Greatest Hits

OscarWilde

If this new greatest hits compilation happens, what do you think the tracklisting would be? My thoughts are;

Suedehead
Everyday is like sunday
Last of the famous international playboys
November spawned a monster
Our Frank
certain people i know
we hate it when..
your the one for me fatty
the more you ignore me..
dagenham dave
Boxers
Alma matters
Irish blood english heart
first of the gang to die
You have killed me

then some new songs thrown in for good measure! Nice collecion i think, one of the best 'greatest hits' about!

Do you think it would be double or single? Time constraints and all. I hope they include the Hollywood Bowl show, but that's wishful thinking.

Sorry Kewpie i should have looked! :D

Ummm most Greatest hits are one CD usually aren't they? Going by his other releases id say its safe to say there will be some new tracks and some live ones.

Sorry Kewpie i should have looked! :D

Ummm most Greatest hits are one CD usually aren't they? Going by his other releases id say its safe to say there will be some new tracks and some live ones.

true but mozzer has so many songs, so many good songs...but as far as hits go then yeah 1cd is about right really :D

I think, if the tracks were chosen carefully enough (with a view to attracting casual fans rather than existing ones) it could be big-seller and introduce a lot more people to his music. If he signs to warner and they release it, heavy promotion for the Greatest Hits would definitely pay off when it came to releasing an album of new material. in my humble opinion anyway... and it would make sense to try to use The Smiths material to their advantage too...

If this new greatest hits compilation happens, what do you think the tracklisting would be? My thoughts are;

Suedehead
Everyday is like sunday
Last of the famous international playboys
November spawned a monster
Our Frank
certain people i know
we hate it when..
your the one for me fatty
the more you ignore me..
dagenham dave
Boxers
Alma matters
Irish blood english heart
first of the gang to die
You have killed me

then some new songs thrown in for good measure! Nice collecion i think, one of the best 'greatest hits' about!

Dagenham Dave? Are you kidding?'

ummm, yeah...let's put that one instead of Tomorrow, Now My Heart Is Full, Speedway, or any of the much better album tracks or B-sides...

As I said once..The only collection worth buying would be a 2-disc COMPLETE singles collection OR a 1-Disc collection of Singles from Southpaw Grammar-Present...I have no desire to purchase yet another mismatch collection that has become the norm of Morrissey compliations....I'll probably be downloading the new songs...and not buying another repackage...I still don't own "Best" or "Best II"...and I don't ever plan to...

here goes:

Suedehead
Everyday Is Like Sunday
The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
November Spawned A Monster
Our Frank
Sing Your Life
We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful
You're The One For Me, Fatty
The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
Now My Heart Is Full
Boxers
The Boy Racer
Alma Matters
Satan Rejected My Soul
Irish Blood, English Heart
First Of The Gang To Die
You Have Killed Me
In The Future When All's Well
That's How People Grow Up
All You Need Is Me

20 tracks, two from each era ('88, '89-90, '91, '92, '94, '95, '97, '04, '06) plus two new songs. sequenced chronologically, but it actually sounds great asa tracklisting.

"That's How People Grow Up" as the single with "I Want To Wrap My Arms Around Paris" on the b-side along with one or two other tracks, preferably studio recordings ("I'm Playing Easy-To-Get" or something we havnt heard as yet), but good live versions of songs not included on the compilation would be good as well (perhaps "I Have Forgiven Jesus" and "I Just Want To See The Boy Happy" would make sense).

"All You Need Is Me" to be included only on the compilation as extra incentive to buy it.

and whatever you do, don't call it Greatest Hits.

Come on now how can one not like Dagenham Dave!? :D

Oh I don't NOT like...I just think it's one of his weakest singles...only slightly better than Roy's Keen

here goes:

Suedehead
Everyday Is Like Sunday
The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
November Spawned A Monster
Our Frank
Sing Your Life
We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful
You're The One For Me, Fatty
The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
Now My Heart Is Full
Boxers
The Boy Racer
Alma Matters
Satan Rejected My Soul
Irish Blood, English Heart
First Of The Gang To Die
You Have Killed Me
In The Future When All's Well
That's How People Grow Up
All You Need Is Me

20 tracks, two from each era ('88, '89-90, '91, '92, '94, '95, '97, '04, '06) plus two new songs. sequenced chronologically, but it actually sounds great asa tracklisting.

"That's How People Grow Up" as the single with "I Want To Wrap My Arms Around Paris" on the b-side along with one or two other tracks, preferably studio recordings ("I'm Playing Easy-To-Get" or something we havnt heard as yet), but good live versions of songs not included on the compilation would be good as well (perhaps "I Have Forgiven Jesus" and "I Just Want To See The Boy Happy" would make sense).

