Morrissey Central "18 YEARS AGO TODAY" (March 27, 2024)

1000015643.jpg

Good Looking Man About Town is so great

Yes! one of those great ‘hidden’ b-sides.

I'm not running away
I'm running to
Corruption of the spirit isn't in it
For a good looking man about town

Are you afraid of someone alive?
Are you feeling heartbroken
Because you'll never be mistaken for a
Good looking man about town?

You got your degree
Then you flew to Mars
But you still feel wretched 'cause
You'll never be naked with a
Good looking man about town’

And another great Tobias co-write …

So what do you think I am?
And how precisely could you tell
A decent skin is all I am?
People think badly of me
But one day maybe they'll praise
Oh but meanwhile...

I knew I was next
And I didn't mind
Here I offer you my life for any debts you're due
And when you've been down for the very last time
There is nothing anyone can do to hurt you

The shadows of trees, they reach to me
They know a decent skin is all I am
People think badly of me
But when I'm in grave maybe they'll praise
Oh but meanwhile...’

TTY (2006):
"Sleeve photography for You Have Killed Me is by Fabio Lovino and shows M on a railroad track in the Pigneto zone of Rome."

For the film buffs:
The Visconti in the song is actually:
FWD.

18 years is just sick. I remember it like it was yesterday. It premiered on MySpace, right? I remember playing it over and over and over again on my then-girlfriend’s family’s computer. I then preordered the two CD-singles and fell madly in love with especially I Knew I Was Next. And yeah, that cover with M looking at his watch is maybe his best one ever. Absolutely magnificent.

To this day, YHKM is one of my all time favorite Morrissey A-sides. It was a glorious time to be a young Morrissey fan.

On the midnight streets
No moon and no stars
No one around to calm me down
And to soften the stings to my heart

The dream is sand in my hands
The dream becomes sand in my hands

Last edited:
The artwork, photography and font used during that era was superb, classy. Wish it stuck around.

yep remeberbuying this from woolies,think it was £2.99.as somebody above said it was a great time to be an M fan.did it not appear on true to you first because i remember coming in one monday night and playing it over and over.

Incidentally, when I stood in Piazza Cavour many years later, I also pondered what my life was for (and thought of Morrissey doing the same) - also keeping one eye open, as I knew he could potentially be around any corner.

yep remeberbuying this from woolies,think it was £2.99.as somebody above said it was a great time to be an M fan.did it not appear on true to you first because i remember coming in one monday night and playing it over and over.
I think it was MySpace! But the MySpace release was most likely announced on TTY.

On the midnight street
No moon and no stars
No one around to calm me down
And to soften the stings to my heart

The dream is sand in my hands
The dream becomes sand in my hands
Crushingly great lyricism.

Personally I found those sleeves a little laboured, and contrived. But then I’m not too keen on the Sunday sleeve either—similarly too knowing.

The Your Arsenal era artwork was the finest, and defining, for me. I consider the album image to be the greatest record sleeve of the nineties.

Back
Top Bottom