Morrissey's Statement

I do not mean to be rude to Tim Jonze, but when I first caught sight of him I assumed that someone had brought their child along to the interview. The runny nose told the whole story. Conor had assured that Tim was their best writer. Talking behind his hands in an endless fidget, Tim accepted every answer I gave him with a schoolgirl giggle, and repeatedly asked me if I was shocked at how little he actually knew about music. I told him that, yes, I was shocked. It was difficult for me to believe that the best writer from the "new" NME had never heard of the song 'Drive-in Saturday'; I explained that it was by David Bowie, and Tim replied "Oh, I don't know anything about David Bowie." I wondered how it could be so - how the quality of music journalism in England could have fallen so low that the prime "new" NME writer knew nothing of David Bowie, an artist to whom most relevant British artists are indebted, and one who single-handedly changed British culture - musically and otherwise.

haha this part was great! i was actually checking out Tim Jonze's myspace the other day and he did look REALLY young. i cant believe he was their best writer either. i mean, content aside, the article was NOT written that well.

Brilliant statement. So well written. Moz is a genius indeed.

And the more we learn about this interview - as long as Moz n Merck can make these facts stick in court - the more I believe he does have a genuine case against the NME for defamation under English law. And I hope he takes it all the way. Those opportunistic, grasping f***ers who thought to ride to a nice little self-righteous bit of back-slapping on the back of Moz deserve nothing less.

I am sorry, Morrissey is an absolute GENIUS with his "NEW" NME parallel...

MORRISSEY, you have done it again!!! There must be a twinkle in his eye tonight!!!

I LOVE THIS ABOUT YOU MORRISSEY...

PERFECT GENIUS

NAUGHTY TWINKLE IN HIS EYE TONIGHT!!!!

:D:D:D

Incredible.

Reading that was as thrilling as buying a new Moz single.

My faith didn't need restoring because it never wavered-- but I'm ecstatic he spoke out in such high style.

"Morrissey-ism". Classic.

haha I can't add anything new, but that was freaken great! Morrissey, this reminds me why I love you so much!

He has such a marvellous turn of phrase.

"Uniquely deprived of wisdom, Conor would be repulsed by my vast collection of World Cinema films..."

Even if Moz loses the trial, this is a moral victory and also a linguistic victory - simply because this is the best press statement ever written.

As a student active in speech and debate let me just say that was a tour de force in terms of slamming the opposistion. Wether or not Morrissey wins the lawsuit he won the media war with one of the best written public statements i've ever seen. I'd go so far as to have him get Bozz to put together a guitar riff and record this :). But no wow this was a good arguement

The condemnation of racism was not unexpected for anyone who has paid attention to his body of work, but I must say the total demolition of the "new" NME was surprising in its detailed attack, a most gratifying public spanking of Conor McNicholas and his "runny-nosed" underling. I don't think it will hurt their circulation one bit but it plays well to this crowd.

The statement, along with his Q & As over the last few years, reveal an urgent need: Morrissey, write your damn book!

excuse me, I just read that statement again and rather than even comment on it's brilliance... I feel like I need to go out and have a cigarette... because that was orgasmic. :)

great except for he can't keep straight which year he releases songs - Bengali was on Viva Hate - 1988/1989 I believe!

Edit: Year now fixed on TTY

Last edited:
Incidentally, I was really glad to read his strong praise for David Bowie. It's a shame there was any bad blood between them. I hope David reads the statement.

Code:
To such artists, I wish them well, but I would advise you to bring your lawyer along to the interview.

My own place, now and forevermore, shall not be with the "new" NME - and how wrong my face even looks on its
 cover. Of this, I am eternally grateful.
and so on and so on...nothing to answer for^^

now my heart is full...high five mozzer...:cool:
You have killed me (them) ;)

I don't think I could love him even more, but this might do. It's just freaking brilliant!!!:D

It seems to me that Morrissey only ever gave the NME a second chance for romantic reasons. They know how important Morrissey is but they failed to understand Morrissey. They were clouded by jealousy. It was simply a couple of twats trying to take out the dominant male, in a pathetic attempt to gain notoriety and boost sales.

