What is a true Morrissey fan?

K

keene

What is the answer to that question?
This question was posed...not by me...a member named bored.

Hmmm....let's see....How about someone that actually listens to the words of his songs....and makes at least a feeble attempt to understand. How about someone that actually likes his music and poetry and appreciates Morrissey as an artist.

How about someone who forgives Morrissey for being actually Human....and not a God. Someone that looks forward to listening to his albums..... and he and his band if they get a chance.

How about someone with an ounce of humility. Something like that.....

Have you got a better definition?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the answer to that question?

Hmmm....let's see....How about someone that actually listens to the words of his songs....and makes at least a feeble attempt to understand. How about someone that actually likes his music and poetry and appreciates Morrissey as an artist.

How about someone who forgives Morrissey for being actually Human....and not a God. Someone that looks forward to listening to his albums..... and he and his band if they get a chance.

You can be all of those things and still be critical.
You can be all of those things and still maintain your own sense of morality.
You can be all of those things and still think for yourself.
You can be all of those things and still not do or say everything Morrissey says/does.
You can be all of those things and still think Morrissey is a dick sometimes.

You can be a fan of Morrissey just because you like the sound of his voice and not care for his lyrics or the music.
You can be a fan of Morrissey just because you like the lyrics but can't stand anything else about him.
You can be a fan of Morrissey just because you like the music his band creates but not much of anything else.

You can be a fan of Morrissey for any, all or none of these things.
Who the f*** are you to dictate to any of us who is and who isn't a genuine fan???

All of this "I am a true fan of Morrissey and you're not" crap is not only BS it also makes you sound like you're a true fan only of yourself.
If you're that much of a Morrissey fan why aren't you staring lovingly at photos of him while listening to his music instead of trying to engage in a pissing contest on here?
Get over yourself.

"And they say he's mental" - there's your definition of a Morrissey fan. Straight from the horse's mouth.

You can be all of those things and still be critical.
You can be all of those things and still maintain your own sense of morality.
You can be all of those things and still think for yourself.
You can be all of those things and still not do or say everything Morrissey says/does.
You can be all of those things and still think Morrissey is a dick sometimes.

You can be a fan of Morrissey just because you like the sound of his voice and not care for his lyrics or the music.
You can be a fan of Morrissey just because you like the lyrics but can't stand anything else about him.
You can be a fan of Morrissey just because you like the music his band creates but not much of anything else.

You can be a fan of Morrissey for any, all or none of these things.
Who the f*** are you to dictate to any of us who is and who isn't a genuine fan???
I'm not dictating anything....I'm asking a question. A serious question for this website.

It's fine to be critical....but can you explain the criticism with more than one word...like, garbage, trash, shit, dick, c***, f*** you...etc etc.

I disagree that you can be a fan of anyone and just like the sound of his voice. Gotta be more than that...I believe.

Does humility have any place in this equation as a fan of anyone?

You say this:

I'm not dictating anything....

And then go on to dictate this:

I disagree that you can be a fan of anyone and just like the sound of his voice. Gotta be more than that...I believe.

And after dismissing other fans for not being as much of a fan as you, you have the gall to state this:

Does humility have any place in this equation as a fan of anyone?

Why don't you practice a bit of humility yourself?
You don't have to give Morrissey your fandom in suppository form.
He's already got a boyfriend.

I'm guessing the only answer "Keene" will accept to the question "What is a true Morrissey fan?" is "Keene is a true Morrissey fan".
I disagree.
Keene is far too acquiescent to Morrissey. He accepts everything Morrissey says and does without question and feels the need to defend Morrissey over and over.
Any true fan who was there from the start knows that Morrissey inspires people to think for themselves and not be a puppet for anyone, including Moz. Also, any true fan of Morrissey's will realise that Moz is capable of looking after himself and he doesn't need defending nor do his statements need qualification.
Keene is not only NOT a true fan he is, I believe, doing Morrissey and his true fans a great disservice with all this obsequious bullshit masquerading as fandom.
Also, Morrissey has one of the most beautiful voices ever and if Keene thinks one cannot be just a fan of the voice alone then he really doesn't understand Morrissey.

Given the above I move to blackball Keene from the "I am a true fan of Morrissey" fanclub forthwith and ban him from all future wanking on the biscuit club competitions.

All those in favour say "Aye!"

You say this:

I wasn't dictating anything.

I didn't dismiss....I said I disagree. I love the voice of Sam Smith....but I wouldn't say I was a fan....because of the depth of his lyrics.

That's an insult....that's not a response...

This is probably going to run similar to the "vegans vs vegetarians" discussions I see in all the herbivore forums.

