Star & Garter Friday 1st August

Other conversation of the night;

JJ - You know that Jimmy Grimble film? The Star and Garter is in that and there's this fella walks into a room full of Blues wearing a United shirt and nobody does anything or kicks off when he threatens a bloke for £50
Me - It's a Liverpool shirt
JJ - Was it? Really? Oh well it should have been a United shirt
Me - Maybe that's in the Directors Cut
JJ - And what about the bit where he walks out of Maine Road and throws his boots in the Canal at Castlefield and then walks back into Maine Road when people like me know that Maine Road isn't even near Castlefield
Me - It's not real. It's just a film about a City fan. It's a good advert for City
JJ - Yeah but if they didn't say that Castlefield was near Maine Road then blokes like me wouldn't have anything to complain about and besides, the Star and Garter got paid for them to film so you've sold out because this fella in a United shirt walks into the room downstairs which is full of Blues and nobody says anything so you should have said something
Me - It was a Liverpool shirt. So you don't like There's Only One Jimmy Grimble then?
JJ - What? No, it's a great film - I love it.

I wonder how early in the evening this conversation took place...

JJ - You know that Jimmy Grimble film? The Star and Garter is in that and there's this fella walks into a room full of Blues wearing a United shirt and nobody does anything or kicks off when he threatens a bloke for £50
JJ - And what about the bit where he walks out of Maine Road and throws his boots in the Canal at Castlefield and then walks back into Maine Road when people like me know that Maine Road isn't even near Castlefield
Me - It's not real. It's just a film about a City fan. It's a good advert for City
JJ - Yeah but if they didn't say that Castlefield was near Maine Road then blokes like me wouldn't have anything to complain about and besides, the Star and Garter got paid for them to film so you've sold out because this fella in a United shirt walks into the room downstairs which is full of Blues and nobody says anything so you should have said something
Me - It was a Liverpool shirt. So you don't like There's Only One Jimmy Grimble then?

It would have been more amusing though, the bloke only has 1 line but it's clearly a scouse accent.
I wonder if there's ever been a scouse rag fan?

I also remember when I sat next to JJ on the bus back from Marley Park gig to Dublin & he told me the same story about 6 times! I was finishing it off for him by the end & he was in total agreement with me! :D

love

Grim

is the star and garter night on every month ? , if so it might be nice to bring down some scottish friends in september ? anyone up for it ???? GRIMBO?

actually how about making it October fest?

3 October SnG then...
City are playing at home on the Saturday, so I could kill plenty of birds with just the 1 stone if we postponed the invasion until then?

love

Grim

*****************EDIT********************EDIT***********************EDIT******************

Friday
5 September

9pm - 2.30am
£4
£5 after midnight
No admittance after 12.30am
GET IN EARLY

Yeah let's get kilted up & invade the buggers below Hade's Wall! I've not been in a while, so might as well purrin an appearance eh?

So that's at least 2 of us, who else is up for it? Maybe we should do a new thread for it? Do you wanna put out a Scots call for it?

love

Grim

Last edited:

3 October SnG then...
City are playing at home on the Saturday, so I could kill plenty of birds with just the 1 stone if we postponed the invasion until then?

love

Grim

*****************EDIT********************EDIT***********************EDIT******************

Friday
5 September

9pm - 2.30am
£4
£5 after midnight
GET IN EARLY

Yeah let's get kilted up & invade the buggers below Hade's Wall! I've not been in a while, so might as well purrin an appearance eh?

So that's at least 2 of us, who else is up for it? Maybe we should do a new thread for it? Do you wanna put out a Scots call for it?

love

Grim

yeah are you up for it then october would be good for me too , now to break it to jen , aye do a call

.... but Jimmy Grimble is real...... grim was in it, innit!

*goes off to check the replica shirt of the bloke*

In the mean time, let me show you all this clip. Grim made me a copy of the film...... knock of Nigel or what?:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ScqoyjYwnI&feature=related

Jukebox Jury

It would have been more amusing though, the bloke only has 1 line but it's clearly a scouse accent.
I wonder if there's ever been a scouse rag fan?

I also remember when I sat next to JJ on the bus back from Marley Park gig to Dublin & he told me the same story about 6 times! I was finishing it off for him by the end & he was in total agreement with me! :D

love

Grim

You have only written that because you know I will have absolutely no recollection of the said bus journey / conversation:o

Jukebox Jury

.... but Jimmy Grimble is real...... grim was in it, innit!

