Record Collector: Jim Reid (The Jesus And Mary Chain) on The Smiths debut album

Couple of bits from the latest Record Collector #556 (April, 2024):

The Smiths
(Rough Trade, 1984)

"William is a massive Smiths fan. I wasn't a fan then and I'm not a fan now. It used to drive me mad because I couldn't find anyone back then who didn't like The Smiths. I don't get them at all. They leave me completely cold."

markup_1000159543.png

Small bit on a record shop too:

markup_1000159524.png

FWD.

Luckily a lot of bands have integrity. The Ramones tried, in a half-ass way, admittedly, to get a hit with the album End of the Century in 1979 (produced by Phil Spector), but the record failed and after that they said f*** it and just kept doing what they felt like. They are universally loved, hugely influential and deeply respected among their peers. I’d say they made the right choice.
by saying they are universally loved would imply that everyone likes them,i dont.
they cant have that much integrity when they allowed blitzkreig bop to be used in an advert which ran for months in the uk.

by saying they are universally loved would imply that everyone likes them,i dont.
they cant have that much integrity when they allowed blitzkreig bop to be used in an advert which ran for months in the uk.
Like Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want, you mean?

I don’t think ‘universally’ means each and every living individual on earth.

None of the original members are alive today (the last one, Tommy, died ten years ago). Joey died in 2001, Dee Dee in 2002 and Johnny in, I think, 2004. Their music is owned by a publishing company. I’m sure they might have done a few things to make some extra cash while they were alive, I don’t know, but they hardly ever compromised artistically.

Nobody yet mentioned The Waterboys? They are up there definitely. And Lloyd Cole and the Commotions.

Also The Associates, early Simple Minds, Belle and Sebastian and, yes, JAMC.
I have not seen the Waterboys live yet. I must remedy that :)

I saw this clown and his “band” at Lalapalooza in the early 90s. It was like having shit shoveled in my ears. Irrelevant nobodies. The fact that they had a slot and Patti Smith was relegated to a tent was a crime at that show.

Nobody yet mentioned The Waterboys? They are up there definitely. And Lloyd Cole and the Commotions.

Also The Associates, early Simple Minds, Belle and Sebastian and, yes, JAMC.
The Waterboys usually get (mistakenly) pegged as an Irish group

The Waterboys usually get (mistakenly) pegged as an Irish group
Not really mistakenly, as they seem to fit under quite a few national categories. According to Wikipedia, "The Waterboys are a band formed in 1983 by Mike Scott. The band's membership, past and present, has been composed mainly of Scottish, Irish, English, Welsh and American musicians, with Edinburgh, London, Dublin, Spiddal, New York and Findhorn serving as a base for the group. They have explored a number of different styles, dissolved in 1993 when Scott departed to pursue a solo career and then reformed in 2000. They continue to release albums and tour worldwide. World Party was made up of former Waterboys members." 🏳️‍🌈

Not really mistakenly, as they seem to fit under quite a few national categories. According to Wikipedia, "The Waterboys are a band formed in 1983 by Mike Scott. The band's membership, past and present, has been composed mainly of Scottish, Irish, English, Welsh and American musicians, with Edinburgh, London, Dublin, Spiddal, New York and Findhorn serving as a base for the group. They have explored a number of different styles, dissolved in 1993 when Scott departed to pursue a solo career and then reformed in 2000. They continue to release albums and tour worldwide. World Party was made up of former Waterboys members." 🏳️‍🌈
I know they've had Irish members, but the Waterboys are really just Mike Scott and a revolving cast of other musicians. And Mike is Scottish.

Can't really talk about great Scottish bands and not include Teenage Fanclub.

Lloyd Cole was in fact English although the Commotions are Scottish.
I'd also include BMX Bandits and The Vaselines in any list and possibly Strawberry Switchblade.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom