Is Morrissey now past his best?

I am chatting with five separate guys right now--all have college degrees and are attractive. And live less than an hour away. Not desperate at all.

Donald Trump has a college degree so what's your point?

Donald Trump has a college degree...

That he does. And great hair to boot! None of my chatters have hair like this...

donald-trump_hair_blown_02.jpg

...so what's your point?

It is exactly as stated.

Yes, Morrissey is past his best if (a.) you're a tasteful musicologist with a meaningful opinion of what his "best" was and (b.) you can predict the future.

(And yet you're here.)

So it's a reasonable contention.

I am chatting with five separate guys right now--all have college degrees and are attractive. And live less than an hour away. Not desperate at all.

You sound like Blanche Dubois. Or Laura Wingman, carrying on about "gentlemen callers." Cate Blanchette will have to eat raw meat for a week before she can approximate your frazzled state. But I can already hear her lambasting the "low rent" bastards who brought about her online downfall.

Hi Peter. FBE is faith-based epistemology. Saying someone has one means you are essentially stating that: A person with a FBE claims to know things about the world based on faith. Not evidence. It is not the same as having an opinion. Opinions are relative and subjective. Knowledge claims are absolute, objective. Making a knowledge claim without evidence to support such a claim is having a FBE.

Faith: pretending to know things you don't know.

Faith claims are knowledge claims.

Epistemology:

Epistemology is a branch of philosophy that focuses on how we come to knowledge, what knowledge is, and what processes of knowing the world are reliable. Conclusions one comes to as the result of an epistemological process are knowledge claims. A knowledge claim is an assertion of truth.

Faith: pretending to know things you don't.

God works in mysterious ways.

I am pretending to know that god works in mysterious ways.

My faith is true for me.

Pretending to know things I don't know is true for me.

Why should people stop having faith if it helps them get through the day?

Why should people stop pretending to know things they don’t know if it helps them get through the day?

Faith and hope are not synonyms.

One can hope for anything or place one’s trust in anyone or anything. This is not the same as claiming to know something. To hope for something admits there’s a possibility that what you want may not be realized. For example, if you hope your stock will rise tomorrow, you are not claiming to know your stock will rise; you want your stock to rise, but you recognize there’s a possibility it may not. Desire is not certainty but the wish for an outcome.​

FBE - Faith-based epistemology as opposed to a reason-based epistemology - RBE.

tg;dr

I joined this forum because I thought I'd enjoy talking about Mozza's music with other people but I'm sorry it's full of trolls. I reckon it really is "So Low."

I want my account deleted. To Mr Tseng: You clearly have the best of intentions David it's not your fault that this place has attracted such people.

Bye bye.

I joined this forum because I thought I'd enjoy talking about Mozza's music with other people but I'm sorry it's full of trolls. I reckon it really is "So Low."

I want my account deleted. To Mr Tseng: You clearly have the best of intentions David it's not your fault that this place has attracted such people.

Bye bye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Peter. FBE is faith-based epistemology. Saying someone has one means you are essentially stating that: A person with a FBE claims to know things about the world based on faith. Not evidence. It is not the same as having an opinion. Opinions are relative and subjective. Knowledge claims are absolute, objective. Making a knowledge claim without evidence to support such a claim is having a FBE.

Faith: pretending to know things you don't know.

Faith claims are knowledge claims.

Epistemology:

Epistemology is a branch of philosophy that focuses on how we come to knowledge, what knowledge is, and what processes of knowing the world are reliable. Conclusions one comes to as the result of an epistemological process are knowledge claims. A knowledge claim is an assertion of truth.

Faith: pretending to know things you don't.

God works in mysterious ways.

I am pretending to know that god works in mysterious ways.

My faith is true for me.

Pretending to know things I don't know is true for me.

Why should people stop having faith if it helps them get through the day?

Why should people stop pretending to know things they don’t know if it helps them get through the day?

Faith and hope are not synonyms.

One can hope for anything or place one’s trust in anyone or anything. This is not the same as claiming to know something. To hope for something admits there’s a possibility that what you want may not be realized. For example, if you hope your stock will rise tomorrow, you are not claiming to know your stock will rise; you want your stock to rise, but you recognize there’s a possibility it may not. Desire is not certainty but the wish for an outcome.​

FBE - Faith-based epistemology as opposed to a reason-based epistemology - RBE.

Who is teaching you all this bullshit? lol.

All knowledge/reason is based on faith, there is no "truth" and god is most likely dead. Read some Bertrand Russell, watch some Bagpuss http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9beAp3TG2E ideally the episode about the chocolate busciut machine that I found particularly enlightening and listen to "pressure drop" by Toots and the Maytals http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRSwjhYmAY4 - you'll work it out

Who is teaching you all this...?

All knowledge/reason is based on faith, there is no "truth"...

Are you claiming we cannot 'know' anything for certain? How do you know we cannot know anything for certain, if you cannot know anything for certain?

...and god is most likely dead.

ee2bcca0-d973-32a2-8c1f-cecd162c007c

Read some Bertrand Russell...

Specifically?

... watch some Bagpuss http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9beAp3TG2E ideally the episode about the chocolate busciut machine that I found particularly enlightening and listen to "pressure drop" by Toots and the Maytals http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRSwjhYmAY4 - you'll work it out

OK, sure, I have forty-five minutes to kill until Mad Men starts.

Are you claiming we cannot 'know' anything for certain? How do you know we cannot know anything for certain, if you cannot know anything for certain?

ee2bcca0-d973-32a2-8c1f-cecd162c007c

Specifically?

OK, sure, I have forty-five minutes to kill until Mad Men starts.

There is no truth (or at least we can't access it) at the moment - in the future anything is possible but right now all we have is faith. That faith maybe in science or reason or God but all the same its faith.

Specifically read about his indictive turkey.

There is no truth (or at least we can't access it) at the moment - in the future anything is possible but right now all we have is faith. That faith maybe in science or reason or God but all the same its faith.

Specifically read about his indictive turkey.

Inductivist Turkey? Will do.

Loved the Toots song, btw. But got sidetracked last night and didn't get a chance to see the Bagpuss short. Maybe later today.

I'll admit it looked like he was past his best to me when Ringleader came out, however it's grown on me since. I thought Years of Refusal was great and something to be excited about. So far World Peace definitely has my interest.

Back
Top Bottom