"All You Need Is Me" to be included only on the compilation as extra incentive to buy it.

and whatever you do, don't call it Greatest Hits.

As long as you're "Boycotting Moz"...I don't think you're entitled to have an opinion on the subject...since you'll no doubt not buy whatever gets released.... :p

As long as you're "Boycotting Moz"...I don't think you're entitled to have an opinion on the subject...since you'll no doubt not buy whatever gets released.... :p

iwouldnt buy it anyway for the same reason you dont buy compilations of this sort- it's useless redundancy for those who already hav everything. itoo would juste download the new songs.

still, yuve got to admit, it's a pretty solid tracklisting and would definitely be a very good introduction to those less accustomed to the Moz cannon. im sure the actual collection will be far inferior, as hav been most of the Morrissey comps.

iwouldnt buy it anyway for the same reason you dont buy compilations of this sort- it's useless redundancy for those who already hav everything. itoo would juste download the new songs.

still, yuve got to admit, it's a pretty solid tracklisting and would definitely be a very good introduction to those less accustomed to the Moz cannon. im sure the actual collection will be far inferior, as hav been most of the Morrissey comps.

Okay...but I think it's time you drop the whole Boycott thing...seriously...

There's already been a Best Of Morrissey (US), so only a second Singles Collection or a 2-Disc complete anthology will suffice

Okay...but I think it's time you drop the whole Boycott thing...seriously...

There's already been a Best Of Morrissey (US), so only a second Singles Collection or a 2-Disc complete anthology will suffice

ididnt bring up the boycott, you did- and Morrissey hasnt dropped it, so why should i? why should igiv him my money when he wont even grace me with an appearance? for that matter, why should igiv my money to him even if he did return? iwill if iwish.

and, as far as "greatest hits" compilations, ifind they're always disatisfying from the point-of-view on an ardent fan- they're juste redundant. the only time it may be somewhat worthwhile is at the end of a recording career (a posthumous release or after the break-up of a band), and only if they do it reasonably proper (at that point it is still redundant, but there at least a certain lasting novelty). otherwise, if it's done in the midst of a career, it's immeadiately dated and unsatisfactory the moment something new is released.

singles collections are equally redundant and pointless. idont buy singles and today no one has to- you can juste download non-album tracks. if its about the artwork and the tangible record in your hand, well box-set collections sort of undermine that novelty in my mind. if you collect singles, ithink it should be about buying every single individually, the week of release (or by searching back the years you missed). getting a box-set is cheating and robs all the magic. im not concerned with magic, juste the music, and id rather not hav chopped up into seperate discs, 3 or 4 tracks a piece. isuppose it would be nice for some to get a 95-97 and a 04-07 singles collection, but not for me.

ilook at "greatest hits" compilations more as promotional pieces, meant to cater to the casual or non-fan in the hopes that they will become ardent fans after the introduction. in this case, a one cd, carrying spanning set is far more effective than an expensive singles collection or double cd anthology.

Last edited:
ididnt bring up the boycott, you did- and Morrissey hasnt dropped it, so why should i? why should igiv him my money when he wont even grace me with an appearance? for that matter, why should igiv my money to him even if he did return? iwill if iwish.

and, as far as "greatest hits" compilations, ifind they're always disatisfying from the point-of-view on an ardent fan- they're juste redundant. the only time it may be somewhat worthwhile is at the end of a recording career (a posthumous release or after the break-up of a band), and only if they do it reasonably proper (at that point it is still redundant, but there at least a certain lasting novelty). otherwise, if it's done in the midst of a career, it's immeadiately dated and unsatisfactory the moment something new is released.

singles collections are equally redundant and pointless. idont buy singles and today no one has to- you can juste download non-album tracks. if its about the artwork and the tangible record in your hand, well box-set collections sort of undermine that novelty in my mind. if you collect singles, ithink it should be about buying every single individually, the week of release (or by searching back the years you missed). getting a box-set is cheating and robs all the magic. im not concerned with magic, juste the music, and id rather not hav chopped up into seperate discs, 3 or 4 tracks a piece. isuppose it would be nice for some to get a 95-97 and a 04-07 singles collection, but not for me.

ilook at "greatest hits" compilations more as promotional pieces, meant to cater to the casual or non-fan in the hopes that they will become ardent fans after the introduction. in this case, a one cd, carrying spanning set is far more effective than an expensive singles collection or double cd anthology.

Your Avatar...don't you think it's just a bit silly?

no, ithink it looks great- it would make a great t-shirt.

Why come onto a Morrissey forum with an anti-Morrissey attitude?

It's been a year, he's not coming to Canada...just get over it

Back
Top Bottom