Action Is My Middle Name: What does it mean?

sammka

I've been listening over and over to "Action Is My Middle Name" and I like the song, but the lyrics are so opaque that it's so hard to figure out what it's about.

I've got a theory, though, that it's about Morrissey adopting a puppy.

Writing my initials into your neck
He's bought a collar for the puppy. It's a sort of a weird way of saying it, though, I have to say.

You are my possession, you don't realize yet
I kind of always figured that Morrissey would oppose the concept of owning animals, but legally he would be the owner of the puppy. The puppy, of course, doesn't realize it because she doesn't understand much about human laws.

Am I moving too fast for you? Am I beginning to confuse you?
Puppies have pretty stubby legs, so they'd have a pretty hard time keeping up with Morrissey on walkies. Also, they're not that bright so they're easily confused.

Action is my middle name, I can't waste time anymore
Morrissey has always advocated for animal rights, but now he's acting on it by saving a puppy from a shelter.

Everybody has a date with an undertaker, a date that they cannot break
I don't know what this has to do with adopting puppies, but apparently undertakers are really popular on OKCupid.

Tongue against tongue and we've only just begun
Morrissey is apparently one of those people who licks dogs back. I know they say that dogs have less harmful bacteria in their mouths than humans do, but I have to say I never could see the appeal of this.

Could I interest you in hours of fun?
Puppies are very playful and can chase frisbees around for hours. And yes, I'm sure that Morrissey could interest a puppy in hours of fun!

What does everyone think??

Re: Action Is My Middle Name: What does it mean???

I suppose it could be about puppies :confused: :o
though I thought it was more dealing with issues of a a sexual nature :blushing:

I've said it many times before, I'll say it again - "You Have Killed Me" is about Morrissey getting AIDS. Think about it....THINK about it.

I've said it many times before, I'll say it again - "You Have Killed Me" is about Morrissey getting AIDS. Think about it....THINK about it.
perhaps, but if so, I hope it is more along the lines of him considering the hypothetical possibility of him getting it :straightface:

It's sooooo obvious what this tune is about, you goofball!

After this tour, Morrissey is going become a carnivore!

He's going to buy a cow. (You are my possession, you don't realize yet).

The fanbase will go huh, what? (Am I moving too fast for you? Am I beginning to confuse you?)

He will slaughter the cow himself! (I can't waste time anymore, Everybody(cow) has a date with an undertaker)

He will eat the cow over the course of several days, starting with the head flesh! (Tongue (Mozzer's) against tongue (cooked heifers) and we've only just begun, Could I interest you in hours of fun?)

"yes I walk around somehow"

Yeah its deffo about AIDS we all know what of a bugger that can be to shift, what with it being a wasting disease an' all.

It's sooooo obvious what this tune is about, you goofball!

After this tour, Morrissey is going become a carnivore!

He's going to buy a cow. (You are my possession, you don't realize yet).

The fanbase will go huh, what? (Am I moving too fast for you? Am I beginning to confuse you?)

He will slaughter the cow himself! (I can't waste time anymore, Everybody(cow) has a date with an undertaker)

He will eat the cow over the course of several days, starting with the head flesh! (Tongue (Mozzer's) against tongue (cooked heifers) and we've only just begun, Could I interest you in hours of fun?)

:eek:

perhaps, but if so, I hope it is more along the lines of him considering the hypothetical possibility of him getting it :straightface:

I hope so too, or that it's actually about some sort of psychological reaction he had. I want Morrissey to live to 90+.

It's about being in a hurry to get things going... relationship wise.

He's taking action... it's his middle name... he's being assertive.

He doesn't have time to hesitate... life is short... seize the day.

If it's about puppies, then I am Santa Claus.

mind-blown

It's not surprising that so many people have misheard the title of the song but, in actual fact, it's a coded reassurance to his followers that his recent comments about UKIP are part of some wider plan, and he remains as committed as ever to the principle of continued European integration. Ashton is his middle name, as in Catherine Ashton, the EU vice president.

The lyrics are mainly a list of what Morrissey sees as the benefits that British people have derived from the various European institutions: the right to consensual sado-masochistic practices (such as biting letters of the alphabet into your partner's flesh); protection for undertakers from the blight of late cancellations; the ability to buy people without them knowing (although I don't think Morrissey has this one quite right); compulsory French kissing on a first date. The introduction of the Working Time Directive means literally that people can no longer waste time - you have to do your job efficiently because, once you get to 48 hours, that's it. Morrissey appears to acknowledge, though, that his unbridled enthusiasm for the European project, coupled with his near-encyclopaedic knowledge of treaties, Directives and so on (gained through "hours of fun" at the europa.eu portal site), can lead to him gabbling on without pausing for breath and completely confusing his interlocutors whenever conversation turns to the latest rulings out of Strasbourg.

It's obvious when you think about it, although I can see how the puppy theory would seem plausible to anyone not aware of the context.

