Salford Lads Club donations

Weiß

SLC has done much to keep and protect the history of The Smiths. They're in the middle of a £1,000,000 campaign to secure the long term future of the building.

They have some great T-shirts (including a cool "From Baden Powell to Morrissey" design), and they take donations via check or paypal.

I'd like to encourage Smiths fans to make a donation or buy a shirt. Remember to let them know you're a Smiths Fan and that you appreciate their efforts. Then come back here and reply to this thread. You don't have to specify what/how much you bought or donated, and it doesn't have to be much--a couple bucks or pounds or whatever your local currency is (paypal converts automatically).

At the end of the week, I'll pick one of the posters randomly and send them a copy of the 1961 Saturday Evening Post magazine, which featured the now-famous picture of Shelagh Delaney from Louder Than Bombs. It's a totally cool completely authentic and original 45-year old relic from The Smiths.

Help save the history of our favorite band and their iconic location of locations, and win some genuine Smiths history for your collection!

http://www.salfordladsclub.org.uk/

hi W I already sent them a donation via paypal (though was slightly amazed that I had to pay postage & packaging on top), great thread though.
I also contacted Viv Nicholson & asked her to send a word of support 'from one Smiths icon to another', I've had word from whoever runs her site that they will make sure she gets the message.

love

Grim

As I only live 5 mins from the club I was lucky enough to get Leslie (the main man at SLC) to open up and show me around privately because I wanted to pick up a t shirt ad also a copy of a CD they have onsale which is a radio play about the club annual camp during the war. Amazing place and willing to donate whenever poss.
Trouble Loves Me

I'd like to buy a T-shirt but there are no women sizes available :( ...

hi W I already sent them a donation via paypal (though was slightly amazed that I had to pay postage & packaging on top), great thread though.
I also contacted Viv Nicholson & asked her to send a word of support 'from one Smiths icon to another', I've had word from whoever runs her site that they will make sure she gets the message.

love

Grim

Wish more guys actively and financially supported the club like you.

When you told me about the P&P error I contacted the club and they replied to thank you. I thought I had forwarded the mail from Leslie thanking you and adding that they had forwarded your complaint to the web designer, so it shouldn't charge P&P on donations anymore

As I only live 5 mins from the club I was lucky enough to get Leslie (the main man at SLC) to open up and show me around privately because I wanted to pick up a t shirt ad also a copy of a CD they have onsale which is a radio play about the club annual camp during the war. Amazing place and willing to donate whenever poss.
Trouble Loves Me

GC I got that cd last time I was there, very rare Craig Gannon track on it too.

love

Grim

If you look on the front page of the SLC site there's a link to www.icons.org.uk where a poll is running to find England's icons, be they buldings, landmarks, bands etc ... SLC is currently fourth in popularity. If people vote then it's future is bound to be secured ... I'd hope the government wouldn't want to allow something so culturally and historically important to close it's doors.
As for the donation, a cheque will be wending it's way there tomorrow.

This link will take you straight to the voting page for the lads' club:

http://www.icons.org.uk/nom/nominations/salford-lads-club?sortcriterion=popularity&order=reverse

Please give it the thumbs up and click yes (Often!).

This link will take you to the T-shirts:

http://www.salfordladsclub.org.uk/index.php/Section7.html

Anyone interested in getting together to form a group of similar minded Morrissey apostles, who will actively promote the SLC and raise money towards for their appeal to raise £1,000,000 and secure the long term future of our primary place of pilgrimage? Also, so the club can continue to provide activities for the young local lads and lassies of today. For this building to remain unchanged inside, out and in purpose of use is a cause worthwhile. If you feel the same, please mail me at [email protected]

C'mon, people. It would be a very sad world if Smiths fans let the SLC be torn down.

Whilst I admire your commitment, I'm not sure what you really want us to do here, I mean, the place needs a million quid not spare change for a cup of tea!
It's not like Smiths fans are standing around 'letting the building be torn down'.
The building is listed so it cant be torn down unless it literally falls down. The money will be raised, I'm sure, but not in one week! These Things Take Time.

Jukebox Jury

Last bump before the weekend.

Today's payday, right? The weekend, the clubs? Donate the cost of a drink. Sell a duplicate from your collection and donate the money to the SLC. Maybe donate a dollar or a pound for every Morrissey/Smiths concert bootleg you have. Think of it as the royalties you never had to pay :D

Great Idea the cst of a pint or two would be a great way to donate ..... I am trying to sort out a standing order for a reg payment to SLC
Have a grea weekend Guys
Trouble Loves me
Graham

This link will take you straight to the voting page for the lads' club:

http://www.icons.org.uk/nom/nominations/salford-lads-club?sortcriterion=popularity&order=reverse

Please give it the thumbs up and click yes (Often!).

