Rebels Without Applause released as a single track - initially on some region's YT, now to buy & stream (November 24, 2022)

UPDATE (Nov. 25):

This Charming Bowie posted the story from official_morrissey_central / Instagram:

Morrissey's Rebels Without Applause is available today worldwide (including Britain) on Spotify,
courtesy of Capitol Records. The track is produced by Andrew Watt. This is Morrissey's first 'single' release since 'It's Over', taken from the 'California Son' album in November 2019. 'It's Over' peaked at number 1 in the UK vinyl chart.

Also now on Morrissey Central. Link posted by Famous when dead.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a shame this to do with autotune and pitch correction in the post production mix. Makes it sound alien and synthetic. Sorry to be bitch bout it

After listening to this once I’m overcome with a sincere wish that the remainder of the album never be released.

Awful production, but the worst crime here is what Watt has done to Morrissey’s voice.

Unforgivable.

Having originally heard it through one of the early rips, I was slightly worried, but now hearing it through Apple Music and my headphones, the songs sounds so much better.

It’s a catchy, fun pop song! The warble has even grown on me!

It’s a shame this to do with autotune and pitch correction in the post production mix. Makes it sound alien and synthetic. Sorry to be bitch bout it
After listening to this once I’m overcome with a sincere wish that the remainder of the album never be released.

Awful production, but the worst crime here is what Watt has done to Morrissey’s voice.

Unforgivable.
Blame Alan Moulder, thats his mixing/sound design style. I'm actually shocked he's on this album, he's probably expensive as F.

Didn’t know there were such a large number of overly sensitive audiophiles among the Moz fan base. Stop your f***ing whingeing and enjoy the fact that Morrissey has officially released newly-written material. And a great melancholy pop song at that!
How did you describe me so well? :p

Stop your f***ing whingeing and enjoy the fact that Morrissey has officially released newly-written material. And a great melancholy pop song at that!
Really? As low as he went, he never quite went this low. The new song comes across like a hurried birth on the run. Is that appropriate and fitting? I'm supposed to be happy about this bloody, thrown down, badly produced thing called "New Single" now? He demands the biggest possible stage and comes in, unrecognised via the back entrance (No not literally but metaphorically).

The production sounds great to me on this one, albeit a little strange on the voice so I'll give you that. But the snippet of Veronica sounds gorgeous and has no weird vocal treatment so maybe save some worries for later? ;)
That's true about Veronica. I pray you're right!

Really? As low as he went, he never quite went this low. The new song comes across like a hurried birth on the run. Is that appropriate and fitting? I'm supposed to be happy about this bloody, thrown down, badly produced thing called "New Single" now? He demands the biggest possible stage and comes in, unrecognised via the back entrance (No not literally but metaphorically).
Stop talking out of your ass for one second and recognize the fact that this is his greatest single since You Have Killed Me.

Well, now you do. Perhaps we just don't like seeing a great voice being smothered by shitty effects, and this is the place we get to talk about it whether you like it or not.
Didn’t know there were such a large number of overly sensitive audiophiles among the Moz fan base. Stop your f***ing whingeing and enjoy the fact that Morrissey has officially released newly-written material. And a great melancholy pop song at that!

I’m also glad that someone somewhere came to their senses and stopped that awful Veronica song from becoming the new single.

Well, now you do. Perhaps we just don't like seeing a great voice being smothered by shitty effects, and this is the place we get to talk about it whether you like it or not.
For f***’s sake, you’re overreacting. It’s hardly auto tune ala Drake, is it? Get over it.

Calm down or you'll give yourself an aneurysm. That's merely your opinion. Music is subjective, but terrible production is universal.

Screenshot_20221125-094212.png

One of the people playing on it - listening to the same version everyone else is.
FWD.

Vocals are sounding sped up? Very strange vibratos and uber fast glissandos – should try slowing it down and seeing if it makes more sense

Nice that the artwork is so much nicer than what was proposed for the album!

EDIT –––> Slowed it down 5% and it does sound pretty good now​

Last edited:
I love the song , But Morrissey's voice was changed a little bit .. The production style is different from Joe Chiccarelli's ... I thought that it will be like the version which was recorded on 1 July by baby J .... by the way it's a good sign for the release of the new album .

[Thank god the internet didn't exist when The Smiths released "Bigmouth" back in the day - I can only imagine the bile that would have been directed towards those (rather silly) chipmunk backing vocals by "Ann Coates"]

Back
Top Bottom