The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 72: I HAVE FORGIVEN JESUS

How do you rate I Have Forgiven Jesus?

• Total voters
I gave it a 8. I really like it but don't love it. Even thought when I heard this and Irish Blood... I liked them right from the start.

Like Nugz, can completely relate due to religious background.
The song is absolute honest perfection, lyrically, at the end.

Brilliant. One of the first songs of his I heard that made me sit down and listen closer, his voice is just beautiful on it too.

I gave it a 6.

The piano sounds like a cheap synthetic pre-set, which is unforgivable. It could have been so much grander with a 'Plea to guilty' production treatment.

Other than the joyous days of the week stanza the lyrics are below par and a touch immature to my jaded ears, the 'do you hate me' coda is redolent of a Lower School Nativity play and it represents the watershed in his preoccupation with all things God-related, which I think is the least inspiring theme that runs through the Mozzer canon.

Musically it's always reminded me of 'Little by Little' by Oasis. Which isn't intended as a compliment.

Blimey, I do wonder how some people can enjoy any music at all. Talk about squeezing the fun out of it.

Mr Playboy, it's all about opinions.

I feel it would make for a pretty fetid listening experience to blithely adore everything he touches.

Obviously some disagree....

Mr Playboy, it's all about opinions.

I feel it would make for a pretty fetid listening experience to blithely adore everything he touches.

Obviously some disagree....

I suppose I'm just old-fashioned (or simple, some might say). I think if I started dissecting songs too much then I'd end up not liking anything. Hell, after reading your critique, I felt like changing my rating from a '9' to a '2'!

A 9.
The vocals are some of Morrissey's best.
The lyrics are brilliant.
Not too inlove with the music, but who cares.

A 10.Like most of Quarry, it is superb :)

I suppose I'm just old-fashioned (or simple, some might say). I think if I started dissecting songs too much then I'd end up not liking anything. Hell, after reading your critique, I felt like changing my rating from a '9' to a '2'!
You are so fickle? :eek: Ts, ts, ts...

This is one of my favourites and he looks divine in the vid, i go weak at the knees when i watch it on my ipod.....*sigh*

A big 10! I love this song so much. The lyrics, the music, and THAT VOICE...This is one of the few songs that have made me cry. Absolutely brilliant!

Love it, love it, love it. 9/10!​

make up your mind: this is perfection.

Having already voted, I looked again at the results: 3 people have given this song a "1". WTF?

HIM, you are insane :eek:

Probably my favourite Christmas song (only because it was released then)
A 9 methinks

It's got a nice melody and some nice lyrical moments (especially the "Monday - humiliation..." section and the "self-deprecating bones and skin" line), but I have a couple of problems with this song:

1) It mentions Jesus - one of my least favorite fictional characters. Please leave the religious characters alone and get back to singing about Billy Budd or Jack the Ripper!

2) The lines "I wouldn't do you no harm" and "forgive me any pain I may have brung to ya"... ugh, they set my grammatically correct teeth to grinding!

3) The line "through hail and snow I'd go just to moon ya". ????? Is that a sexual reference or something?

I give it a 7.

Back
Top Bottom