Last edited:

It's not surprising that so many people have misheard the title of the song but, in actual fact, it's a coded reassurance to his followers that his recent comments about UKIP are part of some wider plan, and he remains as committed as ever to the principle of continued European integration. Ashton is his middle name, as in Catherine Ashton, the EU vice president.

The lyrics are mainly a list of what Morrissey sees as the benefits that British people have derived from the various European institutions: the right to consensual sado-masochistic practices (such as biting letters of the alphabet into your partner's flesh); protection for undertakers from the blight of late cancellations; the ability to buy people without them knowing (although I don't think Morrissey has this one quite right); compulsory French kissing on a first date. Morrissey acknowledges, though, that his unbridled enthusiasm for the European project, coupled with his near-encyclopaedic knowledge of treaties, Directives and so on, can lead to him gabbling on without pausing for breath and completely confusing his interlocutors whenever conversation turns to the latest rulings out of Strasbourg.

It's obvious when you think about it, although I can see how the puppy theory would seem plausible to anyone not aware of the context.

:squiffy:

Why do people see things that aren't there and tend to over-analyze everything?

Occam's razor is a principle of parsimony, economy, or succinctness. It states that among competing hypotheses, the one that makes the fewest assumptions should be selected.

The lyrics are mainly a list of what Morrissey sees as the benefits that British people have derived from the various European institutions: the right to consensual sado-masochistic practices (such as biting letters of the alphabet into your partner's flesh); protection for undertakers from the blight of late cancellations; the ability to buy people without them knowing (although I don't think Morrissey has this one quite right); compulsory French kissing on a first date. The introduction of the Working Time Directive means literally that people can no longer waste time - you have to do your job efficiently because, once you get to 48 hours, that's it. Morrissey appears to acknowledge, though, that his unbridled enthusiasm for the European project, coupled with his near-encyclopaedic knowledge of treaties, Directives and so on (gained through "hours of fun" at the europa.eu portal site), can lead to him gabbling on without pausing for breath and completely confusing his interlocutors whenever conversation turns to the latest rulings out of Strasbourg.

WOW thanks Cornflakes! I am not up to speed on British politics so I totally missed all of that. I didn't realize undertakers in the UK were having such a hard time these days.

But what if it's BOTH? Like layers of meaning? The puppy could be a metaphor for the State.

:squiffy:

Why do people see things that aren't there and tend to over-analyze everything?

Occam's razor is a principle of parsimony, economy, or succinctness. It states that among competing hypotheses, the one that makes the fewest assumptions should be selected.

Only if the assumptions are plausible, though. Your interpretation requires Morrissey to be in a relationship with another human being. And if it were about relationships, what would the tongue line be about??? Gross!

I'm going with puppies.

Only if the assumptions are plausible, though. Your interpretation requires Morrissey to be in a relationship with another human being. And if it were about relationships, what would the tongue line be about??? Gross!

I'm going with puppies.

Seriously, how old are you? If it were about relationships what would the tongue line be about???

The tongue line may be a play on dancing cheek to cheek, arm in arm, hand in hand. Tongue against tongue doesn't have to be sexual. It can be about a conversation, communication, an exchange of words... language... connectedness.

Tongue against tongue and we've only just begun
Morrissey is apparently one of those people who licks dogs back. I know they say that dogs have less harmful bacteria in their mouths than humans do, but I have to say I never could see the appeal of this.

And that is not gross! :sick:

Realitybites how have you made it thus far without even having a basic grasp of sarcasm?

You are a Morrissey fan for f*** sake!

Yeah we all really think that the song is really about puppies or eating a cow, really we do. I'm serious, we totally do. It's not totally about a relationship at all, it's really about a puppy or eating a cow. I swear it is, puppy or eating a cow, don't fight it. It's true. Puppy/cow, not longing for a relationship which Moz has written about since 1983. Seriously puppy/cow. Cowpup. Pupco. Copu? Copu-late? Copulate! Copulation! Holy f***, you were right Realitybites! Bravo!

Seriously, how old are you? If it were about relationships what would the tongue line be about???

The tongue line may be a play on dancing cheek to cheek, arm in arm, hand in hand. Tongue against tongue doesn't have to be sexual. It can be about a conversation, communication, an exchange of words... language... connectedness.

tumblr_mgcsdz5vtz1rp8efao1_250.gif

Photo%20Aug%2020%2C%2011%2043%2015%20PM.gif

Realitybites how have you made it thus far without even having a basic grasp of sarcasm?

You are a Morrissey fan for f*** sake!

Yeah we all really think that the song is really about puppies or eating a cow, really we do. I'm serious, we totally do. It's not totally about a relationship at all, it's really about a puppy or eating a cow. I swear it is, puppy or eating a cow, don't fight it. It's true. Puppy/cow, not longing for a relationship which Moz has written about since 1983. Seriously puppy/cow. Cowpup. Pupco. Copu? Copu-late? Copulate! Copulation! Holy f***, you were right Realitybites! Bravo!

Now, that's a bingo!

Back
Top Bottom