TTY: Michael Bracewell comments on Morrissey being without a record label

Morran sends the link:

Michael Bracewell comments on Morrissey being without a record label
- true-to-you.net
9 September 2015

"The situation is BEYOND BELIEF..... not wishing to be facile, but this is like Hockney being unable to get a gallery, only slightly worse and even more baffling... How very odd that the cost of being an icon is isolation..."

Last edited:
I don't know why anyone would want a Morrissey Marr reunion of any type. Marr hasn't written a good song since his stint with The The.... Richard Hawley.
Coz they're maybe the greatest songwriting partnership ever. "New Town Velocity" by Johnny Marr is magnificent; he's still got it.
Richard Hawley writes music for old people to fall asleep to.

kevin barnes from of montreal would be interesting if he was willing to taper towards moz which i would tend to doubt

You fools - this statement is a parody. Where exactly do you think the Michael Bracewell quote comes from? Have any of you seen it in a magazine? No, of course not. Remember the Mikey Bracewell lines from the MorrisseysWorld mini-sitcoms? No, of course you don't, because you all ignored them thinking they were a hoax. MorrisseysWorld really was Morrissey, but it's too late now, you missed it.

Bermondsey Billy

Life and the industry have changed so much in the eleven years since Quarry. Moz was (as they say in the business) 'hot' back then because of the numerous young and emerging bands and artists that were referencing Moz: Bloc Party, Franz Ferdians and many others involved in the 'scene with no name' or 'no wave' all took a vested interest in 70s and and 80s post punk music and in Morrissey and the Smiths. Signing Moz after seven years of wilderness when he was popular with the up and coming bands was a total no brainer, financially. And for the first time in forty years or so, thanks to the the emergence of iTunes and the increased availability and accessibility of music electronically, the 'old guard' (Moz, the Cure, Weller to name a few) could quite happily co-exist amongst music that was, for want of a better term, contemporary.

It was great. The cool, '80s were in vogue - you had bands referencing the Fall, the Associates. Friggin' Wire. New bands. Listening to the music I was, at 19 in my room on my own.

Nowadays, it's all 1D, Sam Smith, Sheeran and the constant XFactor conveyor belt that Moz laments at every relevant opportunity. Sure, that also existed in '04 but that was supplemented for real music fans by the bands I mentioned above

11 years on and it's looking hopeless for Morrissey because there is nothing to create momentum for him, it's not just signing him, it's one small part of a bigger picture. Major labels won't touch him. Indies may be because indies are typically more interested in giving a platform to art than they are by commerce.

Sadly Morrissey, for someone who's dismissed the opinion that singing on stage is a job or a career or a vocation, seems more interested in making money than he is in singing and writing.

Last edited:
"Like Nick Cave, Richard Hawley and Swans?"

Okay, I didn't know they were with Mute.

I still think Mute wouldn't appeal to Morrissey because of their reputation for dealing with electronic based artists. Personally, I wish he'd take up Alan Wilder's (formerly of Depeche Mode) offer of letting him produce an experimental electronic based Morrissey album. After all synths and samplers have been used effectively in Morrissey records, in the past, despite his criticisms of such music...

indie labels are labels in the figment of their own imagination. its just a few guys putting out records. no distribution no promotion. nothing. no synch money. no mechanicals.
no artist who makes substantial money on the road will give away a cut. only if you are an up and coming group.
he makes more on the one o2 show than he did on world peace.
what he needs to do is record an album and be happy with making no real money off of it or by selling copies of it on the road.
a tour souvenir.

At least one truth in a lengthy post which actually makes the post completely unnecessary. At this point in the game I begin to wish that Moz' novel will do so well that he will be able to concentrate entirely on a writing career in the future. And that is not because I don't want him to make music any longer, quite the opposite. I love him how he is now and I loved the last record and I have no problem with his current band. It rather makes me happy to see that he has finally found a band he feels so united with. Who am I to spoil something like that for him? Who am I to question someone's personal feelings on things? I simply wish for a writers career and a more quiet life because the constant moaning by "fans" is truly exhausting (and if it's exhausting for me than imagine how exhausting it must be for Moz). I am again and again astonished and shocked about the fact that there are apparently so much "fans" out there who want to have a say in ... EVERYTHING about Moz' life and career, even though they have no idea about most of these things. It's annoying and greatly arrogant. They demand this, they demand that. He should do this but he should not do that. He should not behave like that. How can he like this awful song? Why does he admire this horrible person? Or even worse, he should not befriend this asshole of a person (even livelong friends and family members are obviously not good enough and are constantly victims of verbal abuse). And there are honestly people who pride themselves with the alleged knowledge that Moz reads everything what's said about him. How can this be a good thing? It's a horrible thought because, as Tim Booth (I think) once said "nobody emerges from that without his ego being distorted".

I think you meant "...so MANY fans".

But what do I know...something after all it would appear.

Coz they're maybe the greatest songwriting partnership ever. "New Town Velocity" by Johnny Marr is magnificent; he's still got it.
Richard Hawley writes music for old people to fall asleep to.

They were. Past tense. Never will happen again. Maybe The Smiths would have seen a downturn in song quality if they had done another few albums. Johnny Marr is inconsistent at best (since leaving The Smiths I mean). You named 'one' song there. Moz has created at least 40 songs that are as good as or better than The Smiths: November, Everyday, Suedehead, Irish Blood, First of gang, Boxers, Last of famous, Nobody loves us, will never marry, reader meet author, pigsty, Jack The Ripper, I've changed my plea, etc etc.
P.s. If you fell asleep listening to Hawley's 'Tonight the streets are ours' then you're on medication of some sort.

Last edited:
If I owned a record company, why on earth would I sign someone whom:

Is always in the news for the wrong reasons (desperate)

Wears and forces his band to wear clothes that insult his former business partners (vitriolic)

And all this for the pleasure of perhaps an album or two that may sell 50,000 copies (irrelevant)

Put those things together and I would hazard that taking a chance of Morrissey these days is akin to trying to hook up with a crazy person. It could start out fine, but it's only a matter of time before they go bat shit looney and start trashing you on facebook.

Benny-the-British-Butcher Liked you on solo !

who would you guys like M. to write with? I would say Bernard Butler, but we know that's unlikely to happen....

John Parish. William orbit. Nick cave. Rick Rubin. Joshua Homme Would great options for complete new sonic explorations

I don't know why anyone would want a Morrissey Marr reunion of any type. Marr hasn't written a good song since his stint with The The. Bernard Butler hasn't written anything decent since his stint with McAlmont (some of The Tears songs were ok). I'd prefer to see a Morrissey-Alain Whyte reunion. Or a brand new collaboration. Anna Calvi and her gang write some great songs. Same for Richard Hawley.
If Moz ever asks for money from crowd source I'm melting my CDs. He is filthy rich and doesn't need handouts. Why anyone would give £100 to a millionaire on the promise of a signed CD is beyond my feeble mind to comprehend.

yawn @ this comment. moz and marr forevah!!! i really wanna see a reunion (not a smith reunion tho)

It's Hockey not "Hockney". Why do the delusional Morrissey playing sports and watching sports stories still occur? Morrissey does not play Hockey. Who is this clown?

Overheard at Morrissey Marketing HQ Malibu:

Hey Taylor, did you see that article on TTY? Yeah Jeremy, I did, and Solo just ate that up too. That "he does it his way" kind of Nancy's Dad ironical comparison song and just doesn't give a shit e attitude is actually still working! They even believed the Harvest story. I think we should ask Richard De La Font for a raise....

Last edited:
I don't agree with everything you say here Uncleskinny but in this instance we are as one.

The music industry has changed...it had to or else it would have died. Morrissey must change too...or else his career as a musician will die.

I still, perhaps naively, believe that he has at least one genuinely great album left in him. "Autobiography" showed that he still has a command of the English language that is, largely, unrivalled in the world of popular music. It also showed that his past has plenty to offer and to inform his lyrics. It doesn't have to be songs of bitterness or tired rants about this, that and the other...there is still beauty, sadness, love and character in him.

Recently the much maligned, perhaps correctly, Ordinary Boys have been using pledgemusic to promote/fund their new album. They post regular updates including a potted history of the band (with many mentions of Morrissey), ask fans for set-list requests, offer a wide range of merchandise (signed screen prints, cassette versions of the album, patches/badges and much more besides), produce Spotify playlists and make a genuine attempt to connect with their, still vibrant, fan base. Now, Preston is no Mozzer...he knows that, we knows that and Moz knows that. I also understand that much of the "joy" of Moz is in the fact that he does it his way BUT...if he is serious about being heard, if really wants to record music and if he wants to have one last moment in the spotlight then he needs to change.

I, and a fair few others here I am sure, would be more than happy to pledge in advance of a new album...with the right rewards I could be persuaded to offer up to £100; signed album, a screen print, advanced listen, priority tickets for a live show would be enough to see me cough up in advance. This was tried by Harvest but I don't think they got it quite right and I don't believe that it had the endorsement of Morrissey himself. I don't need him to email me or call me to thank me personally (although...) or to appear on Graham Norton with somebody from Eastenders but I would like to see him...give?

As for new songwriters...that is essential. Jesse Tobias is a competent musician and a fair songwriter but he lacks any real "pop" nous. Marr and Whyte are the two men responsible for his most successful and memorable "hits". What they had in common was a lightness of touch and a magpie ear. I don't know who fits that bill...people talk about Butler but I'm not sure; he's a prickly character in his own right. Strangely, Richard Oakes who wrote many of the biggest hits that Suede enjoyed in their career is the sort of character who may work well with Morrissey...I'm not suggesting Oakes but perhaps an unknown entity is what is needed. That or pick up the 'phone to Johnny...no Smiths reunion but a Morrissey Marr reunion. Ah, we all know that ain't gonna happen.

Without any change then we are all destined for a never-ending tour of enormodomes and a set-list that seems to genuinely be suggesting that "World Peace is None of Your Business" is a work of genius. It's not. It's a good album. It's got one or two brilliant moments but he is capable of more. At least I think he is. But what do I know?

Nothing.

What world do you live in?
Comparing Morrissey to the Ordinary Boys is reaching into the absurd. The band are truly awful, the singer can't sing and looks dreadful and is a middle class boy trying to pretend he's working class, not to mention a desperate man who sold his band down the river to go on Big Brother, then went down the Hello magazine route.
Everyone from Morrissey to Paul Weller knows they are crap. Those two usually like anyone who name checks them, especially Morrissey. Preston likes to put it around Brighton and to the media about his meeting with Morrissey and how they played Meltdown. What he never mentions is Meltdown was a gig about Morrissey, his influences and who he influenced. The Ordinary Boys were merely put in the queue as a few people dropped out and their manager got them a spot. As for the meeting, that was a case of chance.The Ordinary Boys happened to be playing Later with Jools Holland, at the same time as Morrissey. Preston (their singer) went up to Morrissey and all Morrissey said was "I know who you are" (lets face it Mozzer knows anyone who's wearing one of his tshirts, name checks him, lifts one of his song titles and etc.)Then he blanked them forever more, he banned them from even being in the same room hallways as him.
Brighton has many people who claim to on speaking terms with Morrissey. the singer from Gene. They also played Meltdown, in the reception area. Martin has also only met Morrissey once..and that was because one of the backing band set it up, not to mention it was an article in the music press, during a slow time.
Julie Burchill, lives in Brighton and also likes to put it about that shes friends with Morrissey. They aren't.They have only met once.
Steve Coogan often runs his mouth in regards to Morrissey but they aren't friends either.
There is that guy (Ally, Alex,Alan or something) who looks more like Morrissey than Morrissey and is meant to be rather like him, for one no one knows if he's gay or straight (I hear he's straight and went out with Kristeen Young, not sure if thats true.) and he's meant to be odd. Though I haven't seen him in Brighton for a while. I did hear a rumour that he was hanging out with Morrissey in LA, that was fairytale land. He met Morrissey in the pub in LA and thats it.
Doll and The Kicks were based in Brighton and of course toured with Morrissey and he did like them, not sure Doll had the same relationship with him that Kristeen had, though Kristeen's relationship wasn't as close as she liked to tell people.
Brighton is amass of Hipsters these days, its an empty place. I'm happy to have moved back to London away from all that bullshit.

Morrissey doesn't need kick starter, he wasn't in Menswear, he was in the Smiths and has number one books, sell out gigs around the world. He knows what he's doing.

"Like Nick Cave, Richard Hawley and Swans?"

Okay, I didn't know they were with Mute.

I still think Mute wouldn't appeal to Morrissey because of their reputation for dealing with electronic based artists. Personally, I wish he'd take up Alan Wilder's (formerly of Depeche Mode) offer of letting him produce an experimental electronic based Morrissey album. After all synths and samplers have been used effectively in Morrissey records, in the past, despite his criticisms of such music...

Daniel Miller is from the same club as Geoff Travis and Tony Wilson. I don't see that as a bad club to be in, but I suspect Morrissey would think differently.

You named 'one' song there. Moz has created at least 40 songs that are as good as or better than The Smiths

I'm veering off-topic here, but there's of course many many songs with Marr involvement that are great too. To mention only a couple of co-writes: Gravitate to Me (The The), Sexuality (Billy Bragg), Get the Message, Disappointed (sic), Getting Away with It (all Electronic), Walking down Madison (Kirsty Maccoll), never mind the mark he's left on other writer's songs (the entire Dusk album by The The and Nothing but Flowers by Talking Heads come to mind).

Point is - both have created great songs within and without The Smiths. There's no point comparing or stating who's "better". But I would like to see them on a podium together once, not necessarily with the other two (although I like Andy's work with The Smiths), just to hear what it would sound like now.

I'm veering off-topic here, but there's of course many many songs with Marr involvement that are great too. To mention only a couple of co-writes: Gravitate to Me (The The), Sexuality (Billy Bragg), Get the Message, Disappointed (sic), Getting Away with It (all Electronic), Walking down Madison (Kirsty Maccoll), never mind the mark he's left on other writer's songs (the entire Dusk album by The The and Nothing but Flowers by Talking Heads come to mind).

Point is - both have created great songs within and without The Smiths. There's no point comparing or stating who's "better". But I would like to see them on a podium together once, not necessarily with the other two (although I like Andy's work with The Smiths), just to hear what it would sound like now.

id rather see an adny marr reunion than anything else but thats an interesting point to aim at marr. with all of the griping about morrissey being difficult or egotistical why is it that both joyce and andy worked with great results with moz but neither have to my knowledge ever again done anything with marr despite his praise for andys work

I hear you. I loved Mike Joyce on drums. He is much maligned, mainly because of the court case, but he added a lot to the sound of The Smiths. That's what I think anyway. I guess my one fear of a Moz/Marr reunion is the crazily high expectations everyone would have. Typically Great Expectations are a disappointment that leave us raving for what could have been in a Miss Havisham induced nightmare.

Miss_Havisham_film_Martita_Hunt.jpg

Attachments

• miss havisham.jpg
    miss havisham.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom