That email re: 'Youngest' a "gift"

Fruits N Nuts

I Am A Ghost
"the Youngest" is a dream of a gift for any label"

Morrissey is deluded if he thinks 'the youngest' is a dream of a gift for any label. The song is mediocre at best. Who can identify with this song? No one except perhaps Jeffery Dohmer, but he's dead. It's a catchy enough tune, but the lyrics? Please. It's only saving grace is the line "there is no such thing in life as normal". Other than that, rubbish.

Fruits N Nuts said:
"the Youngest" is a dream of a gift for any label"

Morrissey is deluded if he thinks 'the youngest' is a dream of a gift for any label. The song is mediocre at best. Who can identify with this song? No one except perhaps Jeffery Dohmer, but he's dead. It's a catchy enough tune, but the lyrics? Please. It's only saving grace is the line "there is no such thing in life as normal". Other than that, rubbish.

I identify with it. You don't have to be a "killer" to understand it. That's just artistic exaggeration. Don't be so literal.

Anyway, do you have to identify with every piece of artwork you enjoy? I don't identify with Goodfellas but I love it as a film.

Jones said:
do you have to identify with every piece of artwork you enjoy? I don't identify with Goodfellas but I love it as a film.

Not so sure I'd call this song a piece of "artwork". 'Seasick Yet Still Docked' perhaps, but definitely not this tune.

Of course it's bloody art. It's a creative expression, and thus is art. Whether you like it or not doesn't make any difference to whether it is or isn't 'art'.

If you don't identify with it, then that's your problem, so to speak.

And, like First of the Gang, it is a gift to any label. Not only are the label bound to get copies bought by idiots like us, but the song is, in my and most other opinion, a good, catchy pop single which should be able to atrack people who are not usually in the market for a Morrissey record. The fact that Sancuary just released the record and then pretty much hoped it would sell itself was somewhat foolish. When First of the Gang was released (used as an example as it was the second single of Quarry) I would've known about it even if I wasn't a Moz fan. With Youngest I would have had no idea the song existed if not for being a fan. Sancuary could've done a lot better with it, in my opinion.

And, like First of the Gang, it is a gift to any label. Not only are the label bound to get copies bought by idiots like us, but the song is, in my and most other opinion, a good, catchy pop single which should be able to atrack people who are not usually in the market for a Morrissey record. The fact that Sancuary just released the record and then pretty much hoped it would sell itself was somewhat foolish. When First of the Gang was released (used as an example as it was the second single of Quarry) I would've known about it even if I wasn't a Moz fan. With Youngest I would have had no idea the song existed if not for being a fan. Sancuary could've done a lot better with it, in my opinion.

Well said.
The Youngest was the most Loved is an outstandingly brilliant song and was criminally neglected and left to fend for itself.

It's a great song with great lyrics. It speaks volumes to me. I think people are taking it a bit literally if they think it is about a young boy who grows into a "killer". As with most Moz song, the lyric can be taken many many ways. It could be about Morrissey himself or anybody for that matter. I would also say it is his catchiest single since "First of the Gang..." - but people on this board are so fickle. Its perceived failure (of reaching no. 14) has turned people against it. The idea that every Moz single can break the top ten only occured with the You Are The Quarry singles. It has never happened before - and it may never happen again. Morrissey is still very much an outsider in this current musical climate and "The Youngest..." is another beautiful example of that. Does anybody seriously think of the 13 songs above it in the chart were any better? Or any other single in the chart was any better? So. a great Moz song which, like many of his singles before, deserved a better chart position - but ultimately it is artistic quality that counts. I don't honestly understand how a Morrissey fan couldn't like it.

- but people on this board are so fickle. Its perceived failure (of reaching no. 14) has turned people against it. The idea that every Moz single can break the top ten only occured with the You Are The Quarry singles. It has never happened before - and it may never happen again. Morrissey is still very much an outsider in this current musical climate and "The Youngest..." is another beautiful example of that. Does anybody seriously think of the 13 songs above it in the chart were any better? Or any other single in the chart was any better? So. a great Moz song which, like many of his singles before, deserved a better chart position - but ultimately it is artistic quality that counts. I don't honestly understand how a Morrissey fan couldn't like it.