*goes off to check the replica shirt of the bloke*

In the mean time, let me show you all this clip. Grim made me a copy of the film...... knock of Nigel or what?:D

Jukebox Jury

Hola JJ
My casa is your casa etc, por favor your casa October roomio for the nightio or two-io eh, muchas gracias? & can You-o sortio me-oo a ticket-o for the matchio v liverpoolio eh-o, el stoodente cheap-io skate-io? :guitar:

amor

Grim-io

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola JJ
My casa is your casa etc, por favor your casa October roomio for the nightio or two-io eh, muchas gracias? & can You-o sortio me-oo a ticket-o for the matchio v liverpoolio eh-o, el stoodente cheap-io skate-io? :guitar:

amor

Grim-io

Can you youtube the S&G bit of the film;)

Jukebox Jury

Can you youtube the S&G bit of the film;)

Jukebox Jury

The things I do for you (bending over backwards)! ;)

I've filmed the piece in Q on my mob, so it's a tad shit but here you go!!!

love

Grim
P.s. As part of the original cast I've got authority ok! :o

The things I do for you (bending over backwards)! ;)

I've filmed the piece in Q on my mob, so it's a tad shit but here you go!!!

love

Grim
P.s. As part of the original cast I've got authority ok! :o

That's another thing about the film I don't get (like Castlefield being 30 seconds from Maine Road:confused:) - the S&G is a few miles from Maine Road, so why did they not use The Beehive? The Parkside? The Sherwood?

I reckon someone should do a book called 'Jimmy Grimble's Manchester' and run theme tours on coaches to all the places whilst Grim sits at the front reeling off his story of being an extra in the film'.

....now there's an idea.......;)

Jukebox Jury

"the S&G is a few miles from Maine Road, so why did they not use The Beehive? The Parkside? The Sherwood?"

Because they open during the day and we don't.
Canal/Film Four etc would have had to negotiate with a brewery and with us they didn't.
We have a car park to stick generators and catering on.
We have a walk-around bar which is easy to film across.
Because we won't refit the bar with chrome and other hallmarks of shite it makes any set designers job a bit easier (see "Dead Clever" for an example).
The approach to the Star and Garter is devoid of any houses or shops so it's cheaper to close the road for a few minutes and eliminate any risk of people curtain twitching and spoiling that Oscar-winning shot.
We have an excellent CV of occasions where we've been a location - where the Smiths Night is concerned some of you may remember the Canadian TV crew filming cut-aways for a news feature during the Commonwealth Games in 2002.
There's Ony One Jimmy Grimble is a piece of fiction, not a documentary about places in Manchester where pedants reside.

S&G
Will you stop saying I am fiction and not real:mad:

I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does.....:cool::guitar:

XX

S&G
Will you stop saying I am fiction and not real:mad:

I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does.....:cool::guitar:

XX

I didn't actually say Jimmy Grimble was a piece of fiction, I said the film was (read the post again). Still, that still rates as the funniest post ever and the quote from a Smiths song is clearly the work of a non-fictional genius. A career on the stage beckons or maybe a job as a tour guide around "Morrissey's Manchester (Now Including The Bit Where The Pedants Live)"

Last edited:
I didn't actually say Jimmy Grimble was a piece of fiction, I said the film was (read the post again). Still, that still rates as the funniest post ever and the quote from a Smiths song is clearly the work of a non-fictional genius. A career on the stage beckons or maybe a job as a tour guide around "Morrissey's Manchester (Now Including The Bit Where The Pedants Live)"

S&G why is it that everybody else is having a laugh at this thread and you have to be so miserable and pedantic? Not a good advert for the S&G, I certainly won't be coming again.

3 October SnG then...

love

Grim

Friday
5 September

9pm - 2.30am
£4
£5 after midnight
GET IN EARLY

love

Grim

Grim, if you are coming, then i will so be there with bells on just so i get to meet you in the flesh.....;)

S&G why is it that everybody else is having a laugh at this thread and you have to be so miserable and pedantic? Not a good advert for the S&G, I certainly won't be coming again.

I think you will find S&G is indeed laughing along with us on this thread:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom