Potential Smiths cover-stars that never were

And for all his love of The Leather Boys, I'm surprised Morrissey never nicked a visual from it. But I guess it was saved for the Girlfriend video. I think it's more interesting in stills than as a movie.

He used Colin Campbell smoking a cigarette from the Leather Boys on the cover of the German release of Ask. It's always been a favorite of mine, but aren't they all!
Sorry I can't post a shot of it for you, but it is on the excellent Passionsjustlikemine.com
Be sure to check out the link for the back cover, it has a different picture!

Last edited:
Michael Caine in "Get Carter" (1971)

6favk9.jpg

Wilfred Brambell and and Harry H Corbett in Steptoe and Son.

16a8gf9.jpg

Last edited:
Girl-Afraid; Wilfred Brambell and and Harry H Corbett in Steptoe and Son. [/QUOTE said:
And who can forget the lovely Joanna Lumley? Dreams offer no escape from her beauty, talent, and panache.
Such a flattery for her, I imagine, to be turned away at the doors of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts so many years ago. A talentless group
of flat feet and dull voices executing young peoples' futures before they have even started. Is further proof needed for the age-old theory that, "if I didn't make it then neither shall you?" I believe not, but what do I really know. Thank god Bunty (and others) found a way around such institutional nonsense and have graced us over the years, not only with exceptional acting talent, but also with strong values and passions in civic-minded (and drama-minded) circles.

Excellent!
I have a strong visual memory and now that I look at it (on the invaluable Passions... site) I realize I had seen it a lonnng time ago, maybe once. But definitely had never checked out the back. What a great sleeve! The "Top Hit England" tag is so quaint.

What was the workflow when it came to sleeves in other countries? Did Moz approve colour changes or design additional sleeves, such as this one for Ask?

He used Colin Campbell smoking a cigarette from the Leather Boys on the cover of the German release of Ask. It's always been a favorite of mine, but aren't they all!
Sorry I can't post a shot of it for you, but it is on the excellent Passionsjustlikemine.com
Be sure to check out the link for the back cover, it has a different picture!

Harry Belafonte & Ed Begley Sr.,1959.jpg

Harry Belafonte & Ed Begley, Sr. in a still shot from "Odds Against Tomorrow" (1959).

124-3.jpg

Josephine Hull & Victoria Horne in a still shot from "Harvey" (1950).

Inger Stevens, 1960.jpg

Inger Stevens in a still shot from "The Twilight Zone" episode entitled "The Hitch-Hiker" (1960).

Last edited by a moderator:
Justin Playfair;1986794995 [ATTACH=CONFIG said:
16345[/ATTACH]

Inger Stevens in a still shot from the "The Twilight Zone" episode entitled "The Hitch-Hiker" (1960).

"But then you came along,
And you held out your hand,
And I fell in love with you and Scandinavia."
~M

Such a troubled existence she experienced. An outward ease so well hid the pain inside.
She did it well.
A single dimple on the left cheek smiled beauty, uniqueness, and definite self-esteem.
She did it well.
Tormented by an ugly childhood, love that imploded at every turn, the constant twisting of values courtesy of Hollywood superficiality...
Even in death...
She did it well.
xx

I don't know if I'm stating the obvious here but Black Box Recorder used the Adrian Street/miners image on their album "England Made Me" which, I have to admit, influenced me into buying the album at the time.
Nice thread.

Bought it too. The cover, though, is far better then the music. Luke Haines always has interesting concepts but never really delivers on them.

Rita Hayworth & Tyrone Power 2.jpg

Rita Hayworth & Tyrone Power. (Still shot from "Blood & Sand" (1941).

0000aaaajdrd.jpg

Too subtle I'd say.

I'm listening to a documentary on The Sweet, Andy Scott the guitarist is on. Now in my mind, and I don't know why, but I always got confused between him and the over-the-top glam wrestler Adrian Street, a bloke from a working-class mining family who broke all the rules, Anyway, I'm thinking to myself he would have made a brilliant Smiths cover-star, it sort of ticks all the Moz boxes. Any others that might have fit the bill?

d0tgxVt.jpg

P.

I'll try to contribute later, but what's the documentary on The Sweet? I love them. I heard about them when I was a kid because a kid at school was in an Air Force family and had lived in England. My introduction was Desolation Boulevard, a criminally underrated glam classic. Every song is great at what it does.

Back
Top Bottom