We should all just like what we wanna like and say what we wanna say as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. We all are equipped with the ability to scroll. :) Yaaaay!

This is the same one word descriptions of Morrissey's album.

I would say you are not a fan....

No, the album is shite.

I would say you are a prick, but hey, 'fan'. 'prick'. 'keene' - these are just noises we animals grunt at each other while we wait for the big cleaver.

So let's say someone just loves his voice. They love it more than any voice they've ever heard. They think it's the most beautiful voice ever and they listen to it all day long. Yet they can take or leave the lyrics, they don't agree with anything Morrissey says or does and they don't feel the need to kiss his arse on an internet forum.

Are you saying that person is not a "fan" of Morrissey like you are?
What do you want a badge or something?
You sound dangerously like one of those people who would go to frightening lengths to demonstrate to the artist that s/he is a true fan. Truer than any other fan alive.
Seriously, notions of purity when it comes to liking someone and "true" fandom is quite a slippery mental slope.
There are all kinds of fans just like they are all kinds of people. There is no purity of fandom and it isn't a spectrum running from "non fan" to "true fan".

This is probably going to run similar to the "vegans vs vegetarians" discussions I see in all the herbivore forums.

We should all just like what we wanna like and say what we wanna say as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. We all are equipped with the ability to scroll. :) Yaaaay!

But vegetarians hurt animals as much as carnivores. It's all the same industry. Males born into the dairy industry become veal. Male chicks in the egg industry are put into industrial blenders and killed by being grounded while alive, or suffocated in plastic bags. When they get too old, dairy cows end up at the same slaughter house as cows raised for meat. Vegetarianism makes no difference to the animals. Veganism is what makes a difference.

In other words, projects his or her own values and beliefs onto the words.

In other words, someone who holds different standards for Morrissey--excuses horrible behavior that would not be tolerated in others.

In other words, not you.

Yes, I do. Someone who appreciates well written lyrics and interesting musical arrangements. And who is also critical of Morrissey's crass and ignorant comments. Is capable and does separate the music from the man. Someone who is not an enabler of bad behavior but holds others, including Morrissey, accountable for his actions and statements. And most importantly, someone who does not have the emotional maturity of a thirteen year old.

As one of the many silent non-contributors to this site, gotta say, keene is a helluva annoying person that can get on your nerves. Listen dude, i don't like the haters here but you really take the grand prize for being an ass.

Carry on embarrass yourself.

As one of the many silent non-contributors to this site, gotta say, keene is a helluva annoying person that can get on your nerves. Listen dude, i don't like the haters here but you really take the grand prize for being an ass.

Carry on embarrass yourself.

Agree!

And an udder ting.
Liking the voice isn't just about the sound of the voice, it's what the singer does with his/her voice. The transmission of thought and emotion, etc. The creative use of the voice. By saying someone can't be a fan if they "just like the sound of the voice" is seriously under-appreciating what any voice - and Morrissey's voice in particular - can do.

I'm a massive fan of Maria Callas (yes, I is a gay) - I haven't got a clue what she's singing about half the time, but that isn't the point. It's the emotion, the music of the voice, the drama of the voice and everything else contained in that incredible instrument. Morrissey's voice is an instrument too and you seriously under-appreciate it if you can't accept that someone could be a true fan but only of the voice and nothing else.
Someone could be a huge Morrissey fan but only really care for the voice and frankly be a bit embarrassed by all the rest. I don't see why not.

And an udder ting.
Liking the voice isn't just about the sound of the voice, it's what the singer does with his/her voice. The transmission of thought and emotion, etc. The creative use of the voice. By saying someone can't be a fan if they "just like the sound of the voice" is seriously under-appreciating what any voice - and Morrissey's voice in particular - can do.

I'm a massive fan of Maria Callas (yes, I is a gay) - I haven't got a clue what she's singing about half the time, but that isn't the point. It's the emotion, the music of the voice, the drama of the voice and everything else contained in that incredible instrument. Morrissey's voice is an instrument too and you seriously under-appreciate it if you can't accept that someone could be a true fan but only of the voice and nothing else.
Someone could be a huge Morrissey fan but only really care for the voice and frankly be a bit embarrassed by all the rest. I don't see why not.

Ha, ha....your post reminds me of a swedish commercial i saw once...a family of five was tooling down the road chanting and singing to a gangster rap song about....anal rape. Finally someone translated and the stunned look on the faces of all family members was hilarious.

I can't understand why this is a question anyone could be arsed to respond to.
Is this a competition?
I can only speak for myself ofcourse but I buy the records and have a great time listening.
Why should I give a toss if that makes me a fan or an air conditioning unit (see what I did there?)

Back
Top Bottom