TTY: Morrissey and Australia - on Australian government killing of 2 million street/feral cats

Do cats really like little bells around their neck?

I just asked my cat for his opinion on this matter, and he said 'miaow'. I'm not sure if that means "yes", "no, or "f*** off and bring me some food, ya bastard." Anyone here speak cat?

I wonder if Moz is going to the PETA gala in LA. He should invite me as his date because I'm a hard-body and would look good in the requisite attire. :p

There's nothing kind about mankind, uncle. I'm sure you've noticed. Maybe in a world without the most civilized species of them all the other animals will get a decent shake? I don't know. I'm only dreaming....

s.

- - - Updated - - -

ARE RATS ANIMALS ? yes
DO WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO KILL THEM ? only if it's for-profit.

Scummy the Cwtcher

Very unfortunate news. As a cat lover, it pains me to read about something so cruel.

Morrissey's kitty looks like a sweetheart. Would pet.

So it's ok to keep the rodents under control is it ?
The rodents are the end of the line as far as Silly Steven is concerned. If your born a cat , cool but if your born a rodent tough shit just eat your poison and die.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

100% agree.

Morrissey clearly states: 'The cats (who keep the rodent population under control)'. So is it not therefore completely fine to paraphrase that to 'The humans (who keep the cat population under control'. What's the difference people? I defy anyone to come up with a reason other than cats are cute and cuddly (on paper - they are actually cold-blooded killing machines). Oh this is a clear case of hypocisy mon amour your honour. Are not these rodents little versions of Cecil The Rat? Morrissey is writing that rodent execution is perfectly fine and dandy. In this case to the cat Meat Is Delicious! Hmmm methinks I smell a rat.

They've been doing this with the fluoroacetate for many, many years on many, many species. Just because cats can be pets, and he has one, doesn't make it any more of a special case.

Is your implication that Morrissey should only address special cases or that he should only comment using broad, all encompassing strokes?

oh to be Morrissey's cat!

There is no such thing as a vegan cat. Morrissey has to feed his cat/cats some meat. Vegans then say that their cat is 'partially vegan' which is like saying one is 'partially vegetarian' when one tucks into a juicy cheeseburger once a week.

There is no such thing as a vegan cat. Morrissey has to feed his cat/cats some meat. Vegans then say that their cat is 'partially vegan' which is like saying one is 'partially vegetarian' when one tucks into a juicy cheeseburger once a week.

I was chuckling over this with my wife earlier. Picturing him making an assistant do it.
"Oh, I can't bear to see it! Tell me when it's all over! Fancy feast is murder by any other name!"

Obviously, Morrissey is unaware of the damage that feral cat populations do to local wildlife. The man is a seriously unserious person. He's flippant, ignorant, and prone to hyperbole. It's embarrassing to be a fan.

Were you shattered before Morrrisey pointed out the slaughter to you? Do you pine for the 50% of all chicks murdered every day because they are male? Or is it just the animals we have as companions?

Who is Morrrisey?

As I said, Peter, I love ALL animals and I am deeply saddened by slaughter (Morrissey has nothing to do with that, by the way.) But hey - thanks for being a monumental sarcastic asshole to me today. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

To be fair, any attack on Tony Abbott and his government is welcomed by anyone. By far the worst government we have ever had here. I mean, Christ Alive just yesterday they tried to implement something which drew strong parallels to nazism and had human rights lawyers licking their lips. Fortunately they backed out of it.
But for all the many, many, many faults of this government, it's pretty crazy that this is the one that Morrissey speaks up against. There's actually quite a few feral cats around where I live. Morrissey says they keep the rodent population down as if rodents are a bad thing. Thing is, these cats are basically rodents themselves. When they are feral they are not the kitties we know and love. They even kill other cats who are loved pets. It actually is an issue. The means of killing them is pretty harsh I'll grant him that. But I think people can look at this issue with rose coloured glasses on because of the how we associate cats.

But yeah, I'd welcome Morrissey having a go at the Abbott government about its massive funding cuts to health, education, the ABC and SBS, it's gutting of science institutes, the absolute waste of money putting in an already outdated national broadband network, cutting the carbon tax, abhorrent treatment of asylum seekers (making it illegal for workers in detention centres to report abuse of asylum seekers too), it's scare mongering of non-whites, holding the G20 summit and having a golden opportunity to increase Australia's standing on the world stage - instead, alienate world leaders by moaning about your own domestic policies, the attacks on Medicare and closing Medicare offices and attempts to raise mandatory fees for doctors visits - the first step in trying to scrap our health care system, the attempts to raise University education fees making it unaffordable to most, cuts to the pension and then in the same breath raising the age of eligibility for the pension, ran on the promise of his "signature policy" being the paid parental leave scheme - then scraps it, breaks an election promise of no changes to the GST, when in opposition he leads a witch hunt to have the speaker of the house sacked because of tax payer expense scandals - when in government, HIS speaker is found out to have rorted tax payers money in an even larger expense scandal and he fights tooth and nail to save her. I mean you could go on and on. I think I saw a list of over 480 damaging individual actions he has been apart of since taking government in only 2013

And for Morrissey, it's feral cat culling which causes him to speak out. I guess that is Morrissey's thing, but if you're going to mention Tony Abbott and give his name exposure, it'd be nice if he really exposed what this evil government is like beyond just cat culling.

