Morrissey Central "Witness To The World" (December 10, 2022)

But having material success doesn't promise that a person won't be miserable. Jesus, whom Morrissey seems to hold responsible, should've known that. (Matthew 4:8-10 & 16:26).

Morrissey perceives the sufferings of the world too acutely. It's a curse, and ignorance is bliss, and ignorance only comes with eternal rest.
Imagine how he feels when Yashua Ben Josef turns out not to be involved at all.

She seems to be saying that someone's suffering is worth it because someone else benefits. Sorry, Asian kid in the sweatshop or dairy cow in the factory farm, but the fortunate ones need their iPhones and Hermes bags and cheeseburgers, and "blessed is the grass," if you can comprehend such gooeyness.

No, I'm not buying that. "Life is a pigsty."
I didn't read it that way. I read it more as - if people have suffered themselves then they are more likely to want to help others, extend their hand. A bit like the 'wounded healer' idea.

Imagine how he feels when Yashua Ben Josef turns out not to be involved at all.

I'm sure he knows that. "Jesus" is just the personification from Morrissey's upbringing for whatever might be behind the veil. Morrissey knows, ultimately, that the universe is indifferent to suffering. "Nothing comes next," and the ledger is never balanced, and no one's misery is compensated for.

I didn't read it that way. I read it more as - if people have suffered themselves then they are more likely to want to help others, extend their hand. A bit like the 'wounded healer' idea.

Interesting. I haven't found that to be the case, though, generally. Everyone suffers, but not everyone wants to extend their hand, since the amount of cruelty perpetrated does not seem to correlate with that.

The lyrical themes from verse to chorus are a bit far removed from each other on Leggies 😂

I won't hide my love for Low in high school. I love every track. And I can't say that for every Moz album. I do find some enjoyment in every Moz song though, I take comfort in his voice and lyrics.
(y) At the end of the day, for me, and especially these days, it’s really about that voice, everything else comes second, or possibly third.
If I had to give up one Moz song for good. It would be Slum mums because he changes his singing style.

‘Change his singing style’ ? Do you mean the slap back/echo effect? or do you mean his delivery? which I quite like. No, I like this one. I wish they added some backing vocals on the beginning of the chorus line, make it more like a football chant, is how I’m hearing it. Nice overall sound on the production.
it’s Ganglord and Art-Hounds that I think are a bit overrated here on solo.

What do you make of the first two tracks on Low in high school? I think they pack a real punch, they rock.

Yes, the first six songs come out swinging!
And it’s probably why I find myself listening to Low more than World Peace.

For me, the weakest links are Who Will Protect Us, The Girl From, and Lap (in that order).

I can't say a live version of Jim Jim Falls is fresh in my mind. I'm sure I've had a listen but I'll bet I prefer the album version by a long shot. I love the techno feel it has. I can't see why they don't play those from the keyboards.
Yeah, it’s wiry electronics against Morrissey’s voice that makes it refreshing and exciting.

And I think the chorus of Jim Jim Falls is up there with the best of his choruses. It’s uplifting and should I dare say, has a commercial potential vibe about it, yes, even with those lyrics, lol.

i always post this fan made video, but for me, it really works with the song …

Same goes for Istanbul. I've never heard a live version even come close to the guitar in the album version.
Yeah, it’s difficult to replicate somethings live. I do like the songs studio production also.

In regards to artists, the ‘extended hand’ is their art work.

Unbeknownst to even the most nihilistic of artists, through their expression, is the reaching out, to help themselves, to help others and/or to find a place in a society that refuses to accept them, or at first commodify them.
It's a nice idea that there is a line of 'outsider' artists and poets going back into history who pass on the flame from one generation to the next...Morrissey definitely seems to believe in that idea.

It's a nice idea that there is a line of 'outsider' artists and poets going back into history who pass on the flame from one generation to the next...Morrissey definitely seems to believe in that idea.

yes. It’s definitely more than an ‘idea’. Inspirations drawn, to inspire/in-fire, the torch passed on.
Though it may have missed the recent generations, lol

In regards to artists, the ‘extended hand’ is their art work.

Unbeknownst to even the most nihilistic of artists, through their expression, is the reaching out, to help themselves, to help others and/or to find a place in a society that refuses to accept them, or at first commodify them.

That may be true of a few select artists, but I was speaking more broadly. It's just not the way of the world that everyone who suffers becomes empathetic. Just look at their eating habits. Most people only have a small circle that they're willing to care about; Morrissey is an exception. "Set me aside, you'll find people are the same everywhere."

That may be true of a few select artists, but I was speaking more broadly. It's just not the way of the world that everyone who suffers becomes empathetic. Just look at their eating habits. Most people only have a small circle that they're willing to care about; Morrissey is an exception. "Set me aside, you'll find people are the same everywhere."

Yes it’s true, that everyone who suffers doesn’t become empathetic. Empathy may not be the artist’s aim, but by bringing the work into the world, it may help others. It’s like, ‘look, I feel this way, do you feel this way too? then you’re not alone’. As one example.

Maybe I’m misreading you, but in regards to not eating animals, then yes, that simple action does help greatly, and of course his art has helped plenty and will continue to do so after he’s gone. Though, I don’t know how you see Morrissey as ‘the exception’ ? he’s human like the rest, far from perfect, and I’m sure he’s made mistakes and has hurt friends within his small circle.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m misreading you, but in regards to not eating animals, then yes, that simple action does help greatly, and of course his art has helped plenty and will continue to do so after he’s gone. Though, I don’t know how you see Morrissey as ‘the exception’ he’s human like the rest, far from perfect, and I’m sure has made mistakes and hurt friends within his small circle.

I don't think Morrissey is infallible. But his art expresses something uncommon, a greater sensitivity than most are capable of. It's something like how he can't even really enjoy "the royalties that bring luxuries" because he's cursed with "the squalor of the mind." He sees the ugliness of the world too acutely. I think that's why he should be permitted to rue the day he was born (if that's something he wants to do).

You saw sagacious Solomon
You know what came of him
To him, complexities seemed plain
He cursed the hour that gave birth to him
And saw that everything was vain
How great and wise was Solomon
The world, however, did not wait
But soon observed what followed on
It's wisdom that had brought him to this state
How fortunate the man with none

Yeah, it’s wiry electronics against Morrissey’s voice that makes it refreshing and exciting.

And I think the chorus of Jim Jim Falls is up there with the best of his choruses. It’s uplifting and should I dare say, has a commercial potential vibe about it, yes, even with those lyrics, lol.

i always post this fan made video, but for me, it really works with the song …

Yeah, it’s difficult to replicate somethings live. I do like the songs studio production also.

It should've been a single and could possibly have done well on the radio, especially during the covidian nonsense. I also find the song uplifting melodically and lyrically. Even the part where he sings "If you're gonna kill yourself then just kill yourself" to me he's proclaiming to the person "See it ain't so easy is it? So why not sing or live?"

(y) At the end of the day, for me, and especially these days, it’s really about that voice, everything else comes second, or possibly third.

‘Change his singing style’ ? Do you mean the slap back/echo effect? or do you mean his delivery? which I quite like. No, I like this one. I wish they added some backing vocals on the beginning of the chorus line, make it more like a football chant, is how I’m hearing it. Nice overall sound on the production.

For me, the weakest links are Who Will Protect Us, The Girl From, and Lap (in that order).

I'm not sure if its Moz just switching it up with lowering his voice on Slum Mums, or the studio tinkering with it 🤔 I find it a bit comical. I still like the song but its not a favourite.

I'll admit it, I even like sweetie pie. Have you heard that Kristeen Young track Sara get the baby? There is a vid on youtube of her performing it live in SF and it has had a profound effect on me 😆

I am the same, I listen to Low in high school more than World Peace.

Neal Cassady drops dead though, wow, it rocks. And the flamenco guitar at the end of staircase 🫶🏻, is some of the best guitar from the Moz band.

Anyone else notice that the title track for Dog On A Chain isn't really talked about much? I thought he would've played that one live actually.

Anyone else notice that the title track for Dog On A Chain isn't really talked about much? I thought he would've played that one live actually.
I mentioned a break on Home is a question mark towards the end and the lyrics are amazing.

I have a similar opinion of the song Dog on a chain: The dead are dead ice cold and hard, to were they can't be overcharged, they have no breath, they have no eyes, at least they won't be dying twice.

Up there with my favourite Moz lyrics.

I'm not sure if its Moz just switching it up with lowering his voice on Slum Mums, or the studio tinkering with it 🤔 I find it a bit comical. I still like the song but its not a favourite.

I'll admit it, I even like sweetie pie. Have you heard that Kristeen Young track Sara get the baby? There is a vid on youtube of her performing it live in SF and it has had a profound effect on me 😆

Neal Cassady drops dead though, wow, it rocks. And the flamenco guitar at the end of staircase 🫶🏻, is some of the best guitar from the Moz band.
If I'm being honest, I could listen to Morrissey sing the words from the pages of a phone book and still feel something wonderful.

I don't think Morrissey is infallible. But his art expresses something uncommon, a greater sensitivity than most are capable of.
Yes, agree
It's something like how he can't even really enjoy "the royalties that bring luxuries" because he's cursed with "the squalor of the mind." He sees the ugliness of the world too acutely. I think that's why he should be permitted to rue the day he was born (if that's something he wants to do).
Interesting, my interpretation was because of
these ‘royalties that bring luxuries’ the mind becomes neglected, unpleasant.
You saw sagacious Solomon
You know what came of him
To him, complexities seemed plain
He cursed the hour that gave birth to him
And saw that everything was vain
How great and wise was Solomon
The world, however, did not wait
But soon observed what followed on
It's wisdom that had brought him to this state
How fortunate the man with none

I agree that World Peace does have some great songs on it

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom