Fiona Dodwell: “Truth-Tellers Silenced” (December 29, 2023)

Another day, another Fiona piece…

Some nice new photos by Ryan Lowry included:
A8A5E590-29AF-4E62-A112-240AC919E80E.jpeg
CB86CEFB-F275-4E63-B945-5D7348C831CE.jpeg

Second photo from Fiona Dodwell tweet (link posted by Famous when dead):

UPDATE Dec. 31:

Slightly different color version posted by Juan / Instagram. Link posted by Famous when dead (original post):

full

Last edited by a moderator:
“A man who was once a figurehead for society’s poetic outsiders is now proudly recasting himself as brave truth-teller staring defiantly down the barrel of media crucifixion and cancel culture, saying what ‘everyone’ is really thinking.”

“I see no point in being nice,” he asserts on the title track, a classic indie jig resembling the ‘Vicar In A Tutu’ (if the vicar logged on to Twitter using a handle featuring a dozen numbers and a Moscow location). “I use my own brain,” he croons, declaring that “maybe I’ll be skinned alive by [fur coat producers] Canada Goose because of my views”, before attacking the bad old mainstream media: “Listen out to what’s not shown to you and there you find the truth”.

From NME’s review of IANADOAC

Save a click:

TRUTH-TELLERS SILENCED

Why artists like Morrissey are suppressed and censored…

It seems somehow fitting, that in our world, we are becoming more and more deprived of true honesty, integrity and originality in art. There is a deliberate suppression of those who have something real to say. We see it time and time again. What are publishing houses trying to hide? What are music labels so afraid of? What do they not want us to hear? No longer are our artists invested in because of the quality of their output. Never have the press supported talent — indeed, one is more likely to be a darling of the media if compliant, comfortable and obedient. Talent, then, appears to be low on the radar and an inconsequential trait. If you say the right thing and pose the right way, you’ll be fine. If you cross that line, if you say things that are uncomfortable to hear, you’ll be punished. And what is left, then, for the artist, amongst the debris of these attacks on their personality, and suppression by an industry that should be rallying behind them?

Artists are, perhaps, the last amongst us who have a voice that can touch upon truth and reach millions of people through the medium of music. Music has been a catalyst for so much change, and at times, has been a loaded bullet aimed at society and those in power. Music shakes things up. It wakes us up from our comfortable slumber and makes us think. It inspires us, moves us, changes us. It’s a powerful tool in the right hands.

When discussing such issues, it is impossible not to think of an artist like Morrissey. He serves -sadly- as a symbol of these things. There is a sad inevitability to the suppression he has faced. His journey has never been an easy one and his fans know this. When you dare to say it how it is, when you refuse to filter your thoughts, when your creativity serves as an outlet that often challenges the status quo rather than placates, you will always be seen as a threat. Morrissey, after four decades of writing music, with over 13 million albums sold and endless sold-out world tours, faces being discarded from the very industry that should be celebrating, honouring and promoting him. His current lack of label support is a repellent act and only serves to make the world of music a stagnant and dull place.

There is no fairness in such a predicament, for artist or his audience. We must cling to those who swim against the tide, for once we lose them and their voice, we lose it all. The game will be over. There will be no room for true freedom and challenges to what we are being told. Society will become number and dumber…perhaps this is what those in power want? Surely there is no easier way to create an obedient society than to shun those with something intelligent to say. Heaven forbid we are allowed to think.

We all cling to hope, though. As we have seen, Morrissey’s music continues to touch lives everyday. There is a reason he has become the legend he has, and there is a reason why, despite the trials he has faced, he will remain loved. Always. True art lives on, and it transforms everything. True art will never be destroyed. This in itself will provide us, eternally, with hope.

One inescapable and final truth: any artists of the future who have something real to say, will only have a voice to do so because of trailblazers who have fought and paved the way

Aside from repeating her usual stuff which is arguably rubbish, it baffles me just how bad her writing is. Very trite and melodramatic.

“A man who was once a figurehead for society’s poetic outsiders is now proudly recasting himself as brave truth-teller staring defiantly down the barrel of media crucifixion and cancel culture, saying what ‘everyone’ is really thinking.”

“I see no point in being nice,” he asserts on the title track, a classic indie jig resembling the ‘Vicar In A Tutu’ (if the vicar logged on to Twitter using a handle featuring a dozen numbers and a Moscow location). “I use my own brain,” he croons, declaring that “maybe I’ll be skinned alive by [fur coat producers] Canada Goose because of my views”, before attacking the bad old mainstream media: “Listen out to what’s not shown to you and there you find the truth”.

From NME’s review of IANADOAC
Ironic because if Moz had been truly silenced - ever - then perhaps he wouldn't have been able to ruin his career in the spectacular way that he has.

Thanks to the fact that Morrissey can't keep his mouth closed, though, or handle any conflict with the slightest restraint and dignity, he has shown the public a person who repeatedly tells lies, targets individual music industry executives and journalists, uses his official website to platform YouTube conspiracy nuts, shows contempt to fans and inexplicably waits five years to try and clarify the For Britain situation - which looks more and more like a mess he got himself into just to look 'edgy'. There are times when I hope the rumours are true and that he does spend his waking hours in a vodka stupor because he sounds more unhinged by the day.

"He serves—sadly—as a symbol of these things. There is a sad inevitability ... "

I thought she was married. Doesn't she have a spouse or someone who can proof-read? Or are they sick as we are of reading about Morrissey's unfair persecution for the thousandth time?

It's the age old dilemma of who looks where in group photos. In the new pic they went with 3 looking at the camera and 3 down the street.

what exactly is morrissey “fighting for”? she writes as if he’s had to sit in the back of the bus and fight for his freedom. he’s a white dude acting like the world is against him when, in fact, he’s the one making it hard for him to succeed in the current music industry. it seems like he has already beat all the levels of the industry and he has all the comforts in life plus he has more opportunities most of us will never have in this lifetime. cool photos though.
Morrissey IS the Rosa Parks of pop music

I wouldn't call Morrissey a 'truth teller'. This is the guy who lied about 'Bonfire' being held hostage by his label, when it was his own damn fault it wasn't released in the first place.
No, it was Miley’s. She stands in the way of great music. 😠

Aside from repeating her usual stuff which is arguably rubbish, it baffles me just how bad her writing is. Very trite and melodramatic.

I skimmed a few lines and as soon as I saw “every day” written as “everyday” I stopped reading.

Can he tell us the truth when he cancels gigs.

No. His way of life as a contrarian doesn’t allow this, no matter how out of touch or spiteful it makes him look.

But are they really "wonderful" photos? I think most would disagree.
Johnnie, you’re hilarious when you don’t even want to be! With your always slightly downtrodden, general disgruntled-ness. I hope for your sake that your dissatisfied complaints aren’t the only thing keeping you warm at night, lol!

Morrissey is an exceptional human on the inside - and quite scandalously delicious on the outside

Naturally in this Fiona's stink piece there is no indication whatsoever as to what truth Morrissay has been trying to say that has got him silenced. He's just an aging artist in artistical decline and prone for saying ill-considered things. The world doesn't owe him a record contract.
Exactly this. No one has silenced him, his former fan-base have voted with their wallets, and that is the full extent of this 'conspiracy'.

I think this is the 17th time she has said the same thing with slightly different words.

It's more like just a truth teller, a single one. The other musicians bums, do they even counts? Even speak or think?

The article makes some good points. The thrust of it, about people who say inconvenient things being silenced, is a theme played out in a book I just read, Beasts of England, which models itself on Orwell's Animal Farm while incorporating current developments. Pretty clever.

Morrissey's getting very little press these days. Over Christmas visiting relatives I was quite surprised to spy a magazine with Morrissey on the cover put by in a box. I reached for it, asking where they got them? You left them behind! was the reply! Probably when I was between moves. Two magazines, The Word from February 2008, and Q! from March 2006. The Word interview covers all previous eras and features writing by Andrew Collins, Cath Carroll, William Shaw, Adrian Deevoy, Stuart Maconie, Len Brown, Andrew Harrison: contents page as shown.

Q's special Manchester issue includes a big spread. The covers and links are at https://illnessasart.com/magazine-covers/

It was different then. However, few can boast so many years of regular and fervent media interest. Morrissey can surely afford to relax and luxuriate in this fact. That would be the wish, whatever happens next. Music journalists, along with all other kinds, are more nervous now, operating under accumulating chill factors. His name appearing in print again without biased labels would indicate a more tolerant and balanced social environment in general.

Viva Moz! :newspaper:📣

Print media is going the way of the Dodo. Have you seen the price of magazines these days? In the UK, there is literally only one high st outlet for magazines (WH Smiths) and they've reduced the number of mags they sell.

Print media is going the way of the Dodo. Have you seen the price of magazines these days? In the UK, there is literally only one high st outlet for magazines (WH Smiths) and they've reduced the number of mags they sell.
Apparently the NME is returning in print, in a monthly format. Although I understand it will come at a ‘premium’ price which targets ‘collectors’ (much like the vinyl revival).

usual suspects slashing their wrists everytime fee posts something,if you dont like her which most of you dont then dont read a word of anything she writes.

the old high street outlet for buying magazines has moved to supermarkets,you can buy every magazine under the sun in tesco these days.there isnt the demand for musc magazines anymore,why pay over the odds for a mag when you can read most of the content online.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom