Fiona Dodwell: "The Mythology Of Morrissey" (November 16, 2021)

1_-bn_g7an3bTH58zeZszaQA.jpeg

The evolution of an artist who became the most misunderstood and misrepresented icon of our time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feel sorry for the rest of the band as through no fault of their own, their careers are over as well.
It will impact, but it’s not inevitably the end of the road: I’ll be amongst the thousands watching the Happy Mondays next week, and I doubt our enjoyment will be diminished by by their historical misdemeanours.

Fingers crossed, I’ll get to see Tyson Fury next year and I will unapologetically love it/him. But I remember the pitch-black, poisonous, YouTube content before his media makeover.

Most people aren’t looking to social media for moral guidance—and still more don’t expect celebrities to be any different to the wider population: it’s only a media complicit with its own myth that says it’s any other way.

It will impact, but it’s not inevitably the end of the road: I’ll be amongst the thousands watching the Happy Mondays next week, and I doubt our enjoyment will be diminished by by their historical misdemeanours.

Fingers crossed, I’ll get to see Tyson Fury next year and I will unapologetically love it/him. But I remember the pitch-black, poisonous, YouTube content before his media makeover.

Most people aren’t looking to social media for moral guidance—and still more don’t expect celebrities to be any different to the wider population: it’s only a media complicit with its own myth that says it’s any other way.
Yes you're probably right, I do find it odd that we've gone from innocent until proven guilty, to immediate cancellation nowadays

Which venue are you seeing the James & the Mondays at Hovis, i'm seeing them in Dec at the MEN. James posted this today.

Yes you're probably right, I do find it odd that we've gone from innocent until proven guilty, to immediate cancellation nowadays

Which venue are you seeing the James & the Mondays at Hovis, i'm seeing them in Dec at the MEN. James posted this today.

Looking forward to James. Last saw them in 2016 with the Charlatans.
Tim Booth will be turning up at the MEN in his canoe, with Hooky and Ryder at the wheel 🙄🛶🛶

Cardiff Motorpoint for me: it’s the only arena size venue I like to be honest. I was at Leeds Arena a couple of weeks ago, I’d forgotten how bad it is. The band (OMD) were great though.

Looking forward to James. Last saw them in 2016 with the Charlatans.
Tim Booth will be turning up at the MEN in his canoe, with Hooky and Ryder at the wheel 🙄🛶🛶

Same, one of the best live acts around and fantastic that they are able to sell out arenas 40 years on from when they first started. James are one of the few bands that are more successful in their later years than they were in their earlier years. (in the UK)

"What have girls to offer (anyway)? Nothing but a mangled jungle of tangled hair presented as the jackpot payoff. Honeypots sprawled like open graves, their owners doing nothing at all other than letting you."

Morrissey prefers, if at all, to have cultivated conversations with attractive men about first pressings by the artist of the century, Sasha Distel, rather than with euphoric women as fans.
well, i had assumed so.

Feel sorry for the rest of the band as through no fault of their own, their careers are over as well.
The Bluetones have been a Britpop nostalgia act for years, with no creative ambitions, deprived of their livelihood with Morriss trousers constantly unzipped. Ridiculous really, as it's the classic RnR syndrome that the frontman has probably lived out to the full here. Times have changed.

The Bluetones have been a Britpop nostalgia act for years, with no creative ambitions, deprived of their livelihood with Morriss trousers constantly unzipped. Ridiculous really, as it's the classic RnR syndrome that the frontman has probably lived out to the full here. Times have changed.
Your a strange one Frank 😉

I have a classic rock background, Baz.
I don’t ever think of you any other way Frank.

I find it hilarious every time Princess Fiona waves her wand on here, and the same arguments, with the same people arises.

Rather dull and repetitive of course Frank, but you as a proud German, you don’t have to tolerate the cricket nonsense that screams from Radio and TV .
Even more intolerable.

I don’t ever think of you any other way Frank.

I find it hilarious every time Princess Fiona waves her wand on here, and the same arguments, with the same people arises.

Rather dull and repetitive of course Frank, but you as a proud German, you don’t have to tolerate the cricket nonsense that screams from Radio and TV .
Even more intolerable.! I just think it's so sad that Morrissey still applauds such "authors" as Fiona on his official channels. All sense of abstraction and outward appearance has been lost and they cling to busy, subjective reports from fangirls. If it wasn't flaunted here, she'd probably end up thinking it was earnest journalism.! I just think it's so sad that Morrissey still applauds such "authors" as Fiona on his official channels. All sense of abstraction and outward appearance has been lost and they cling to busy, subjective reports from fangirls. If it wasn't flaunted here, she'd probably end up thinking it was earnest journalism.
Ach, Baz! I just think it's so sad that Morrissey still applauds such "authors" as Fiona on his official channels. All sense of abstraction and outward appearance has been lost and they cling to busy, subjective reports from fangirls. If it wasn't flaunted here, she'd probably end up thinking it was earnest journalism.

