South Bank Show

C.J.M

I'm a little out of the loop. I've just read this interview with Echo and the Bunnymen's Ian McCulloch.
http://thequietus.com/articles/0287...-mcculloch-on-sex-drugs-and-the-perfect-steak

What about the South Bank Show closing its doors then?

Mac: Don’t give a damn. I hate that Melvyn Bragg! What a divvy. He’s just one of those Northern imbeciles, isn’t he? Did you see that South Bank Show about Morrissey? It was just rubbish. And when he referred to The Velvet Underground as the Velvets. f*** off, they’re called the Velvet Underground not the Velvets, how dare he! And besides, they never had the Bunnymen on the South Bank Show.

I thought the South Bank show that was being made about Morrissey which involved filming of some of his gigs in the US never made it to tv? Or is this an older south bank show programme Ian is talking about?:confused:

Ta

It'll be the one about the The Smiths when they broke up, he's just annoyed cos they've never asked him.
Says it all.
"I don't think Morrissey is a great singer. I met him when the Smiths first started out. A magazine suggested he interview another singer, and I don't know why, he chose me. I accepted on two conditions. One it be held in Liverpool and two it be held where I could have a drink. We met in a pub at lunchtime. I took great delight in ordering beef and holding it under his nose as he had told me he was a vegetarian" (laughs)...

Ha not to rake up the past but i don't forget.

Last edited:
Oh I see, I've never seen that, I just thought I'd completley missed a newer south bank episode about Morrissey

On a sidenote the new echo and the bunnymen single is cracking!:guitar:

In December 2006 South Bank Show crew was filming G-Mex gigs for a follow up of 1987 Smiths edition.
Unfortunately for some reason they abandoned the project.

It'll be the one about the The Smiths when they broke up, he's just annoyed cos they've never asked him.
Says it all.
"I don't think Morrissey is a great singer. I met him when the Smiths first started out. A magazine suggested he interview another singer, and I don't know why, he chose me. I accepted on two conditions. One it be held in Liverpool and two it be held where I could have a drink. We met in a pub at lunchtime. I took great delight in ordering beef and holding it under his nose as he had told me he was a vegetarian" (laughs)...

Ha not to rake up the past but i don't forget.

Perhaps that's why 'Mac' now looks like a fat old unshaven Scouse wino (see this weeks 'Later' BBC tv broadcast), whilst Morrissey looks like....Morrissey!
Even Andy Williams looked younger than Ian, and he's 109.

...I stil have a copy of the Magazine with them interviewing each other ( It wasn't a pub....It was the Adelphi Hotel, in Liverpool....VERY POSH at the time....).
They seemed to get on well....No hostility at all, as far as I can read....
( Sorry, I haven't a CLUE how to "Post" it on here......
There is also a similar article in another mag with Morrissey and Pete Burns, from around the same era....).
Any help with "Tips" on how to get pics/scans up is appreciated...

PS, The Bunnymen died along with Pete De Freitas, in my opinion......sometimes dead is better......I wouldn't cross the road to see them Live nowadays....But, as someone once ( almost) said...."They were good in their time"...
( Heaven Up here is STILL a Beaut of an album.....)

Back
Top Bottom