Acronyms

I mentioned this in another post but wanted to just say that I really do not like the current trend for turning all of Morrisseys songs in to acronyms.

Someone pointed out that it was probably the same people who would use the letter u for the word you and the number 4 for the word for!

I don't think Morrissey would be over enthused that his song titles were being turned in to, for example, WDYFOFY. I mean what on earth is that?

For me I am dismayed in general at the standard of English useage today, and although my spelling leaves a lot to be desired sometimes I do try to use words in full as this trend for text speak and acronyms is destroying the language.

This is not a dig at anyone, and I appreciate that people use these things for speed reasons. I just would prefer people used full titles and full words. If Moz wanted to call a song WDYFOFY then he would. If he wanted to become prince (as someone else pointed out) then he would have called "all you need is me" "all U need is me".

Anyway - rant over.

Hope U all are 4 me in this way of thinking.

TIALTNGO !!!!!

I don't think Morrissey would be over enthused that his song titles were being turned in to, for example, WDYFOFY. I mean what on earth is that?

I can't think of what WDYFOFY is off-hand, either. It'll come to me in a minute.....

However, if Morrissey himself was that concerned about his song titles being thus abbreviated, wouldn't he avoid giving his songs sentence-length titles in the first place?

Kate

Last edited:
I am not really saying about Moz having issues with it. I just think that part of Morrissey's appeal for me has always been song titles, album titles & lyrics and changing these de-values it for me.

Coupled with that the decline of the language thing is a bigger thing for me.

Why dont you find out for yourself by the way!

I am not really saying about Moz having issues with it. I just think that part of Morrissey's appeal for me has always been song titles, album titles & lyrics and changing these de-values it for me.

Coupled with that the decline of the language thing is a bigger thing for me.

Why dont you find out for yourself by the way!

I sympathise with your general point, but quick-fire communication, the life-blood of internet forums such as this, is tricky to reconcile with a reverence for the full glory of a lengthy song title.

Yes, it came to me, thanks - see my earlier edit.:)

At last, a normal person. I've always hated these letter combinations. It saves 12 seconds for the one who writes it, yet it takes me almost a minute to figure out the song.

At last, a normal person. I've always hated these letter combinations. It saves 12 seconds for the one who writes it, yet it takes me almost a minute to figure out the song.

Got it right there ok lol is ok but thats because who actually writes laugh out loud and most people that write lol aint even laughing anyway hehe. Erm I once saw LNIDTSLM and I was like what the F**K is that. I had to actually go through every Morrissey/Smiths song to find out what it was.

Last edited:
Well.. i think it's okay to abbreviate when you talk about a song and mention it many times, as long as you write the whole title the first time you mention it. It can save a lot of precious time and energy for a lousy typer like me.
I don't see how this can have an actual effect on how you feel about the songs. I agree it's annoying when people write acronyms without typing out the whole title first, I don't have a moz lexicon tattooed on my brain :confused:

what's the acronym for acronym?

ASBO would be a bugger to write out, let's hope Moz never writes a song with that in the title eh? :D

love

Grim

Hate to be pedantic, but one should always get the acronym correct or it causes confusion amongst the anoraks :confused: (though not me, obviously :D )

You put LNIDSLM
It should be LNIDTSLM

Jukebox Jury :)

hehe i put two T's in i must have deleted them both ill correct it now sorry I was trying to feed the cat at the same time

I mentioned this in another post but wanted to just say that I really do not like the current trend for turning all of Morrisseys songs in to acronyms.

Someone pointed out that it was probably the same people who would use the letter u for the word you and the number 4 for the word for!

For me I am dismayed in general at the standard of English useage today, and although my spelling leaves a lot to be desired sometimes I do try to use words in full as this trend for text speak and acronyms is destroying the language.

This is not a dig at anyone, and I appreciate that people use these things for speed reasons. I just would prefer people used full titles and full words. If Moz wanted to call a song WDYFOFY then he would. If he wanted to become prince (as someone else pointed out) then he would have called "all you need is me" "all U need is me".

Anyway - rant over.

Hope U all are 4 me in this way of thinking.

TIALTNGO !!!!!

I agree but not because of grammatical standards etc. It just takes longer to work out what flipping song people are referring to. The best way is just to shorten the song’s name e.g. say “there is a light” rather than TIALTNGO or “what difference’ rather than WDDIM.
There are around 200 songs now so it’s not easy working out what the initials stand for. Half the time I’m left thinking WTF!

I freakin hate that too. I don't even bother trying to figure them out anymore. I just skip over the post.

Back
Top Bottom