The Women of Indie Rock: who is your favourite?

The Women of Indie Rock: who is your favourite?

• Neko Case

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star, Bavarian Fruit Bread)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Lisa Germano

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Marissa Nadler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Björk

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Chan Marshall (Cat Power)

• Maria Taylor (Azure Ray)

• Shannon Wright

• PJ Harvey

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Joanna Newsom

• Tori Amos

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Fiona Apple

• Stina Nordenstam

• Beth Orton

• Other (specify)

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters
Courtney Love

Ignore whatever you think you know about her and listen to Pretty On The Inside

kim gordon.

isobel campbell.

Hmm, not sure if Patti Smith is classified as "indie" but she get's my vote anyway.

May I vote for wolve?
029.gif

But I don't appeal to anything mentioned in the title!

Yes I have the new album! It's a BEAUTY! Still, her voice is a bit more different, but her songwriting has improved! Do you have it?

Yes I have the new album! It's a BEAUTY! Still, her voice is a bit more different, but her songwriting has improved! Do you have it?

Not yet, but I will tomorrow. It looks to be very "Southpaw Grammar"-ish. Only a few, very long songs on the album. Is it purely harp, or other instrumentation this time?

Peter

Not yet, but I will tomorrow. It looks to be very "Southpaw Grammar"-ish. Only a few, very long songs on the album. Is it purely harp, or other instrumentation this time?

Peter

Well, the songs vary from 7 min. till 15 min! Did you see the album cover already? I don't really like it, but hey, the music sure compensates it!
It's not purely harp, but strings dominate the record though ;)

The first track I heard from her was 'Sadie', and I had to laugh out loud and I immediately put it out. But after a long time I put it on again, and I was struck. What beauty! The words! The voice! The word 'elf' applies here!

I voted "Other", for Kate Bush (I don't know if she's "indie", but she is definitely "alternative"), who is still a very original and vital singer-songwriter. "Aerial", her most recent album, is just wonderful.

Well, the songs vary from 7 min. till 15 min! Did you see the album cover already? I don't really like it, but hey, the music sure compensates it!
It's not purely harp, but strings dominate the record though ;)

The first track I heard from her was 'Sadie', and I had to laugh out loud and I immediately put it out. But after a long time I put it on again, and I was struck. What beauty! The words! The voice! The word 'elf' applies here!

The first song I heard was The Sprout And The Bean, and I fell in love with it. You either hate her or love her. My wife hated it at first, but then she found it increasingly entrancing, and she bought the album, not me. I saw the cover - it reminds me (I don't know why) of a Marillion or Mansun album cover (shudder), but more than that, it reminds me of this...http://www.hermeticabooks.com/Inventory/000988.html (this book was a big deal when it came out). Also, I just listened to a couple of clips from the new album, it's certainly more varied. Her voice seems to be straying from Bjork to Billie Holiday, which is probably not a bad thing.

Best Wishes,

Peter

The first song I heard was The Sprout And The Bean, and I fell in love with it. You either hate her or love her. My wife hated it at first, but then she found it increasingly entrancing, and she bought the album, not me. I saw the cover - it reminds me (I don't know why) of a Marillion or Mansun album cover (shudder), but more than that, it reminds me of this...http://www.hermeticabooks.com/Inventory/000988.html (this book was a big deal when it came out). Also, I just listened to a couple of clips from the new album, it's certainly more varied. Her voice seems to be straying from Bjork to Billie Holiday, which is probably not a bad thing.

Best Wishes,

Peter

You're right, they have a certain ressemblance! (the covers) why was it such a big deal?
You're gonna love the first track! Allow me to already quote something :o

"anyhow, I sat by your side, by the water
you taught me the names of the stars overhead that I wrote down in my ledger
though all I knew of the rote universe were those pleiades loosed in december
I promised you I‘d set them to verse so I'd always remember

that the meteorite is a source of the light
and the meteor's just what we see
and the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid of the fire that propelled it to thee

and the meteorite's just what causes the light
and the meteor's how it's perceived
and the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void that lies quiet in offering to thee"

(from 'Emily') I can't wait to discuss it with you tomorrow ;) (glad someone likes her as well!)

You're right, they have a certain ressemblance! (the covers) why was it such a big deal?
You're gonna love the first track! Allow me to already quote something :o

"anyhow, I sat by your side, by the water
you taught me the names of the stars overhead that I wrote down in my ledger
though all I knew of the rote universe were those pleiades loosed in december
I promised you I‘d set them to verse so I'd always remember

that the meteorite is a source of the light
and the meteor's just what we see
and the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid of the fire that propelled it to thee

and the meteorite's just what causes the light
and the meteor's how it's perceived
and the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void that lies quiet in offering to thee"

(from 'Emily') I can't wait to discuss it with you tomorrow ;) (glad someone likes her as well!)

This is what the book was all about...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masquerade_%28book%29

Absolutely magical.

Peter

@Uncleskinny: what do you think of 'Ys' now?

Back
Top Bottom