"This Charming Charlie" - comics by Lauren LoPrete combining Peanuts with Smiths lyrics

Nice.

Like this one best...

tumblr_mrebe2BcAS1seji43o1_r1_500.jpg

Re: I know it's over. / Tumblr reblog

thischarmingcharlie:
The Smiths licensing company (Universal Music Publishing Group) has started requesting posts be removed from This Charming Charlie. So far 6 posts have been removed, and it is increasing every hour. If you like the page, please save copies of the comics to your own computer.
It was fun while it lasted, I wish Morrissey and Marr were a bit more understanding.

Original reblog on Tumblr / more details...

It may have nothing to do with Morrissey or Marr. It might be solely at the behest of Universal.

Re: I know it's over. / Tumblr reblog

once again record company scum* destroy something good :straightface:
I am happy to note though that I think I shall live to see the complete and utter destruction of such greed driven companies as the "universal music group" :thumb:

*=a business I myself worked in for years :eek::o
though the lawyers in such a business are the highest paid/"bottom of the barrel"
truly, their deaths would make the world a better place, oh Dexter where are you?

Last edited:
"This Charming Charlie in takedown tussle over Smiths lyrics"

As Morrissey once wrote, “I know it’s over/And it never really began”: This Charming Charlie, the delightful blog that mashed up Peanuts panels with The Smiths lyrics, has closed (at least for now), less than two months after its launch. But the culprit might not be who you think.

Techdirt notes that the blog’s mastermind Lauren LoPrete announced last week that The Smiths license holder Universal Music Publishing Group — rather that Peanuts Worldwide — began inundating her with takedown notices, leading her to advise her readers that she’s ending the Tumblr. However, she isn’t giving up without a fight.

LoPrete tells Motherboard that as soon as she posted the farewell, she began getting offers from lawyers to accept her case pro bono. And so now, with a little help, she’s filing counter-notifications with Tumblr, insisting the mash-ups fall under the fair-use exception of U.S. copyright law.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.co...harlie-in-takedown-tussle-over-smiths-lyrics/

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed. I have always thought that the oft missed Shoplifters/Shirtlifters reference is as clear a reference to Section 28 as you can get. And the genius of the lyrics juxtaposting being nabbed by a store detective, to the act of sex "A heartless hand on my shoulder, a push and it's over" and the climax "Alabaster crashes down" as the shoplifter is accosted. Genius lyricism.

P.

Both make perfect sense. 'Listed crime' probably alludes much more to Section 11 of the Criminal Law Amendment Act 1885, commonly known as the Labouchere Amendment, which made 'gross indecency' a crime in the UK.

'List of crimes' means that the singer has lots of weaknesses too many to mention. Quite clever really.

Indeed. I have always thought that the oft missed Shoplifters/Shirtlifters reference is as clear a reference to Section 28 as you can get. And the genius of the lyrics juxtaposting being nabbed by a store detective, to the act of sex "A heartless hand on my shoulder, a push and it's over" and the climax "Alabaster crashes down" as the shoplifter is accosted. Genius lyricism.

P.

Never for a moment thought of the " alabaster - climax " metaphor, Skinny. Well done ...

Back
Top Bottom