Misunderstood lyrics, please help

• Thread starter Emanciated mentality
  • Start date
E

Emanciated mentality

I have always wondered about the meaning of the lyric, "A boy in the bush is worth two in the hand". Can anyoe explain this?

> I have always wondered about the meaning of the lyric, "A¿ boy in the bush is worth two in the hand". Can anyoe¿ explain this?

Probably something homoerotic. Somebody smarter than I will give you the proper answer.

legup.jpg

Morrissey is here adapting for comic effect the proverb, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". Which means that what you have is worth more than what you might get, or something.

Once he's changed the words about, the meaning is kind of obvious. It's possibly that "boy" is deliberately meant to contrast with "bird" (ie slang for a girl/girlfriend). "Bird" in the orginal saying means the kind that have wings.

"A boy in the bush" refers to the homosexual practice of having sex in the foliage of parks. "In the hand" is kind of obvious. Don't worry too much about why Morrissey thinks the former is preferable to the latter. He HAS to, or else the joke wouldn't work.

Hmm, ok, I understand now! Thanks a lot, Imposter!

> "A boy in the bush" refers to the homosexual practice¿ of having sex in the foliage of parks.

I've always interpreted it as having intercourse

> I've always interpreted it as having intercourse

Hmm, I see what you mean. But, to be technical, it's what only girls have that is sometimes called a bush! To be blunt, bum-holes are not bushes!

Yes, but explain how Morrissey would have 'a boy in the bush' if that were the case. The truth is that DH Lawrence wrote a novel called "A Boy in the Bush".¿ Hmm, I see what you mean. But, to be technical, it's what only¿ girls have that is sometimes called a bush! To be blunt,¿ bum-holes are not bushes!

cleostill10.jpg

Er, if you go back to a bit you'll see that I already have explained that. He has (ie has sex with) a boy in the bush (ie the shrubbery in the park, or wherever - quite a common thing). Am I not clear enough? DH Lawrence probably adapted the same proverb. If Morrissey was aware of Lawrence's book then still his source must be considered to be the famous saying because he completes it.

Yeh, its pretty straight forward really, although at the time there was a lot off fuss about child abuse because of this line.¿ Er, if you go back to a bit you'll see that I already have¿ explained that. He has (ie has sex with) a boy in the bush (ie¿ the shrubbery in the park, or wherever - quite a common thing).¿ Am I not clear enough? DH Lawrence probably adapted the same¿ proverb. If Morrissey was aware of Lawrence's book then still¿ his source must be considered to be the famous saying because he¿ completes it.

cleostill10.jpg

Morrissey's lyrics are SO dirty.¿ Morrissey is here adapting for comic effect the proverb, "A¿ bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". Which means¿ that what you have is worth more than what you might get, or¿ something.¿ Once he's changed the words about, the meaning is kind of¿ obvious. It's possibly that "boy" is deliberately¿ meant to contrast with "bird" (ie slang for a¿ girl/girlfriend). "Bird" in the orginal saying means¿ the kind that have wings.¿ "A boy in the bush" refers to the homosexual practice¿ of having sex in the foliage of parks. "In the hand"¿ is kind of obvious. Don't worry too much about why Morrissey¿ thinks the former is preferable to the latter. He HAS to, or¿ else the joke wouldn't work.

> Yeh, its pretty straight forward really, although at the time¿ there was a lot off fuss about child abuse because of this line.

And "climb on my knee Sonny Boy" etc. I think Moz was pushing his luck a bit in 1983.

Back
Top Bottom