Rumor Scott Rodger (Maverick/Quest): Bonfire of Teenagers scheduled for Feb. 23, delayed by featured artist

BFFFE472-6D40-4091-ABB2-5E1A898902D8.jpeg
764E84D2-F0E7-415B-9FB3-DF3D68D90CC9.jpeg

Scott Rodger of Maverick/Quest management took to Twitter responding to claims about BOT’s cancellation. According to Rodger what’s going on behind the scenes is legal trouble with a featured artist (must be Miley?) who was supposed to go uncredited for legal reasons. Morrissey announced their feature on his blog, which led to a delay as they have to scrub the vocals from the album and replace them.

Rodger gives a release date of February 23rd 2023 and no indication that that is off.

“Morrissey’s album was due for release in Feb 23. It will come out but Morrissey himself put out a statement in his blog that the album “featured” another artist who didn’t want to be credited and thus the artist’s label blocked the release. Nothing to do with Capitol.”

“The artist who did backing vocals will be taken off and replaced. That takes time especially as you hit Christmas. When you say fight, sadly it doesn’t work that way. The other label, Columbia, legally blocked it. They’re within their rights to do so.”

Looking at who is 'talking' and where - I'd take a large pinch of salt with the sudden burst of "insider" information that none of the labels or artists potentially concerned have yet to confirm themselves.
I'd (yet again) stress the concept of dealing with/discussing information like this in the mode of a 'sociologist' (especially when then forming "definitive" views with said), but it appears to be something many struggle with.
FWD.

I get what you're saying, but Scott Rodger is a legitimate manager of artists at Maverick. He's not just a nobody, and will have far more information than most when it comes to this current saga.

This is the closest we have to any confirmation so far, more so than anything that Morrissey has posted, with his pseudocryptic messages and half-truths.

He probably wanted to say something because they're tired of Morrissey putting across only side of the story, acting like he's being persecuted. I could understand the frustration the label and his management have with them, when he's posting this stuff on a very public blog (which has been picked up by the music press). I'd say he needs to be more careful about what he's posting on there, particularly if anything could lead to litigation against Morrissey himself.

That's the same Scott that's so involved with artists that they've only offered re-tweets for the last year+ and has suddenly developed a voice describing the ins and outs of other companies. Not to mention how amazingly involved Maverick was as a whole - hands up all that remember all their social media posts expressing opinions on Morrissey's "difficulties" in the last yeah... Oh yeah, there weren't any.
My actual point still stands: taking scraps of information and weaving them in to stories that 'definitely' confirms your view isn't the most intellectually sophisticated way to interpret comments such as those highlighted in the OP (and a pervasive issue across many threads).
FWD.

That's the same Scott that's so involved with artists that they've only offered re-tweets for the last year+ and has suddenly developed a voice describing the ins and outs of other companies. Not to mention how amazingly involved Maverick was as a whole - hands up all that remember all their social media posts expressing opinions on Morrissey's "difficulties" in the last yeah... Oh yeah, there weren't any.
My actual point still stands: taking scraps of information and weaving them in to stories that 'definitely' confirms your view isn't the most intellectually sophisticated way to interpret comments such as those highlighted in the OP (and a pervasive issue across many threads).
FWD.

But the point still stands that Scott Rodger is a legitimate manager of artists, and has worked with big names over the years. This is the best information we have so far, and it's from a source who has worked in the industry for years. Plus, it does sort of corrobate some of what Morrissey himself has said.

Also, I'm not sure that anyone is saying it "definitely" confirms their "view". Like you, we're just weaving the story together and having some nice fun with all the gossip. It's a good laugh.

Whatever the accuracy of these comments - they explain a (brief) delay to BOT´s release but they don´t explain in any way the breakdown in the relationship between Moz and Capital and Maverick/Quest. There is clearly a lot more to that than some contractual issues about a backing vocal.

✂️ snip

Also, I'm not sure that anyone is saying it "definitely" confirms their "view". Like you, we're just weaving the story together and having some nice fun with all the gossip. It's a good laugh.
Speaking on behalf of others when you don't actually know their thoughts is more of the same.
There are hundreds of assumptions asserted as 'real' throughout recent threads - it is done specifically to lend weight to arguments, but the foundation is built on poor arguing skills and overly-literal fact processing. Those assumptions then get recalled at later points as 'how it happened' and people such as myself then have to wade through it all to present something close to factually accurate (that people then appreciate seeing as I'm constantly made aware).
Advocating a sociologist's approach simply means people don't leap to 'because it says x it must mean.. therefore...' - throwing in a few occasional 'it appears', 'tends to show', 'may mean' at least shows some type of more critical thought (or see above "There is clearly a lot more to" example).
FWD.

Speaking on behalf of others when you don't actually know their thoughts is more of the same.
There are hundreds of assumptions asserted as 'real' throughout recent threads - it is done specifically to lend weight to arguments, but the foundation is built on poor arguing skills and overly-literal fact processing. Those assumptions then get recalled at later points as 'how it happened' and people such as myself then have to wade through it all to present something close to factually accurate (that people then appreciate seeing as I'm constantly made aware).
Advocating a sociologist's approach simply means people don't leap to 'because it says x it must mean.. therefore...' - throwing in a few occasional 'it appears', 'tends to show', 'may mean' at least shows some type of more critical thought (or see above "There is clearly a lot more to" example).
FWD.

