma held my gze like no other.

'Art-Hounds' was dazzling. Weirdness reminiscient of 'Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed,' a clashing verse-chorus transition, screaming falsetto and pounding drums. A touch of 'Mute Witness' on steroids and heavy, angry drums. 'My Life is Open' he implored. 'Art-Hounds, sitting at a restaurant, very funny, very witty...' There was a sexy dollop of punk thrown into the mix and a fistful of star dust.

'Action' sounded very good in this company.

I wonder, I wonder, I wonder what the future holds.

I don't love life very much but I still love morrissey. I love his music more than ever. And I wait for his next album with a look of distress at the maelstrom of misery I endure every single day of my life. It's pathetic at my age but I still need him as much as ever. Who are we trying to kid? We all do. Who else is there? Nobody.

Broken

Broken you have been missed. Easily the best review of the tour. I haven't been able to see Moz and I've been crying out for something just a little bit evocative to feel how it felt. That's one of the most amazing reviews I've read because it's almost poetic. I love the way you write. It seems very different from how you uised to write your reviews?

Email me broken. And come here more often.

Amazed more people haven't thanked you for this write-up.

For all the people who say he's all washed up and should just retire..

You all sound kind of angry and bitter. If you don't like the new songs and the current gigs that's unfortunate. I am not wowed by the new songs but I don't hate them and I want to wait for their final release before passing judgment on them.

I just don't understand why the tone seems so full of hate. No one is making you go to the shows. You don't have to buy the album if it ever gets released.

I don't mean this to sound like "Kiss ass or go away" because I think it's very fair to be critical but the way people are going about it seems to be spiteful.

The most perfect review. I couldn’t have said it better myself. I wish I could have been there. Then I would have said it. Well I would have tried to anyway. But then I can’t write as well as you.
Thank you very very much again Broken. There speaks a true fan.

Truely yours,

Kate2828

I agree with you. Possibly for the first time. I mean I agree that you can't write as well as Broken. The first true thing you've said.

You can't write as well as anybody.

You wouldn’t know as Davidt makes my posts obsolete most of the time when they pertain to celibate cry who talks to me when I don’t even talk to that thing. He is an instigator and tells Davidt to make my posts invisible. Then manages to leave his up while all I’m doing is only responding to that complete and utter plonk and his abuse directed at me. And Davidt calls this a democracy. Haha
Davidt are you ejecting my posts because you got ejected from the concert by Morrissey.

Kate2828

You wouldn’t know as Davidt makes my posts obsolete most of the time when they pertain to celibate cry who talks to me when I don’t even talk to that thing. He is an instigator and tells Davidt to make my posts invisible. Then manages to leave his up while all I’m doing is only responding to that complete and utter plonk and his abuse directed at me. And Davidt calls this a democracy. Haha
Davidt are you ejecting my posts because you got ejected from the concert by Morrissey.

Kate2828

Shut up

Kate 2828

I never got ejected from a concert and that makes you mad.

Kate2828

I’m bored with you all now. Bye and I won’t be coming back. You know what you’ve done.

Kate2828

Tell me he's not just engaging in another ad hominem attack on people who don't appreciate his "Art". Change the f***ing record, Steven. Ignoring the, by now, hackneyed theme, the lyric sounds half-finished and the vocal melody is virtually non-existent.

Musically, it sounds like it could've been on Years Of Refusal. Enough said.
Years of refusal.Enough said.Change the f***ing record indeed.

Back
Top Bottom