Ach, Baz! I just think it's so sad that Morrissey still applauds such "authors" as Fiona on his official channels. All sense of abstraction and outward appearance has been lost and they cling to busy, subjective reports from fangirls. If it wasn't flaunted here, she'd probably end up thinking it was earnest journalism.
Who else is left to applaud him in the printed press???
Yes we all know the answer to my Question......No 4cker,
And why???
Well we all know the answer to that one as well,
He’s burned every bridge he’s ever walked on..

Why has he burned every bridge?
Because he’s Morrissey....

We either buy into it (still)
Or we don't.

Me, I still don the Moz t shirt and docs , but have now accepted that people will say to me “oh he’s been saying dodgy things lately “

When I ask them to explain, they harp on about 2017 comments he’s made.
I will defend some of those comments he made, but not all.
Unfortunately, now his comments are commented on more than his music

WtF?? off topic FFS, this is not a suco "James" thread,
surfboard with his off topic spam again(n)

to wit:
Aug 28 29 Vegas Moz sellout(y)
Sept 2 4 5 Vegas Moz sellout(y)
Sept 16 Riot Fest Moz sellout(y)

Moz continues to roll on, no need for unexisting no 1 vinyl propgagnada:hammer:

Who else is left to applaud him in the printed press???
Yes we all know the answer to my Question......No 4cker,
And why???
Well we all know the answer to that one as well,
He’s burned every bridge he’s ever walked on..

Why has he burned every bridge?
Because he’s Morrissey....

We either buy into it (still)
Or we don't.

Me, I still don the Moz t shirt and docs , but have now accepted that people will say to me “oh he’s been saying dodgy things lately “

When I ask them to explain, they harp on about 2017 comments he’s made.
I will defend some of those comments he made, but not all.
Unfortunately, now his comments are commented on more than his music
That's very nuanced, Baz. Believe me, I live in Germany and Morrissey is of course only known to those who are somewhat more deeply rooted in British pop culture. Of those few, almost all have lost their passion for him and more. My attitude is still ambivalent, because it meant so much to me, but friends know how to annoy me with it. And you just can't wash away everything he has said and done in the last 10 years. Damn it, you can't.

That's very nuanced, Baz. Believe me, I live in Germany and Morrissey is of course only known to those who are somewhat more deeply rooted in British pop culture. Of those few, almost all have lost their passion for him and more. My attitude is still ambivalent, because it meant so much to me, but friends know how to annoy me with it. And you just can't wash away everything he has said and done in the last 10 years. Damn it, you can't.
In some respects Morrissey has said and done more than any one (not just pop stars) for free speech, human, animal rights, than any politician, or activists put together in the last ten years. myself I don’t always agree with all his views, but at least he has the balls to say it .
He says it in the live arena and in the media..
Yes it’s cost him (and us) dearly...
So I understand your post above ..
But...
Do you still get butterflies when the album/ tour dates are released???
And do you still get excited knowing that both releases could be only weeks away?
I know I do .

In some respects Morrissey has said and done more than any one (not just pop stars) for free speech, human, animal rights, than any politician, or activists put together in the last ten years. myself I don’t always agree with all his views, but at least he has the balls to say it .
He says it in the live arena and in the media..
Yes it’s cost him (and us) dearly...
So I understand your post above ..
But...
Do you still get butterflies when the album/ tour dates are released???
And do you still get excited knowing that both releases could be only weeks away?
I know I do .

I agree with you on a lot of these points Baz and yes I still get excited when a new album is due but I also get what Phranc is saying. I have a group of mates who have been going to see bands since the late 70's and pre 17, 9 out of the 9 would go and see Morrissey, on the last proper tour, that had dwindled to 2 out of the 9, however all 9 of us went to see New Order at the O2 a couple of weeks ago. Appreciate its just me and my mates view but it's quite telling, on a plus note we are all off to see The Stranglers, The Bunnymen, Peter Hook and Sleeper in the new year!

I agree with you on a lot of these points Baz and yes I still get excited when a new album is due but I also get what Phranc is saying. I have a group of mates who have been going to see bands since the late 70's and pre 17, 9 out of the 9 would go and see Morrissey, on the last proper tour, that had dwindled to 2 out of the 9, however all 9 of us went to see New Order at the O2 a couple of weeks ago. Appreciate its just me and my mates view but it's quite telling, on a plus note we are all off to see The Stranglers, The Bunnymen, Peter Hook and Sleeper in the new year!
I couldn’t or wouldn’t knock anyone who has gotten pissed off with Moz.
It’s understandable for those who have, and yes I’ve noticed it over the las few years, and things won’t be picking up so fast any time soon.

Bonfire will be a disaster, a newer low. If it’s ever released.
And yes, you and your friends speak
Volumes when it comes to concert going folks who are just fed up with him.

RE our Frank....
He’s just a darling ain’t he 😇😇

I couldn’t or wouldn’t knock anyone who has gotten pissed off with Moz.
It’s understandable for those who have, and yes I’ve noticed it over the las few years, and things won’t be picking up so fast any time soon.

Bonfire will be a disaster, a newer low. If it’s ever released.
And yes, you and your friends speak
Volumes when it comes to concert going folks who are just fed up with him.

RE our Frank....
He’s just a darling ain’t he 😇😇
The mention of the Bonfire album is a tease.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom