James and Johnny Marr US Tour

Every time I see something like this (and it's happening more and more regularly these days), my first thought is: God, what must Morrissey think?

(I realise this means I'm mentally ill / unhealthily obsessed - that's fine, whatever - but he must surely, on some level, care? Does it niggle away at him? Does it make him more determined to somehow keep making new songs, and get back out there? Or is he chugging a cheeky vodka and tonic at 11.30am in a Zurich hotel and mentally reliving his former glory days from the 90s, safe in the knowledge that his former friends and bandmates will never receive that level of adoration?)
Wasn’t James the first band handpicked by the Smiths to support them on tour? And there’s also a live Smiths cover of one of the early James songs (What’s the world). It’s a glorious past that Morrissey & Marr once shared, now it feels like Marr is claiming it as his own and I can’t imagine Morrissey laughing about it.
On the other hand, we know that Morrissey hasn’t made it easy on himself by shutting down his communication lines with so many fellow musicians and former bandmates. And he seems unable to reverse course, to make up with old friends. That makes me really feel sad for him.

Yes, at the Torhout festival, but he hasn’t done a club tour in a few years here.
James for some reason very rarely visit Western Europe.
Which Belgian festival are you talking about?
I see no shows in Belgium posted on Johnny’s website.

Never gotten into James. No idea why. Seemed quite boring. Everyone has heard Sit Down, though.

Every time I see something like this (and it's happening more and more regularly these days), my first thought is: God, what must Morrissey think?
If he's any sense he should be thinking 'Cool - someone else is out there promoting the music of The Smiths, and as a bonus I'll get paid performance royalties for every Smiths song Johnny plays'. There should be zero downside to his career as a result of things like this.

Wasn’t James the first band handpicked by the Smiths to support them on tour? there’s also a live Smiths cover of one of the early James songs (What’s the world). It’s a glorious past that Morrissey & Marr once shared, now it feels like Marr is claiming it as his own and I can’t imagine Morrissey laughing about it.
On the other hand, we know that Morrissey hasn’t made it easy on himself by shutting down his communication lines with so many fellow musicians and former bandmates. And he seems unable to reverse course, to make up with old friends. That makes me really feel sad for him.
I think it was Meat is Murder. Morrissey once said James is one of the best bands in the world, would honestly love to hear Morrissey sing Laid, or would have, not at the age he is now.

You're posting on a message board dedicated to a 64 year old man.

Yes, I'm well aware. But so far Morrissey hasn't done anything as cheesy, gimmicky, and washed-up as performing with a full orchestra like Johnny Marr and James have done. Plus I was listening to the new James album the other day ("their first no. 1 in 40 years!" cheer the dads) and I couldn't even make it past the first two songs. The second song was so bad I thought, "what is this shit?" and the answer is: Life's a F*cking Miracle. Musically it's as awful as Knockabout World, but lyrically it's fathoms worse. I will reproduce the lyrics. I am confident that Morrissey, no matter how lazy he gets, will never write anything so gooey. You can just picture the suburbanites shaking their asses and singing along.

LIFE'S A F*CKING MIRACLE

I'm another dumb fish in another dumb bowl (oh)
Screaming in an echo chamber
Waste so much time, sucked online (oh)
Waste so much time, review my life
How sharp's my knife
Raise your glass
Life's a f*cking miracle
We're made of light
Our form is physical
If we love life
Life loves reciprocal
Celebrate
She, he, we, they
Welcome sign
(She, he, they, we)
She, he, we, they
Welcome sign
(She, he, they, we)
What shapes our lives is our mind
Thoughts become material
Power lies with those who control (oh)
Our storylines
This body's mine
And love's no crime
Raise your glass
Life's a f*cking miracle
We're made of light
Our form is physical
If we love life
Life loves reciprocal
Celebrate
She, he, we, they
Welcome sign
(She, he, they, we)
She, he, we, they
Welcome sign
(She, he, they, we)
(She, he, they, we)
She, he, they, we
(She, he, they, we)
She, he, they, we
(She, he, they, we)
She, he, they, we
(She, he, they, we)
Raise your glass
Life's a f*cking miracle
We're made of light
Our form is physical
If we love life
Life loves reciprocal
Celebrate
She, he, we, they
Welcome sign
(She, he, they, we)
She, he, we, they
Welcome sign
(She, he, they, we)

Yes, I'm well aware. But so far Morrissey hasn't done anything as cheesy, gimmicky, and washed-up as performing with a full orchestra like Johnny Marr and James have done. Plus I was listening to the new James album the other day ("their first no. 1 in 40 years!" cheer the dads) and I couldn't even make it past the first two songs. The second song was so bad I thought, "what is this shit?" and the answer is: Life's a F*cking Miracle. Musically it's as awful as Knockabout World, but lyrically it's fathoms worse. I will reproduce the lyrics. I am confident that Morrissey, no matter how lazy he gets, will never write anything so gooey. You can just picture the suburbanites shaking their asses and singing along.

LIFE'S A F*CKING MIRACLE

How sharp's my knife
Raise your glass
Life's a f*cking miracle
We're made of light
Our form is physical
If we love life
Life loves reciprocal
Celebrate
She, he, we, they
Welcome sign
(She, he, they, we)
She, he, we, they
Welcome sign
(She, he, they, we)
Thoughts become material
Our storylines
This body's mine
And love's no crime
Raise your glass
Life's a f*cking miracle
We're made of light
Our form is physical
If we love life
Life loves reciprocal
Celebrate
She, he, we, they
Welcome sign
(She, he, they, we)
She, he, we, they
Welcome sign
(She, he, they, we)
(She, he, they, we)
She, he, they, we
(She, he, they, we)
She, he, they, we
(She, he, they, we)
She, he, they, we
(She, he, they, we)
Raise your glass
Life's a f*cking miracle
We're made of light
Our form is physical
If we love life
Life loves reciprocal
Celebrate
She, he, we, they
Welcome sign
(She, he, they, we)
She, he, we, they
Welcome sign
(She, he, they, we)

As bad as Marr’s lyrics. Didn’t think it possible.

Though, not my favorite M song, but in comparison, musically Knockabout World slays the James song.
KW is far more interesting, with great dynamics and a catchy chorus. Plus, I don’t know what that anon is on about, Morrissey is a rocker, not a dad. Not a ‘dad-rocker’ like those other bozos.

As bad as Marr’s lyrics. Didn’t think it possible.

Though, not my favorite M song, but in comparison, musically Knockabout World slays the James song.
KW is far more interesting, with great dynamics and a catchy chorus. Plus, I don’t know what that anon is on about, Morrissey is a rocker, not a dad. Not a ‘dad-rocker’ like those other bozos.

Morrissey is not a rocker, he is a crooner. A dad crooner.

Every time I see something like this (and it's happening more and more regularly these days), my first thought is: God, what must Morrissey think?...
Wasn’t James the first band handpicked by the Smiths to support them on tour? And there’s also a live Smiths cover of one of the early James songs (What’s the world). It’s a glorious past that Morrissey & Marr once shared, now it feels like Marr is claiming it as his own and I can’t imagine Morrissey laughing about it...
Maybe all this shared past glory will provide the miracle so many crave.
Imagine - Johnny is about to do a song and says he needs a hand with the vocals and everyone assumes TB will be bouncing back on, but instead it's Moz.

Can't something like this happen at last?

Plus, I don’t know what that anon is on about, Morrissey is a rocker, not a dad. Not a ‘dad-rocker’ like those other bozos.

I'd say Morrissey does come close to dad-rock. One of Brummie Boy's most wicked put-down lines was calling the World Peace/Low in High School period "that dad-rock with world-music flourishes busted flush phase." But I also think a crucial aspect of dad-rock is being generic and savvy and crowd-pleasing, and even though Morrissey can still draw a crowd, he's too much of a pariah and a moaning diva to be a truly successful dad-rocker. The dads just want to dance and reminisce and rock out. Morrissey's continued dysfunction has its downsides, yet it saves him from a worse fate.

Last edited:
I am glad Marr is touring the US and will very likely go see him, but I hope he adds some more Smiths and even Electronic songs to his usual repertoire. Also, let us be frank, it is high time that Marr and Morrissey go on a reunion tour. Both are in good health and are still capable performers, but at their age you never know when that will change. I hope they both read this post and decide to finally reconcile.

LIFE'S A F*CKING MIRACLE

How sharp's my knife
Raise your glass
Life's a f*cking miracle
We're made of light
Our form is physical
If we love life
Life loves reciprocal
Celebrate
She, he, we, they
Welcome sign
(She, he, they, we)
She, he, we, they
Welcome sign
(She, he, they, we)
Thoughts become material
Our storylines
This body's mine
And love's no crime
Raise your glass
Life's a f*cking miracle
We're made of light
Our form is physical
If we love life
Life loves reciprocal
Celebrate
She, he, we, they
Welcome sign
(She, he, they, we)
She, he, we, they
Welcome sign
(She, he, they, we)
(She, he, they, we)
She, he, they, we
(She, he, they, we)
She, he, they, we
(She, he, they, we)
She, he, they, we
(She, he, they, we)
Raise your glass
Life's a f*cking miracle
We're made of light
Our form is physical
If we love life
Life loves reciprocal
Celebrate
She, he, we, they
Welcome sign
(She, he, they, we)
She, he, we, they
Welcome sign
(She, he, they, we)
I don’t mind anyone wanting to perform with an orchestra when the music is worthy but i absolutely do mind these lyrics! SO DIRE

Presale codes are all Soundcheck for the ones currently showing on X, namely:

Warner Theatre
Orpheum Theatre
Bayou Music Center
Brooklyn Paramount
Fillmore New Orleans.

I would say for Boston/Orpheun if I were going, I probably would not do the presale because The Orpheum almost always hold onto really good tickets for the regular sale. Also, this is three times Johnny's normal capacity at The Paradise, which is about 900 and The Orpheum is 2,700. I would go but I hate Boston venues now, Live Nation controls them all.

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom