What now? A frank and open deep conversation

JM🇬🇧

Well ’Ard Member
Going into February, there is no clear sign of the unreleased being released.
The 40 years of Morrissey tour was cut too short, and the 20th anniversary shows have been cancelled.

Morrissey is currently in Zurich, we wish him a speedy recovery and hope he feels like himself soon.

The question now is, with no tours planned and no new release on the horizon, where does he go from here?

Would the best thing going forwards to have the new music released first, and then do a limited tour in the future when all’s well?
Rest and do nothing? (For now)

Or something completely different?

Last edited:
There hasn't been much interest in releasing his new music for 2+ years, and I don't see that magically changing unless Morrissey makes some concessions to a bigger label, or self-releases. The touring troubles late last year and this year certainly can't help the situation.

My guess is we are going into a quiet period of at least 6-8 months. Perhaps some sporadic live residencies late in the year, but I have to think major touring is off the table.

My biggest question is how many in the current band will bother to stick around.

1) I think his top priory should be to buy back bonfire, if he hasn't already. An update would on this would be nice.
2) Self release bonfire, if even small labels aren't interested.
3) After all this, he could consider doing a small UK tour later in the year after a long rest.

Similar to what I advised in the other thread about 'our list of demands', although polite requests rather than demands:

1. Buy back Bonfire.
2. Self release Bonfire in 2024.
3. Self release Without Music in 2025.

Get those songs out there. Other than that, chill and enjoy these last few decades of your life. Love the simple things of life. We're a long time dead.

2) Self release bonfire, if even small labels aren't interested.
I don’t know what ‘self release’ really involves so excuse my ignorance.
For artists that have done it before, what is the process for doing so?
Does it mean a digital only release, can they expect to make any money at all from doing it this way in terms of royalties?
What are the pro cons as opposed to signing with a label?

I don’t know what ‘self release’ really involves so excuse my ignorance.
For artists that have done it before, what is the process for doing so?
Does it mean a digital only release, can they expect to make any money at all from doing it this way in terms of royalties?
What are the pro cons as opposed to signing with a label?

self-release basically means you do it all internally with your team, as opposed to major-label backing.
so you'd need to promote and distribute the material yourself, through whatever means you think apporopriate.
i think the major problem with this plan for moz is that he thinks being on a major is necessary to promote the release.
which, in his case, certainly helps. we all know he is pretty crap at promoting his material in a positive way due to all the missteps he takes.
the plus side is that you keep all the royalies yourself. but he isn't willing to do the work so this is a stalemate.

self-release basically means you do it all internally with your team, as opposed to major-label backing.
so you'd need to promote and distribute the material yourself, through whatever means you think apporopriate.
i think the major problem with this plan for moz is that he thinks being on a major is necessary to promote the release.
which, in his case, certainly helps. we all know he is pretty crap at promoting his material in a positive way due to all the missteps he takes.
the plus side is that you keep all the royalies yourself. but he isn't willing to do the work so this is a stalemate.

I hadn’t read this before, I guess it gives you some insight into his view on this matter.

F: Have you ever been tempted to just cut out the middle man, so to speak, and release your new albums independently? I’ve seen several writers and fans online put forward the idea that cutting away from the labels and releasing the projects yourself might be an option – mainly because the labels seem to let you down a lot. Does this appeal to you, or would you rather release music in a more traditional way?

I wouldn’t do this because you undertake the same set-up but at a reduced level.

F: How so?

“You still need at least six people involved to grind the wheels and be fully in the “now,” but they won’t do anything without a cut. People don’t work for wages alone anymore! Therefore you might as well stay with the established labels.”

I honestly think he should retire… I still adore him, but its time to make it all stop…
If he wants to. Fine. Everyone deserves a well earned retirement. If he doesn't want to, that's fine too. Age is only a number.
But it would be a crime to not get those 2 unreleased albums out there.

1. Solid rest in Zurich (Sweden )
2. April 1, 2024 - Bonfire release on an independent label
3. 2/3 appearances at summer festivals
4. Autumn tour around Europe (Bonfire promotion plus the entire Quarry)
5. December - third attempt in South America plus the end of the tour in LA
6. March 13, 2025, WMTWD release on an independent label
7. The End of The World

:highfive:

I hadn’t read this before, I guess it gives you some insight into his view on this matter.