My sentiments exactly. Well said!!! I completely agree re: chart placings.
For those of you who don't know Moz's second single from his LPs (with the exception of Viva Hate and Quarry, Your Arsenal's second single was released a week or two prior to the LP) have all been markedly disappointing in chart positions. #44 Hold Onto Your Frineds, Sing Your Life #33, Certain People I Know #33.
Though I do like Monster by The Automatic!

And with the demise of TOTP who bothers with the charts anyway? I doubt any kids nowadays are taping the top 40 off Radio 1 on A Sunday and editing it really badly.

I agree with Orson Swells about the charts placements. I personally don't give a damn about music charts or box office weekends in the cinema world.....we all know that mediocre shit that appeals to the masses [lowest common denominator] always places on top. I do like it when things go well for Moz cause he deserves it, but chart placement of a song isn't going to affect the way I feel about it.

As for this song in particular......I do identify with it because as I understand it, it's mostly about an outcast who becomes a killer......now, I'm not a killer but I do have homocidal tendensies in me and so, I identify. The song's pretty catchy too, with a good chorus!

Bluebirds said:
- but people on this board are so fickle. Its perceived failure (of reaching no. 14) has turned people against it. The idea that every Moz single can break the top ten only occured with the You Are The Quarry singles. It has never happened before - and it may never happen again. Morrissey is still very much an outsider in this current musical climate and "The Youngest..." is another beautiful example of that. Does anybody seriously think of the 13 songs above it in the chart were any better? Or any other single in the chart was any better? So. a great Moz song which, like many of his singles before, deserved a better chart position - but ultimately it is artistic quality that counts. I don't honestly understand how a Morrissey fan couldn't like it.

My sentiments exactly. Well said!!! I completely agree re: chart placings.
For those of you who don't know Moz's second single from his LPs (with the exception of Viva Hate and Quarry, Your Arsenal's second single was released a week or two prior to the LP) have all been markedly disappointing in chart positions. #44 Hold Onto Your Frineds, Sing Your Life #33, Certain People I Know #33.
Though I do like Monster by The Automatic!

And with the demise of TOTP who bothers with the charts anyway? I doubt any kids nowadays are taping the top 40 off Radio 1 on A Sunday and editing it really badly.

But in times when the older singles were released, you actually had to shift a few to get a decent placing.

Now you can sell 5.5 copies and get to number 3. The point of chart placings now in a chart that no longer matters is the marketing ability as in 'Hit album with the 3 no. 1 singles' etc which helps you get awards which in turn sells this album and the next one.

That's why Moz is bothered that Sanctuary aren't bothered in taking one of his stronger songs in the last 10 years and just giving it the little shove it needed to hit number one. If they had, it's another marketing angle to live off for a while.

Having said this, we've been here before with Rough Trade have we not?

That's Enough For Me said:
But in times when the older singles were released, you actually had to shift a few to get a decent placing.

Now you can sell 5.5 copies and get to number 3. The point of chart placings now in a chart that no longer matters is the marketing ability as in 'Hit album with the 3 no. 1 singles' etc which helps you get awards which in turn sells this album and the next one.

That's why Moz is bothered that Sanctuary aren't bothered in taking one of his stronger songs in the last 10 years and just giving it the little shove it needed to hit number one. If they had, it's another marketing angle to live off for a while.

Having said this, we've been here before with Rough Trade have we not?

Ah right I see the point now!
So you can stick stickers up and have TV adverts with 4 top 10 hits etc? Cheers for the info.
I thought it was slightly strange that Moz was miffed as the charts and single sales are usually rubbish nowadays

As an aside I didn't buy the Youngest single as I was out of the country! So next time Morrissey please ensure I'm here as I wil go into the record shop and purchase it. cos I'm sad.

Also maybe some folks thought ah foook it I'll wait till the deluxe version comes out with all the B-sides on as per Quarry. Cynical marketing means you reap what you sow!

Bluebirds said:
As an aside I didn't buy the Youngest single as I was out of the country! So next time Morrissey please ensure I'm here as I wil go into the record shop and purchase it. cos I'm sad.

