Billy Bragg doing Never Had No One Ever

I prefer this version to the original to be honest. I think the original is rather boring as it happens.

I recently got hold of the album this version came from. The Smiths Is Dead -the Queen Is Dead with each track covered by a different band. This & the Divine Comedy's There Is A Light are works of genius while I'd quite happily stab Bis to death for what they did to Boy With The Thorne In His Side.

The funniest song on there is the Placebo version of Bigmouth Strikes Again in which they replace 'Walkman' with more modern references, namely ' Discman' & Mega Drive!

I'm not one for Billy's politics. However he has written some of best love songs. "Must I Paint You A Picture" being one of them. I seldom call artists poets, unless they are, but Billy's love songs are as close to poetry as you'll get in music.

My favourite version of a Bragg song (co-written by Marr) is this one, which I may have posted before, by the disgustingly talented Daniel Earwicker. I'll never get tired of listening to this.

P.

Last edited by a moderator:
So long as you avoid songs like "there is power in a union" and "right wing wrong wing" you'll be alright.

Agree, he's made a lot of shite but a lot of good stuff too if the shite doesn't put you off. I thought this was at least ten times worse than the original mind. I've heard people say they found this song boring before but never did myself.

The funniest song on there is the Placebo version of Bigmouth Strikes Again in which they replace 'Walkman' with more modern references, namely ' Discman' & Mega Drive![/QUOTE]

Moz does this on Live at Earls Court.

The funniest song on there is the Placebo version of Bigmouth Strikes Again in which they replace 'Walkman' with more modern references, namely ' Discman' & Mega Drive!

Moz does this on Live at Earls Court.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if more dated songs will get a face lift ... "Hold on to your facebook friends"

Moz does this on Live at Earls Court.[/QUOTE]

Indeed he does. So in seven years we went from 'Discman' to 'iPod' I wonder what it'll be in another seven years.

My favourite version of a Bragg song (co-written by Marr) is this one, which I may have posted before, by the disgustingly talented Daniel Earwicker. I'll never get tired of listening to this.

P.

Are you sure Marr co-wrote 'Greetings To The New Brunette'?

To anyone who liked this version of 'Never Had No One Ever', Billy Bragg has also done covers of 'Back To The Old House' and 'Jeane'.

I have take the opposite position to most of the posts here, his politics are pretty sound but I can't stand his singing voice. In fact I was pretty disappointed to see how many people professed to dislike his politics, this presumably places them on the right of the political spectrum? How sad.

Are you sure Marr co-wrote 'Greetings To The New Brunette'?

To anyone who liked this version of 'Never Had No One Ever', Billy Bragg has also done covers of 'Back To The Old House' and 'Jeane'.

I can't remember if he co-wrote it or just played on it. Marr did co-write The Boy Done Good of Bragg's which is one of the great lost singles in my view.

I'd heard Billy's version of Jeane before I heard the original & he does it really well. Back To The Old House he does less well!

Although for the best Bragg/Marr collaboration try to find their version of 'A Lover Sings' Marr intersperses the riff from This Charming Man into it. It's a work of art. As is their version of Walk Away Renee.

Last edited:
I have take the opposite position to most of the posts here, his politics are pretty sound but I can't stand his singing voice. In fact I was pretty disappointed to see how many people professed to dislike his politics, this presumably places them on the right of the political spectrum? How sad.

You'd have to go some to be on the left of Billy to be fair.

I can't remember if he co-wrote it or just played on it. Marr did co-write The Boy Done Good of Bragg's which is one of the great lost singles in my view.

I'd heard Billy's version of Jeane before I heard the original & he does it really well. Back To The Old House he does less well!

Although for the best Bragg/Marr collaboration try to find their version of 'A Lover Sings' Marr intersperses the riff from This Charming Man into it. It's a work of art. As is their version of Walk Away Renee.

Oh, Man. Don't Walk Away Renee is utter beauty in Marr's hands.

P.

Oh, Man. Don't Walk Away Renee is utter beauty in Marr's hands.

P.

beautiful indeed - just a shame it had to be ruined by some gormless cockney monologue!
actually, I do quite like a few of William's songs - here's his (official) top 10.

1. This tank park salute
2. The busy girl buys beauty
3. I am the milkman of human kindness
4. She's got a new spell (that's how I know)
5. St Swithin's Day
6. La la la la (means I love you)
7. And love gets dangerous
8. Between the wars
9. Cindy of a thousand lives
10. Moving the goalposts

Back
Top Bottom