Who is Morrrisey?

As I said, Peter, I love ALL animals and I am deeply saddened by slaughter (Morrissey has nothing to do with that, by the way.) But hey - thanks for being a monumental sarcastic asshole to me today. Hope .you have a lovely weekend
As a fellow animal lover, I am also shattered. But as a pragmatist, I completely understand why this was necessary.

As Pokey stated, feral cats are not simply cute strays. There's been a lot of propaganda spreading ideas to this effect, but the reality is that feral cats are wild and savage predators. More than that, though, they are a major ecological disturbance. They're an invasive species numbering well into the millions and have wiped out large numbers of fauna and other native species. The re-introduction of threatened species is nigh impossible due to cat predation. They're a conservationist nightmare. There is an abundance of research material available to read detailing the vast environmental devastation feral cats have inflicted on Australia. Those curious can begin here.

The feral cat population of Australia runs rampant at the expense of the rest of the ecosystem. If the number of cats must be reduced to save the lives of many more animals (including entire species on the decline) and restore balance to the ecosystem, then that is what must be done. Such is the inevitable tragedy of introduced species. A solution that doesn't involve any animal slaughter whatsoever would obviously be the preferable and most humane option, but that does not seem like a viable alternative. It's very sad, but ultimately, while this solution may be hurting the cats, it is benefiting countless other animals in the long run.

Last edited:
this reminds me of the black flag reunion and the cat controversy. go greg ginn

100% agree.

Morrissey clearly states: 'The cats (who keep the rodent population under control)'. So is it not therefore completely fine to paraphrase that to 'The humans (who keep the cat population under control'. What's the difference people? I defy anyone to come up with a reason other than cats are cute and cuddly (on paper - they are actually cold-blooded killing machines). Oh this is a clear case of hypocisy mon amour your honour. Are not these rodents little versions of Cecil The Rat? Morrissey is writing that rodent execution is perfectly fine and dandy. In this case to the cat Meat Is Delicious! Hmmm methinks I smell a rat.

Stop killing badgers. Kill rats instead.
Charming !

Roland

As a fellow animal lover, I am also shattered. But as a pragmatist, I completely understand why this was necessary.

As Pokey stated, feral cats are not simply cute strays. There's been a lot of propaganda spreading ideas to this effect, but the reality is that feral cats are wild and savage predators. More than that, though, they are a major ecological disturbance. They're an invasive species numbering well into the millions and have wiped out large numbers of fauna and other native species. The re-introduction of threatened species is nigh impossible due to cat predation. They're a conservationist nightmare. There is an abundance of research material available to read detailing the vast environmental devastation feral cats have inflicted on Australia. Those curious can begin here.

The feral cat population of Australia runs rampant at the expense of the rest of the ecosystem. If the number of cats must be reduced to save the lives of many more animals (including entire species on the decline) and restore balance to the ecosystem, then that is what must be done. Such is the inevitable tragedy of introduced species. A solution that doesn't involve any animal slaughter whatsoever would obviously be the preferable and most humane option, but that does not seem like a viable alternative. It's very sad, but ultimately, while this solution may be hurting the cats, it is benefiting countless other animals in the long run.

The cats don't need to die in vain though, I'm sure Australia will have a sub species community or town that could make a decent sweet and sour dish with them.

ARE RATS ANIMALS ?
DO WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO KILL THEM ?

"Ambitious Catsiders"

Top of the list
Is your smiling rats
But we'll be smiling too
So that's OK
Oh, and by the way
Thank you, because you're
Giving, giving, giving
And we're receiving -
No, no, we're taking
Keeping the rodent population down

that's sad news about the two million cats being killed by the australian government. reminds one of romania and other corrupt and underdeveloped countries that cannot come up with intelligent solutions to this problem. and i want to stress that politicians are paid by tax payers for finding solutions to problems. that's their f***ing job. is australia that poor, its politicians so crude and backward? [Irony modus on] makes one want to visit this beautiful land of amazing contrasts immediately [Irony modus off] small wonder my cousin who has lived there for a couple of years now wants to return asap. i have two shelter cats who probably would have been killed if not for my decision to take them home. as an individual i can only do so little, and it really depresses me that politicians can destroy so much just by passing a dirty law that will transfer millions of tax payers' dollars into the bank accounts of the company that produces Compound 10/80.

View attachment 34547

yeah they would only have to look at what many other places have already done. they catch spay and release or adopt. still costs the same

Back
Top Bottom