New York, NY - United Palace (Oct. 22, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Our Frank / Suedehead / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Alma Matters / Half A Person / I Wish You Lonely / Let Me Kiss You / How Soon Is Now? / Girlfriend In A Coma / Darling, I Hug A Pillow / The Loop / Istanbul / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Irish Blood, English Heart / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Jack The Ripper // Speedway

Setlist courtesy of @Amsden & @FROSTY

Last edited:
I feel Jesse is skilled enough to learn the basic "gist" of a song but not skilled enough to play it properly. I think he tries for the basic idea and goes on from there. I don't think he has the innate ability to play (anything) with intricacy and finesse. He always opts for heavy-handedness which detracts from so many great songs. It's a shame, really.
i hear no issue

I feel Jesse is skilled enough to learn the basic "gist" of a song but not skilled enough to play it properly. I think he tries for the basic idea and goes on from there. I don't think he has the innate ability to play (anything) with intricacy and finesse. He always opts for heavy-handedness which detracts from so many great songs. It's a shame, really.
If I am not mistaken, Jessie plays a Starcaster guitar which is a semi-hollow with humbuckers (as opposed to single coil pickups - dark sound as opposed to a bright crisp sound) and the Starcaster has a very full-throated tone as opposed to a Rickenbacker or Telecaster which has a very jangly or as they sound in county music a chickenpicken sound. You may be associating the classic Smiths sound with a Rickenbacker or Telecaster played though a Roland Jazz Chorus amp for example, as opposed to a Starcaster through a Marshall. I thought his work on Dog was the best record since Vauxhall. Jesse is a very good guitarist, but I get what you are saying his style is for sure not Johnny Marr, but this may come down to his technique and choice of equipment. Cheers.

I think I've said this before, but I do think people are underestimating the number of songs Morrissey has played, from his own and the Smiths catalog.

Personal example: I followed U2 from 1987 - 2009 over 32 shows. I am admittedly a geek and kept a spreadsheet of all the songs I heard at each show. For those who don't know, U2 always play a ridiculously static setlist. If you see them multiple shows over one tour, you will see the exact same setlist almost without change, not even changing the order. Maybe on the 4th night of 4 at MSG or Boston, you'll get an oddity, but that's it. I've followed M from 2012 - present. When I hit show #32, I compared the number of songs I had heard him play to that point (again from my spreadsheet) and I'd heard almost twice as many songs following Morrissey in 6 1/2 years (when I hit show #32) than I did following U2 over 22 years!

Purely anecdotal, but as someone willing to travel and pay to see bands outside my home range, I've certainly not been disappointed. Heading to NYC tomorrow for the last two and quite honestly just looking to have a good time enjoying the music. My partner in crime was there this weekend without me and she really enjoyed the shows.

If I am not mistaken, Jessie plays a Starcaster guitar which is a semi-hollow with humbuckers (as opposed to single coil pickups - dark sound as opposed to a bright crisp sound) and the Starcaster has a very full-throated tone as opposed to a Rickenbacker or Telecaster which has a very jangly or as they sound in county music a chickenpicken sound. You may be associating the classic Smiths sound with a Rickenbacker or Telecaster played though a Roland Jazz Chorus amp for example, as opposed to a Starcaster through a Marshall. I thought his work on Dog was the best record since Vauxhall. Jesse is a very good guitarist, but I get what you are saying his style is for sure not Johnny Marr, but this may come down to his technique and choice of equipment. Cheers.
I mean Johnny used guitars with single coils and humbuckers. Unless the signal is clean it's not very relevant. If one guitarist sounds worse or better than another, than it has more to do with how they play vs the equipment they use.

Apples and oranges. The Smiths guitar parts are not blues-based, but are influenced by folk, funk and post-punk. You can’t just noodle or power chord your way through them.
I listen to Marr play Smiths songs live and I don't really see them as being much better than Jessie or Carmen playing the same songs. I guess it is his dreadful singing that does me in, but I get what you are saying about arpeggiated guitar chords played on a Rick through a JC120. Also, don't forget Andy Rouke and Mike Joyce had distinct sound on their own. At any rate, take away Morrissey's vocal melody over the top and all you have is some nice guitar music.

I mean Johnny used guitars with single coils and humbuckers. Unless the signal is clean it's not very relevant. If one guitarist sounds worse or better than another, than it has more to do with how they play vs the equipment they use.
I don't agree with that at all. Put a Rickenbacker through a JC120 and Eddie Van Halen will both play and sound very different. Equipment is a massive factor in the way you both approach and play guitar and thus the sound. But, I totally agree Johnny Marr and Jessie Tobias are very different guitar players. Personally, I will take Jessie's work on Dog over anything Marr has done recently, but that is just Marr can't sing for shit and it takes away from his playing. But, who cares he is Johnny Marr after all!

I know! It’s crazy! right?

It makes one think Morrissey may want to go in the direction of blues-based/power chord heavy music, even if that means transforming
delicate Smiths songs to fit his vision.

What a jerk !
Everyone on this forum seems to dislike Jessie Tobias. I get it. But, I don't see anything on Dog (the most recent Morrissey release) that is necessarily blues-based/power chord heavy music in fact quite the opposite. But again, everyone dislikes Jessie I fully get it.

I know! It’s crazy! right?

It makes one think Morrissey may want to go in the direction of blues-based/power chord heavy music, even if that means transforming
delicate Smiths songs to fit his vision.

What a jerk !

Exactly! What he did to This Charming Man was a travesty!

Paraphrasing from memory some of Moz's hilariou between song banter from last night's show:

If you've never had liquid magnesium, then you really should. . .

How glorious it must be to wake up every mornning in a city where all the greats of stage, screen, music and blah, blah, blah. . . have roamed. . . .as oppossed to someplace like "Scanton, NJ. (Scranton is in PA)

and

"Here's a song you've never asked for. . . . "
I wonder if the "Scranton, New Jersey" reference was an intentional mistake or just a mistake. If the latter, I hope someone advised him of the correct location of Scranton.

I wonder if the "Scranton, New Jersey" reference was an intentional mistake or just a mistake. If the latter, I hope someone advised him of the correct location of Scranton.

omg. We’ll never forgive him.

So true. And what’s up these people that don’t like Jesse?! Did he once refuse to throw them his pick during a show or something?! They’re such jerks! Am I right?
"Jerk" is a rather strong word. I think it is nostalgia and how much we all love the Smiths.

A joke I imagine. He said "hello Tennessee" in DC so my guess is that its just some running joke he does every other show or something. Or maybe he's developing dementia.

Apples and oranges. The Smiths guitar parts are not blues-based, but are influenced by folk, funk and post-punk. You can’t just noodle or power chord your way through them.

Also the band follows a pre-recorded backing track of an acoustic guitar on Please Please. If they resort to that it means "(These) Girls Can't Play (Acoustic) Guitar"

Dos cosas de anoche:
Compré la deseable primera fila (AA), pensando que estaría justo en los rieles, vaya, me equivoqué... cuando llegué a mi asiento, ya había una fila completa de personas paradas allí, ninguna tenía el boleto AA. , a la seguridad no le importaba, ¿¡¡¿QUÉ!!!???
Sin embargo, el karma me pagó, arrojó la camiseta lo suficientemente lejos detrás de esas personas, así que logré atrapar toda la camiseta.:)
¡¡¡¡Me alegro!!!! Fue karma positivo para ti, karma negativo para los ventajosos y/o acomodados.
ESAAAAA

Also the band follows a pre-recorded backing track of an acoustic guitar on Please Please. If they resort to that it means "(These) Girls Can't Play (Acoustic) Guitar"

imo this collaboration with Tobias is exceptional and Jessie has a far more advanced sound than Marr. Marr for me sounds like an Oasis rehash with poor lyrics, mediocre guitar playing, and awful singing. I guess Electronic and The The has a niche if you like a New Order record, but Marr has done absolutely nothing worthwhile since The Smiths and I mean absolutely nothing and his live performance with his eyes closed is even worse.

Two things from last night:
I purchased the desirable front row (AA), thinking i will get to be right on the rails, boy was I wrong...when I came to my seat, there were already full line of people standing there, none had the AA ticket, security didn't care, WTH!!!???
However, karma paid me back, he threw the shirt just far enough behind those people, so I've managed to caught the entire shirt :)
Well deserved after 100 shows!! SUPER FAN OF SUPER SINGER OF OURS. MOZ .. NOW I'M LISTENING TO MOON RIVER GOD!! WHAT A GENIUS MOZ!!! BLESSED

Fantastic comeback win, karelMoz!

For a mere mortal like me, clocking in shy of 40(?) Moz gigs, please please please tell me, anyone, what time they opened up the pit to all comers? I’m DD so if I can’t touch the rail, maybe I can score some fabric at least! But if I get there early enough, I might find my way to a higher place, if you know what I mean.

Anyone who was there last night please inform. Thank you.

On Saturday night they wouldn't even let people near the barrier once the videos started.

I'm glad you got something extra because what happened to you is a huge peeve of mine.
I had to get Julia removed from my seat once. I told her she needed to move and she kept telling me it was ok. I told security (Boston Orpheum) that she didn't have a seat there and they made her move.
Others would say that to have Julia removed from your ticketed seat is a life well-lived.

Back
Top Bottom