Look, I agree with what you're saying, I absolutely do, but I still think this could be some of the best information that we have gained so far, considering the provenance of the source.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see where all this leads, and I hope that Scott is right and BoT will actually be released on 23rd Feb.

Whatever the accuracy of these comments - they explain a (brief) delay to BOT´s release but they don´t explain in any way the breakdown in the relationship between Moz and Capital and Maverick/Quest. There is clearly a lot more to that than some contractual issues about a backing vocal.
My internal explanation for all this is Morrissey had a 3 way telephone call with capitol and maverick last night while slightly tipsy after 1 too many Gin & Tonics (if it matters the G&Ts had little flowers in the glass) and he didn't take kindly to Capitol and Maverick both saying they needed to remove Miley from the track because he broke the agreed contract

He said something like "Yoush can... can't talksh to me like sthat! I quit!" while sloshing gin all over his Amstrad Internet Telephone and hung up

The rep from Maverick and Capitol rolled their eyes and started their next call

Morrissey woke up this morning with a terrible headache but remembers nothing, turned to Fiona and said "Ohhh Fi, I had a terrible dream I was in the ring against Scott Rodgers and some ruffian called "Rat" was rubbing my shoulders and telling me "you can do it Mr M!"

Sorry FWD

My internal explanation for all this is Morrissey had a 3 way telephone call with capitol and maverick last night while slightly tipsy after 1 too many Gin & Tonics (if it matters the G&Ts had little flowers in the glass) and he didn't take kindly to Capitol and Maverick both saying they needed to remove Miley from the track because he broke the agreed contract

He said something like "Yoush can... can't talksh to me like sthat! I quit!" while sloshing gin all over his Amstrad Internet Telephone and hung up

The rep from Maverick and Capitol rolled their eyes and started their next call

Morrissey woke up this morning with a terrible headache but remembers nothing, turned to Fiona and said "Ohhh Fi, I had a terrible dream I was in the ring against Scott Rodgers and some ruffian called "Rat" was rubbing my shoulders and telling me "you can do it Mr M!"

Sorry FWD
That's some lovely head canon.

It would be great if the material was re-recorded with the current line-up and Joe Chiccarelli as producer (no chance of that, of course). Let's face it, neither Miley's backing vocals in Veronica nor Watt's massacre of the Rebels are unacceptable. I'm afraid of what the studio versions of the other songs might sound like, especially Saint Stained in Glass Window, which I loved in the live version

It would be great if the material was re-recorded with the current line-up and Joe Chiccarelli as producer (no chance of that, of course). Let's face it, neither Miley's backing vocals in Veronica nor Watt's massacre of the Rebels are unacceptable. I'm afraid of what the studio versions of the other songs might sound like, especially Saint Stained in Glass Window, which I loved in the live version

Get Tony Visconti back in I say. Not a fan of Joe's production. Snare drums in particular just sound dead flat to me.

Where does it say it’s coming out in Feb - I thought it was delayed beyond Feb

So, one of the guest artists didn’t want to
be credited (for reasons we don’t know) and thus the artist’s label ( Columbia)blocked the release of BoT or at least that song on BoT. Seems to be an obvious reason for its delay.

But there’s got to be more to the story for M to state that he’s voluntarily left both Capitol and Quest. I hope he’s all right, and that his latest Central statement is a positive one, in the long run.
He’s got the blue flu

But she's posed in photos with him and has made no secret of her fandom of Morrissey. I don't get it.

yep. It is strange, from the tweet it sounds as if it’s her decision not to be credited and so Columbia stepped in to make sure that happened. Maybe it’s not true, and it’s actually Columbia who thought it would be bad publicity for Cyrus.

edit: see below.

Last edited:
No, Columbia’s owns her and she knows she did something out of contract terms. They simply want her to be exclusive or they want their piece. Her management needs to be the ones worried about who she affiliates with.

yeah, this may be the case.

He’s got the blue flu

he did once jokingly refer to her as a virus, so yes you could say he’s come down with a case of Mileycyrus. But posting about it on Central didn’t seem to help the symptoms.

Get Tony Visconti back in I say. Not a fan of Joe's production. Snare drums in particular just sound dead flat to me.

But you’re okay with an Italian children’s choir chirping away on three tracks?

If we’re wishing for a previous producer he might return to, my choice would be Steve Lillywhite. Imagine how great Rebels would sound given that halcyon Sunny or Boxers treatment, no obnoxious bells & whistles, just a stroll on a beautiful crisp autumn 90s day.

But you’re okay with an Italian children’s choir chirping away on three tracks?

If we’re wishing for a previous producer he might return to, my choice would be Steve Lillywhite. Imagine how great Rebels would sound given that halcyon Sunny or Boxers treatment, no obnoxious bells & whistles, just a stroll on a beautiful crisp autumn 90s day.

I think they had a bit of a falling out by Maladjusted, pretty sure Lillywhite wasn’t even his choice of producer by that album, or even Southpaw, seems he stuck with Lillywhite, because he couldn’t get someone else and because he was familiar, comfortable with him.

Though, Vauxhall for me is the best Morrissey album production, yet to be beat. Followed by Ronson’s Your Arsenal.

I’m not really a fan of modern drum sounds, to me drums should be felt not so heard, is best I can explain it.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom