Brigitte Calls Me Baby

I don’t know - I don’t hate it.
Is it so bad to be heavily influenced by someone great?
If you’re cut from the same cloth as someone you admire, you may as well just be yourself and embrace the similarities rather than try to be deliberately different to avoid comparison.

Just listened and I quite like it, too! (Although actually think his voice is a little too much on this track.) It is crazily derivative, of course, but no more so than Oasis were, back in the day.

Just listened and I quite like it, too! (Although actually think his voice is a little too much on this track.) It is crazily derivative, of course, but no more so than Oasis were, back in the day.
Suppose Moz's vocals do owe a debt to Sparks, so nobody is perfect or innocent. Even the lyrics seem a bit Moz-like subject-wise, though with none of his writing talent.

The general subject matter about being driven mad by temptation reminds me of I Want The One I Can't Have. The first few lines seems like Girl Afraid. 'I am only human' is a How Soon Is Now sorta-lift. 'My heart is numb' reminds me of Now My Heart Is Full. The 'haunted dreams' bit is right out of All You Need Is Me, as is 'But now I'm all you want.' As for the jangling guitars, welllll...

Overall, this is a real knockoff pastiche in every way. Ho-hum.

"Oh, don't you sit there lookin' at me while
I'm lookin' at you because I don't know what you want me to do
Conversations easier said than done
The temptation better if it was gone
What goes around must come around
So when I go I'll come around again
But I am only human but I'm capable of the
Things that you thought weren't capable
The temptation better if it was gone
So when I'm gone I'll surely be back again
Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh my heart is numb
Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh my head is numb
Oh, my god
I am home
Multiply the things you thought you wanted
When you were young and thought that you had fallen
But now I'm all you want and your blood is clotted
And you can't fall asleep 'cuz your dreams are haunted
So when I'm dead I'll come around again
But I am only human but I'm capable of the things
That you thought weren't capable
The temptation better if i was gone
So when I'm gone I'll come around again
Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, my heart is numb
Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, my head is numb
Oh, my god
I am home
Oh, God
My head is numb
Oh, God
My heart is numb
Oh, my god
Oh, my god
I am home
Oh, my god
I am home"

Last edited:
The guy had been playing Elvis in a stage production for four years. I hear way more 60s Elvis in him than Morrissey, and it actually makes me realize how much Mozz sounds like he is emulating Elvis, and that 60s style crooner in general. Now there are some Morrissey lifts, a few lyrically and singing style on a track or two-but it's way, way more Elvis. And he is a very good singer. Hoping his lyrics improve a bit, but there is some promise. They are going to be big.

The guy had been playing Elvis in a stage production for four years. I hear way more 60s Elvis in him than Morrissey, and it actually makes me realize how much Mozz sounds like he is emulating Elvis, and that 60s style crooner in general. Now there are some Morrissey lifts, a few lyrically and singing style on a track or two-but it's way, way more Elvis. And he is a very good singer. Hoping his lyrics improve a bit, but there is some promise. They are going to be big.
Yeah, I guess I hear Elvis in a pop style... which to me describes Smiths Morrissey from MiM on. I remember way back in late 1987 hearing Shoplifters on the radio with my friend and his dad who was a musician/singer (not familiar with The Smiths) and I got excited and said this is that band I like! He listened for a moment and said "...that singer has an Elvis thing going on." He meant it as a compliment as he was a big Elvis fan. Anyway, the title "Impressively Average" is very Morrissey for sure. I don't hate it.

Back in the mid 2000’s, there was a Swedish band from Gothenburg called Boys. They were extremely influenced by Morrissey (too much so, some would say). The singer, Erik Gregorsson, even lifted a few (a lot… 😬) of Moz’ vocal traits. I thought they were pretty great at what they did, and BCMB remind me of Boys.

Excellent set from these young guys:

Tracks:
  1. Fine Dining
  2. Rearview Mirror
  3. I Wanna Die In The Suburbs
  4. You Are Only Made Of Dreams
  5. Eddie My Love
  6. Cosmic Telephone
  7. I’m Still Here
  8. There Always
  9. Palm Of Your Hand
  10. The Future Is Our Way Out
Musicians:
  • Jeremy Benshish – drums
  • Jack Fluegel – guitar
  • Wes Leavins – vocals
  • Trevor Lynch – guitar
  • Devin Wessels – bass

Excellent set from these young guys:

Tracks:
  1. Fine Dining
  2. Rearview Mirror
  3. I Wanna Die In The Suburbs
  4. You Are Only Made Of Dreams
  5. Eddie My Love
  6. Cosmic Telephone
  7. I’m Still Here
  8. There Always
  9. Palm Of Your Hand
  10. The Future Is Our Way Out
Musicians:
  • Jeremy Benshish – drums
  • Jack Fluegel – guitar
  • Wes Leavins – vocals
  • Trevor Lynch – guitar
  • Devin Wessels – bass

Dear god, the singer is wearing purple trousers! And at least half of those song titles are inadvertent comedy classics:

Fine Dining.
I Wanna Die In The Suburbs.
Cosmic Telephone.
You Are Only Made Of Dreams.
The Future Is Our Way Out.

Poor old Jez, Wes, Trev, Dev, and...Jack. Wes should change last names with Devin and be Wes Wessels. Devin Leavins would look quite good too, sorta-rhymes and has two names with the letters 'e' and, 'i,' 'v' and 'n' in them, in the order 'vin.' This is how I judge good, solid quality music. Laughing here, but not maliciously. Just on a wee wind-up, keep yer knickers untwisted, please and thank you. 😊

Last edited:
Just caught these guys live tonight. Absolutely stellar: I see so much potential. Here are some shots I got
03DDF7CB-9BA8-46F4-8BD0-3CFF32AE70C6.jpeg
203EE7AE-ADC4-4792-9605-A3DC3585F654.jpeg
2DC1B8E0-69B9-4018-8DB1-3C79A66CF7EC.jpeg
0CB71D2D-5C16-440B-801C-AD688941D348.jpeg
A312D137-7ABF-45E5-837C-A274F927187C.jpeg

Thanks for posting, never heard of them before, but mildly obsessed with 2 songs of them, hopefully they get more out. At first I was skeptical, because of the Elvis-sounding voice, but somehow it works. That kid's a looker, too!

From what I’ve heard, M is a fan. A certain user on this website who knows Ryan told me that M sent him a video of them. If that’s to be believed!
Interesting 🤔! M sent whom a video of them? Ryan as in Ryan Lowry?
Anyway - would be a great support act for M, when he hopefully does any future touring

Anyway - would be a great support act for M, when he hopefully does any future touring

jeez, I hope not. A little too on the nose when he has these kind of replicants open for him. Would prefer a drag act that would rub most of his fans the wrong way. Lol.

Having said that. There’s something of a Roy Orbison quiver in this band’s singer’s voice. Otherwise there’s no danger, which is something I always gravitate towards in the choice of my listening experience.

Back
Top Bottom