What did the thorn in his side represent?

Yes indeed, so many beautiful lines.

It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind"

Thats a new one on me. Where's that from?

All these great lines all squeezed into one song...

I decree today that life
Is simply taking and not giving
England is mine - it owes me a living
But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams

Does the body rule the mind
Or does the mind rule the body ?
I dunno...

Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill ?
Oh ...
Am I still ill ?
Oh ...

Does the body rule the mind
Or does the mind rule the body ?
I dunno...

Ask me why, and I'll die
Oh, ask me why, and I'll die
And if you must, go to work - tomorrow
Well, if I were you I really wouldn't bother
For there are brighter sides to life
And I should know, because I've seen them
But not very often ...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill ?
Oh ...
Oh, am I still ill ?
Oh ...

Thats a new one on me, where's that one from?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

You don't know I KNOW IT'S OVER???

It's quite possibly the most beautiful and heartbreaking song Moz has ever written!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

You don't know I KNOW IT'S OVER???

It's quite possibly the most beautiful and heartbreaking song Moz has ever written!

Oh i know of I Know It's Over. Though i can't recall every line, im listening to it now.

I remember watching a comedy show called Pulling, with one or two associates, i hesitate to call them friends as i dont seek friends. Anyway the bloke in the programme was really depressed and a few of his friends were debating whether they should all go out on the town or stay with him. Then they heard him play this song and realised they had to stay with him!

And that was the point my "associates" took the piss out of me for liking depressing (morrissey) music!

I don't think it's the industry for a minute, even less so when he said it in that Margi Clark int. I think it has more to do with whatever it is that bothers you when you're trying to define yourself, or at least to place yourself in the world. The thorn to me is the not fitting, the not knowing if what you are is right. Once you make peace with yourself, or at least decide to be whatever you are and see what happens, the thorn doesn't bother you anymore. I still haven't reached that stage, but at least I have the advantage of not having a social life. You see, sometimes, when nothing is pressing it, the thorn doesn't puncture you!

one or two associates, i hesitate to call them friends as i dont seek friends.

And that was the point my "associates" took the piss out of me for liking depressing (morrissey) music!

In regards to the first point; how terribly sad :(

Ah, most of my friends think Morrissey is a depressing poof; I don't care though, he has helped me through so much, I love him dearly.

I know the song is 'not' about this, but I always thought it was about a minority.
Personally, it touched me, coz I'm homo.
And the line "How can they see the love in our eyes and still they don't believe us," really paints a picture of gay men being prosecuted, sort of like the tale in Picadilly Palare.
So the thorn being homophobic society.
But, that's the thing about MOZ songs, you can really read them in different ways.

Ah, most of my friends think Morrissey is a depressing poof; I don't care though, he has helped me through so much, I love him dearly.

god me too, my bf hates him with a passion, its a tentative case of live and let live. He still will moan or do stupid impressions of Morrissey singing if I have him on when he is in the house, this has been a 9 year thing. Utter hatred of Morrissey.
Fat Mancy gay boy, is the usual insult.
I ignore and adore all the more!
I also would not try to convert your friends as long as you are "happy" with Morrissey in your life then nothing they think matters.

I dont know of anyone who even likes Morrissey.

I think he is the only person i have ever fallen in love with.

I know the song is 'not' about this, but I always thought it was about a minority.
Personally, it touched me, coz I'm homo.

Your Arsenal, you crack me up :p When you first came to the forum it was "Well, I would like to lie down next to Morrissey but in a TOTALLY NON-SEXUAL WAY" and then it was "I'm bisexual" and now "homo". Did Moz-Solo inspire you to come out :D

I dont know of anyone who even likes Morrissey.

I think he is the only person i have ever fallen in love with.

The more people slur Morrissey, the more I love him. I love all the things about him that I wouldn't love otherwise, like when my friends piss themselves if they catch him on TOTP2 in one of the flowery blouses with the big specs and the flowers hanging out the pockets etc, I just have this almost violent urge to protect/defend him, like they are insulting me personally.

Maybe I'm just sad :o

Well even if it is sad your not alone, i am 100% with you on this one.

Me too!

For me, the thorn represents all the depression and pain I feel in my heart. Everytime I listen songs from The Smiths and Morrissey, I ask myself: "How can someone make songs like these?!" It's truelly amazing.

I've lived in Wales for five weeks now but haven't met anyone who would like Morrissey. Where are all the Welsh Morrissey-fans?

Back
Top Bottom