Also maybe some folks thought ah foook it I'll wait till the deluxe version comes out with all the B-sides on as per Quarry. Cynical marketing means you reap what you sow!

Firstly, you could have ordered it on the internet and the sale would have counted. So no excuses for being in another country.;)

A deluxe edition of Ringleader is an assumption not a definate.

Bluebirds said:
Also maybe some folks thought ah foook it I'll wait till the deluxe version comes out with all the B-sides on as per Quarry.

Guilty as charged, your honour. :( I just don't buy singles anymore.

mspendl828 said:
I think that means you're officially a 'grown up'! :eek:

Hooray, I knew there had to be a valid reason!

Of course, if Moz doesn't release a B-side deluxe version, then I'm royally knackered. Oh, how I hate suspense.

That's Enough For Me said:
That's why Moz is bothered that Sanctuary aren't bothered in taking one of his stronger songs in the last 10 years and just giving it the little shove it needed to hit number one.

I'd hardly describe 'The Youngest Was the Most Loved' as one of his stronger songs in the last 10 years! Much as I love ROTT as an album, it doesn't have much in the way of commercial singles lurking within, it's pretty much the opposite of You Are The Quarry in that respect. The idea that Sanctuary can somehow buy their way to the number 1 spot through marketing is pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

Moz had just finished an extensive UK tour where flyers for the single were handed out at gigs and the B-Sides were performed live as a trailer - he's also managed to geta fair amount of recent TV exposure playing the song on Later with Jools Holland etc. The main stumbling block this time round seems to have been the lack of any radio airplay, and given the uncommercial nature of the single (compared to 'First of the Gang to Die' for example) I'm not suprised no stations added it to their playlists. It simply isn't good enough.

Any new listeners who were going to get into Morrissey would have already done so by now - if not through 'You are the Quarry' then through 'You Have Killed Me' and ROTT. A second single from a released album is not going to out-chart the lead off single - a song like 'The Youngest Was the Most Loved' is never going to pick up new listeners, the only people who are going to buy it are us fans, so the chart placing is pretty damn good considering.

Unless Moz can come up with some staggeringly strong singles in the future I do get the feeling that as the novelty value of his return wears off these automatic Top 10 single placing will soon become a thing of the past - just as they did after the first couple of years as a solo artist in the late '80's.

Last edited:
sid james said:
I'd hardly describe 'The Youngest Was the Most Loved' as one of his stronger songs in the last 10 years! Much as I love ROTT as an album, it doesn't have much in the way of commercial singles lurking within, it's pretty much the opposite of You Are The Quarry in that respect. QUOTE]

I would. I'd rate it higher than Alma Matters, Roy's Keen, Satan, Irish Blood..., Jesus, and Let Me Kiss You in the singles stakes.

sid james said:
Unless Moz can come up with some staggeringly strong singles in the future I do get the feeling that as the novelty value of his return wears off these automatic Top 10 single placing will soon become a thing of the past - just as they did after the first couple of years as a solo artist in the late '80's.

Who releases better singles tha Morrissey? What does it matter where they chart? I remember "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" didn't even get into the top forty. It's still a great song.

The other thing that Morrissey did not do was any tv interviews. With YATQ he was interviewed on Ross and Holland but not this year. Not sure if it makes a difference or not but maybe an interview would have intrigued more people and prompted them to buy.

He did an interview for that Channel 4 special (or was it ITV?) this time didn't he?

Regardless, short of Sanctuary going out and buying boxloads of 'The Youngest' from the shops themselves, I don't see how this ever had a hope in hell of getting to number 1 in the sHit Parade. The second single from the album always does worse than the first - it's inevitable.

i agree on the quarry comparison, i think ringleader is a better album but irish blood and 1st of the gang were far better singles than any of the ringleader releases both the 2 that have been and gone and those still to come.

theoretically, the catchy guitar on in the future should allow it to do better than the youngest but because of the poor performance of the youngest and the usual lack of airplay, i doubt it'll make much difference.

despite moz's fixation with them, it's his loyal fanbase that will always define him, not what the polls say.

Back
Top Bottom