F: Have you ever been tempted to just cut out the middle man, so to speak, and release your new albums independently? I’ve seen several writers and fans online put forward the idea that cutting away from the labels and releasing the projects yourself might be an option – mainly because the labels seem to let you down a lot. Does this appeal to you, or would you rather release music in a more traditional way?

I wouldn’t do this because you undertake the same set-up but at a reduced level.

“You still need at least six people involved to grind the wheels and be fully in the “now,” but they won’t do anything without a cut. People don’t work for wages alone anymore! Therefore you might as well stay with the established labels.”
Yeah, but the established labels apparently are not interested. He could move forward on self-releasing any time he wanted... but it seems not releasing his music is preferable. So that leaves us at a standstill.

Interesting, positive ideas in this thread so far. I hope Morrissey will read it and be inspired. I don’t know what he ‘should’ do. I know what I want him to do. I want him to do what he wants to do, in his heart, whatever that may be. I hope for myself that he somehow gets those albums released.

Interesting, positive ideas in this thread so far. I hope Morrissey will read it and be inspired. I don’t know what he ‘should’ do. I know what I want him to do. I want him to do what he wants to do, in his heart, whatever that may be. I hope for myself that he somehow gets those albums released.
Interesting and positive is what I was going for.
It took me a whole couple of minutes to come up with this thread, and if any of the usual suspects think they can come in here with their usual tomfoolery then to paraphrase the great Quentin Tarantino
“I’m shutting their butt down!”
They can consider their butts well and truly shut.

I just won’t have it.

Last edited:
The music side of things seems to be giving him a headache. Perhaps a prose project for a change. Another novel, or maybe a play. He’s attempted teleplays and screenplays in the past (and after all Wilde found his voice in plays, so that might count for something there). The dialogue in List of the Lost is wonderfully unnaturalistic; I think Morrissey could write a play that would be almost impossible to perform but a delight to read.

I honestly think he should retire… I still adore him, but its time to make it all stop…
No such thing as retiring for a "lifer". He is an artist. He's going to keep creating art like he loves to do and is born to do.

That's like if a painter stops painting because he's getting too old. Nope, doesn't happen. As an artist you paint until you can't see or hold up your arm any longer. For him, he will sing and write until he can no longer can pick up a pen or sing a note. I don't see him ever stopping. Maybe stop touring, but never stop writing and recording music.

I wish his latest record didn't get hi-jacked, it's disgusting that it even happened.

----

Who knows where the future will take Morrissey and his fans. Speculating aside, all we can do is keep on moving forward and see what happens.
Whatever he does, I wish him the best. He's on my mind a lot.

"He knows I'd love to see him happy or as close as possible; as close as is allowed.."

Let me rephrase Mozz's statement so we all better understand what he meant.

"People will want to be paid and you know how well Johnny and i shafted Andy and Mike and i even did it by myself without Johnny to Stephen Street...... do you really think i'm going to pay some nobodies? hahahahaha"

Similar to what I advised in the other thread about 'our list of demands', although polite requests rather than demands:

1. Buy back Bonfire.
2. Self release Bonfire in 2024.
3. Self release Without Music in 2025.

Get those songs out there. Other than that, chill and enjoy these last few decades of your life. Love the simple things of life. We're a long time dead.

He should leak these online as an apology to his fans

Let me rephrase Mozz's statement so we all better understand what he meant.

"People will want to be paid and you know how well Johnny and i shafted Andy and Mike and i even did it by myself without Johnny to Stephen Street...... do you really think i'm going to pay some nobodies? hahahahaha"
Go play with your Barbie dolls.

I just hope he mends bridges. That's all. Mend a lifetime of broken bridges because life is really, really short. Sometimes it seems like Morrissey carries all this pent-up resentment and frustration against the whole world, he never lets anything go and it comes out in lyrics about oblivion, death and alienation. Forgive old ills and apologise for a few and life might look a bit different, Moz.

Back
Top Bottom