Do you like "Sweetie-Pie" ?

Do you like "Sweetie-Pie" ?

• Total voters

Belligerent Ghoul

Hall of Famer
KMCute.jpg

Last edited:
a grower.

I like it. When I first heard it, "Interlude" came to mind (Morrissey/Sioux duet). This is actually a better collaboration; Young's and Morrissey's voices are better contrasts against each other.

Why is everyone making such a big deal about the music? It's a nice tribute to the old-school moog synth style of the early 70s with a romantic croon on top. John Cage, anyone?

Say that three times fast.

What a complete waste of time this drone of a dirge is apart from miss Young's chirps it would be lifeless.

Well, I get the impression it started out as something very, very different. Mike Farrell is credited with the music, and there are credits for guitars, but I think what's happened is another Golden Lights scenario - a song that started out OK has been twisted into something very different. Tony Visconti said "“Sweetie Pie” has turned into a macabre dreamscape. It started as a lush ballad back in Rome and has evolved into something quite different. Kristeen Young’s voice made it into the final mix, I’m proud to say."

Peter

I can't stand it.. after a few listens I can't imagine ever enjoying it. The main problem is the background interference. It's not even like the background interference you get from The Jesus and Mary Chain, I think it's terrible. However, I have disliked Moz songs more than this and now love them so who knows? Probably the worst thing he's done since Maladjusted though..

I honestly think Kristeen Young's vocals are the best thing about it actually.

I have gone for not really. It is too early for me to say not having heard it much. I just think that as a whole release the fourth single needed something special along the lines of the better Quarry B-sides and this it lacks. The live versions apart from being 4 years old and not new tracks are available on the vinyl versions and not on the cd. He has played so much this year that I simply cannot understand why live versions of songs played four years ago are making the grade now. His B-sides used to matter, and not just to us to him too. This makes no sense to me why not release two cd singles and one tour related souvenir type picture disc? Not a very good move commercially and I do hope that if he is looking for another record company to take him on that he "forgets" to mention Sweetie Pie! I will persevere with Sweetie but I would rather listen to almost anything else he's done than try to accept that track.

I can stand it at all but atleast it's something new and different from the rest of his catalogue. Kristeens backing vocals, however, could have been done better by me.

Ghoulie, who's the girl?

Yes, I loved it straightaway!
This is the kind of song I've been hoping him to do since I started listening to the man. Wonderful!

To compare the music with something, it sort of reminds me of Mercury Rev.

Well, I get the impression it started out as something very, very different. Mike Farrell is credited with the music, and there are credits for guitars, but I think what's happened is another Golden Lights scenario - a song that started out OK has been twisted into something very different. Tony Visconti said "“Sweetie Pie” has turned into a macabre dreamscape. It started as a lush ballad back in Rome and has evolved into something quite different. Kristeen Young’s voice made it into the final mix, I’m proud to say."

Peter

As much as I think it's a grower the idea of this as a "lush ballad" hits the spot.

I haven't got a f***ing clue!

Just listened to it for the 1st time, it's probably one of the weirdest Morrissey tracks and one of the few I can't make up my mind about. Sayinjg that, I quite like the experimental aspect to it, it reminds me of 'Like Spinning Plates' by Radiohead or 'Starsailor' by Tim Buckley. However, can't see me listening to it much in the future. Morrissey will spend the rest of his career untroubled by bawled requests for it at live shows.

Back
Top Bottom