This link will take you to the T-shirts:

http://www.salfordladsclub.org.uk/index.php/Section7.html

Anyone interested in getting together to form a group of similar minded Morrissey apostles, who will actively promote the SLC and raise money towards for their appeal to raise £1,000,000 and secure the long term future of our primary place of pilgrimage? Also, so the club can continue to provide activities for the young local lads and lassies of today. For this building to remain unchanged inside, out and in purpose of use is a cause worthwhile. If you feel the same, please mail me at [email protected]

I've some ideas on how we could raise money for this cause and have fun at the same time. Anyone else want to get together to form a plan to act on? PM or email me, no matter where in the world you live, or how little amount of spare time you have.

Last bump before the weekend.

Today's payday, right? The weekend, the clubs? Donate the cost of a drink. Sell a duplicate from your collection and donate the money to the SLC. Maybe donate a dollar or a pound for every Morrissey/Smiths concert bootleg you have. Think of it as the royalties you never had to pay :D

OK, you probably think I am being totally negative with my second post to you (but seeing as you didn't address anything I said in my first post....) and no I am not being negative as I have PM'd M23 for ideas.
Today is not pay day, I and a lot of people get paid monthly on different dates - but that is not my point. The place needs a £million and whilst every pound helps it is a very small drop in a very deep ocean.
It would be better to write to your MP (or if you are not in the UK, write to Tony Blair anyway!!) demanding that money is found to save the building. Write to Salford City Council's leader and also the English Heritage demanding the same. It is influence in these high levels that is needed, not Smiths / Morrissey fans donating the price of a pint or a bootleg CD. Not that I am knocking anyone doing such a thing.

Jukebox Jury

OK, you probably think I am being totally negative with my second post to you (but seeing as you didn't address anything I said in my first post....) and no I am not being negative as I have PM'd M23 for ideas.
Today is not pay day, I and a lot of people get paid monthly on different dates - but that is not my point. The place needs a £million and whilst every pound helps it is a very small drop in a very deep ocean.
It would be better to write to your MP (or if you are not in the UK, write to Tony Blair anyway!!) demanding that money is found to save the building. Write to Salford City Council's leader and also the English Heritage demanding the same. It is influence in these high levels that is needed, not Smiths / Morrissey fans donating the price of a pint or a bootleg CD. Not that I am knocking anyone doing such a thing.

Jukebox Jury

Lets pole all our ideas together. Jukebox is right. This will need more than a couple of us doing a coffee morning. Lets work as a team to reach this objective. None of us is as smart as all of us.

PM or email me if you are interested. You don't need to live in the UK or even have any ideas just yet ( or like me or anybody). Just a desire to keep the building the way it is.

[email protected]
Hugh

OK, you probably think I am being totally negative with my second post...The place needs a £million and whilst every pound helps it is a very small drop in a very deep ocean... Not that I am knocking anyone doing such a thing.

Jukebox Jury

Congratulations to Trouble Loves Me. I've PM'd you. If you'd like the magazine, it's yours. I genuinely appreciate your kindness and help!

JJ--I appreciate your thoughts on this matter. I applaud your concern and your efforts.

As for it being a drop in the bucket and questioning what one lone Smiths fan might do:

One Smiths fan might alert others that the SLC needs donations. Another might suggest purchasing SLC shirts or other merchandise as an option.

One might suggest donating as little as a £ for each concert boot you've enjoyed gratis, or maybe skip a pint on a Friday night and donate that instead.

Still another might offer a prize from their own collection as a way to encourage many more to follow suit.

And one Smiths fan might contact the overworked and understaffed SLC and encourage them to open a PayPal account so that they can take instant, trouble-free donations from around the globe, 24 hours a day--then inaugurate that account with a substantial donation.

In fact one lone terribly unimaginative Smiths fan has done that and more. Just imagine what 50 or 100 genuinely motivated Smiths fans could do!

But if you want to write some letters and make some demands with the goal of shifting already stretched tax resources from one area of need to another, well, have at it. One does what one can, eh?

Thanks everyone! :)

Cool to see Smiths fans helping to support the SLC. And the shirts are really cool. You get some very perplexed looks walking around in the midwest United States wearing a shirt that says "Salford Lads Club" :)

I bought the shirt that says There is a light that never goes out last yr. Yes I've had many people ask what is the SLC. After I explain it they are still confused.

Abigail, I hope you're out there.

Here is an email from Leslie at the club that I got today:

Thanks
Some good thoughts and ideas out there. Smiths fans already help a lot, by visiting the club and the smiths room, buying T shirts, making donations, voting on the Icons website, posting comments and generally helping to make more people aware of the club. Publicity about Salford Lads Club is down to word of mouth and through websites like SLC and Morrissey solo.

Any fundraising ideas like last week is great and it always sets off other avenues and ideas, so thanks.

Can you pass on our thanks to Abigail (A smiths Fan) from Sheffield. We recived a donation in the post this morning but no address to say thanks to.

Leslie

Back
Top Bottom