This may work for the short term. After that, what will the knock on effect be of serious artists speaking with them? Why take the risk? The NME ceased to be important many years ago and now Conner is putting the old cow out of it's misery. Time for the knackers yard is long overdue. Artists should be petitioned to not speak to the NME, or at least be warned of the dangers. The NME website is their only hope of staying in business, so I for one will avoid visting it.

I don't feel the need to debate if Morrissey is racist or not. Certainly not on this forum. You already know. We already know where he stands. We have been listening to his songs, his comments at concerts and reading his interviews for however long. At 37 year old. Half of my life has been dedicated to the very subject. It's about time the media picked up on it. I hope they are quick enough to cut and paste from Morrissey's statement in the same manner they have with NME's twisted words. They wont though to any great degree. We know that too. We will have to debate with people who have heard or read the NME spin on Morrissey's views and give them education in reverse.

Tim Jonze has proved over the last few days just what a fanny he is. He isn't worth writing a full paragraph on. He will do well at the NME during its dying days.

I feel 'Love Music Hate Racism' comment on this issue and distance themselves from the NME. They should go further and acknowledge not only is Morrissey not racist but that the NME used racism to sell their magazine. Shame on them. Shame on everybody at NME who remains silent.

It is understandable that IPC would defend writs technically served against them. It is them it will cost and damage. Their lawyers are going to find it harder to prove NME's portrayal of Morrissey was anything like fair or accurate. They'd have more chance proving David Irving should be awarded the nobel peace prize. IPC should hand Conor his P45 today. Pressure should be put on IPC to act quickly and firmly, or some of the shit will stick to them. I suggest we put pressure on them by boycotting their products and Time Warner products until Coner is sacked shortly after making an apology to Morrissey. IPC should donate a huge sum to 'Love Music Hate Racism' as a goodwill gesture. They will also have to redress the balance to the damage their vile article has caused to Morrissey in the various ways. Personally and professionally.

Boycott List:
25 Beautiful Homes
25 Beautiful Kitchens
4x4 Magazine
Aeroplane
Amateur Gardening
Amateur Photographer
Angler's Mail
Cage & Aviary Birds
Caravan
Chat
Chat - It's Fate
Chat Passion
Classic Boat
Country Homes & Interiors
Country Life
Cycle Sport
Cycling Weekly
Decanter
Essentials
European Boatbuilder
Eventing
Golf Monthly
GoodtoKnow
Guitar & Bass
Hair
Hi-Fi News
Homes & Gardens
Horse
Horse & Hound
housetohome.co.uk
IBI
Ideal Home
In Style
Land Rover World
Livingetc
Loaded
Look
Marie Claire
MiniWorld
Model Collector
Motor Boat & Yachting
Motor Boats Monthly
Motor Caravan
Mountain Bike Rider (MBR)
myholidayideas.co.uk
NME
Now
Nuts
Park Home & Holiday Caravan
Pick Me Up
Practical Boat Owner
Practical Parenting
Prediction
Racecar Engineering
Rugby World
Ships Monthly
Shoot
Shooting Times & Country Magazine
Shootinguk.co.uk
Soaplife
Sporting Gun
Stamp Magazine
SuperBike Magazine
The Field
The Railway Magazine
The Shooting Gazette
TrustedReviews.com
TV & Satellite Week
TV easy
TVTimes
Uncut
Volkswagen GOLF+
VolksWorld
Wallpaper*
Web User
Wedding
Wedding Flowers
What Digital Camera
What's on TV
Woman
woman&home
Woman’s Own
Woman’s Weekly
World Soccer
Yachting Monthly
Yachting World
YBW.com

http://www.ipcmedia.com/press/contacts/

The news should have been exclusively about Morrissey's new record deal with Decca. Afterall the music is what it is about. Polydor labels make me think of my youth and The Beatles. Oh, and The Jam. Looking forward to 2008!

Back
Top Bottom