The Queen is Dead - Under Review

modrevolve

Standard Model
Classic Albums DVD - The Queen is Dead??

Has this been discussed already as being a possibility?

I was on Craig Gannon's wikipedia page and it says -

"Gannon composed the music used on the 'Inside The Smiths' DVD, released by former Smiths Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke. In addition to this, he is also scheduled to compose the music for a classic albums DVD of 'The Queen Is Dead' - slated for release sometime in 2008."

is this just another internet rumor or is there some truth to it?? I dropped Craig a note on myspace not knowing is his page is run by him or a fan to get clarification.

Personally I love that series. Even sat through a few showings of "the number of the beast" on VH1 classic. :guitar:

in case you aren't familiar with the series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Albums

Re: Classic Albums DVD - The Queen is Dead??

Can you imagine the breakdown of the album in the studio, with all of Marr's layered music? That would be one of the coolest episodes to watch. Let's hope it's really in the works. But, wouldn't Gannon need approval from the band for this project??

I'm guessing it would be new interviews from Joyce, Rourke and Steven Street along with clips from Morrissey discussing the album way back then as I imagine he'd wouldn't participate..But it can't be pulled off without Johnny Marr and he's never let on about this project..

I'm guessing it would be new interviews from Joyce, Rourke and Steven Street along with clips from Morrissey discussing the album way back then as I imagine he'd wouldn't participate..But it can't be pulled off without Johnny Marr and he's never let on about this project..

You are joking. Not a month goes past without Marr talking to some monthly about the making of The Queen is Dead.

marr also had stated in an interview that he bought a portable videocamera back then and filmed a lot of the recordings...and the partys in the studio excluding morrissey...that would be funny to watch...

on amazon.com with a release date of June 10, 2008

http://www.amazon.com/Queen-Dead-Al...=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1210769540&sr=1-12

51NNjVOAHpL._SS500_.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow! This would be awesome!!! I would love to see footage from the studio sessions! how cool would that be?! And no you can never have too many books, videos, recordings, etc... of The Smiths!!!:D

I just clicked on the Amazon link- Go read it- next to "STUDIO" it says, "Sexy intellectual." Right on! ha-ha... :)

Sounds interesting. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a bunch of second- and third-tier hangers-on talking about The Smiths, as some other productions have been. That could turn out to be 180 excruciating minutes.

VOICEOVER: The band was in full creative swing, knocking out one classic track after another. Marr, in particular, was in a zone of inspiration unlike any he had been in before. Bingley Flyshafte delivered lunch to the band from his chip shop down the street.

BINGLEY: Johnny gave me a big tip.

INTERVIEWER: Did you sense anything about him? His demeanor?

BINGLEY: Yes. He seemed...generous.

VOICEOVER: Generous. Indeed. The next night, Marr recorded the epic backing track for "I Know It's Over".

etc.​

I think it would be great to be able to listen to mixes of the songs, however, in a way that allowed for isolating the various guitars and other sounds Marr put into each song. The descriptions in the various books and articles are always fascinating but for those of us with no recording experience it's hard to understand what they're talking about.

Craig Gannon being employed to write the music tells you all you need to know.

Lot's of "Smiths like" music but nothing from The Queen is Dead. No input from Johnny or Morrissey. Lots of talking heads who weren't there including plenty of Tony Wilson calling Morrissey "Stephen" with a smug look in his face.

I don't bother to buy it.
Fortunately I managed to see live four times in July 1986 which is enough to know about the album.

I don't bother to buy it.
Fortunately I managed to see live four times in July 1986 which is enough to know about the album.

You lucky thing :)

I turned one year old in that month, while you were enjoying my future obsession. :D

Re: The Queen is Dead documentary

These "Under Review" releases are worthless. Unless you like watching an interview of the caterer of one of the recording sessions.

Re: The Queen is Dead documentary

Yeah I got it the other day, wasn't really expecting it to be any good, but was pleasantly surprised. Whilst none of the Smiths were involved, I still found it enjoyable, there is few Morrissey interviews in here (recorded at the time). It starts off by saying how the album came about before examining each song off the album. The only annoyance (for me) is Steven Street who comes across as if it was his input that made QID so brilliant.

Worth a watch but nothing that wasn't already known.

Sounds a bit like "Jewel in the crown" which has him and Vinny Reilly arguing about who wrote which bits on "Viva hate" but agaiin still worth a look

Alan

Back
Top Bottom