Songs to sing while depressed

"Rum and coca cola" by the Andrews Sisters always works a treat for me! lol

Seriously though (although there was rather embarrassingly a hint of truth in that), "Now my heart is full" is always my first choice when I have the blues

In the future when all's well.
Rubber Ring

"Angel, Angel Down We Go Together". That one has helped me.

"Angel, dont take your life
Some people have got no pride
They do not understand
The urgency of life
But I love you more than life
I love you more than life
I love you more than life
I love you more than life"

And as Girl-with-the-thorn said, "Sister I'm a Poet" is such a great upbeat song that it never fails to raise my spirits!

if I want to feel better one band that comes to mind is dinosaur jr, and the song Out There. I love the raw guitars and the energy. I can't really feel bad while that's playing.

Agent Orange is great, too.

totally different thing. Pete Townshend's "Chinese Eyes" record is great for when you're feeling... contemplative.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't ever recall wanting to sing during my three bouts of depression which required (non self) medication?

"Hello Doctor. I'm having one of my down periods again. A one, two, three, four...." :lbf:

Thank you for your hugs and nice wishes and your proposals ;-)

Keep them coming, please!

Searching for Sophie Tucker, I found this
[youtube]rZ5_SyvxDXE&feature=related[/youtube]
from the lyrics

Where did she get that that stuff,
Now she just can't get enough
It might have been the man who wasn't bad
Not Jack, that guy's a square.

She never ever wants to go to sleep.
She said that everthing is reet.
Now Mr. Murphy don't know what its all about
So she went and threw the old man out. Clout.

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~

A video I like is from the late Pina Bausch's ballet/dance theatre piece Carnations/Nelken:
A dancer (Lutz Förster) is gesturing 'The Man I Love' (sung by Sophie Tucker) for his beloved who is hearing impaired.

learning to gesture it [youtube]LA65HrIMrjs&feature=related[/youtube]

performing on stage

I don't ever recall wanting to sing during my three bouts of depression which required (non self) medication?

"Hello Doctor. I'm having one of my down periods again. A one, two, three, four...." :lbf:

Erm, no. Contrary to what you might expect, I'm actually not touring Vegas and looking for tips for the setlist, Brel

This is about counterattacking/ coping with recurring pop-up-window-esque thoughts of 'I want to top myself' every effing 2 minutes that I sit in the bus/ walk down the road etc. I'm not exaggerating.

'Singing' more as in 'having a tune in my head', lyrics that speak to my condition or at least a voice or melody that carries me through the next wave of recurring thought crap.

If I'm absolutely sure no one will hear me while I walk, I do sing because the sound of the own voice works soothing.

Last edited:
Well as Sophie said: I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Erm, no. Contrary to what you might expect, I'm actually not touring Vegas and looking for tips for the setlist, Brel

This is about counterattacking/ coping with recurring pop-up-window-esque thoughts of 'I want to top myself' every effing 2 minutes that I sit in the bus/ walk down the road etc. I'm not exaggerating.

'Singing' more as in 'having a tune in my head', lyrics that speak to my condition or at least a voice or melody that carries me through the next wave of recurring thought crap.

If I'm absolutely sure no one will hear me while I walk, I do sing because the sound of the own voice works soothing.

I know, I was having a little laugh ;)

When I walk along, or stand waiting for a tram and listen to music, I often lose myself in the song. Then something snaps me back and I have to reassure myslef that I haven't spent the last 3 minutes in full song!

Back to your original post - I find that both Ska and 60's Soul give me a lift. Or I watch some old Tony Hancock.

Last edited:
Tags
depressed depression get over it hum sing uplifting
Back
Top Bottom